Sponsored by:

Rennline Fire Extinguisher Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 08:41 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts
Default Rennline Fire Extinguisher Mount

Has anyone installed the adjustable Rennline extinguisher mount in a 991 with 18-way seats with ventilation? Any issues or compromises?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:49 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Anyone?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Almost useless post this.

I love the rennline FE mount. I’ve put several in 928s. When I needed to add an FE mount to the now-departed 981 with 18-ways, I wanted to get a rennline mount but saw that it wasn’t listed for that seat.

I didn’t follow up with the rennline folks. Have you tried direct contact?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:57 PM
xford
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I use the Rennline adjustable mount #FE14.13 with an Element Fire Extinguisher on 14-way seats with ventilation & no issues
Old 08-10-2020, 11:10 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Almost useless post this.

I love the rennline FE mount. I’ve put several in 928s. When I needed to add an FE mount to the now-departed 981 with 18-ways, I wanted to get a rennline mount but saw that it wasn’t listed for that seat.

I didn’t follow up with the rennline folks. Have you tried direct contact?
Sorry to disappoint you.

I did inquire and get a reply from Rennline, with a somewhat cryptic statement that it works but might require some compromise of seat position and mount extension. Getting a personal account from a fellow Rennlister helps clear up uncertainty.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:14 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Would be good to know how they work for other forum members too. Thanks
Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

^
I'm also looking to buy one and would also like to hear from other how it worked out.
Also have 18 ways, but without ventilation.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:08 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Sorry to disappoint you.

I did inquire and get a reply from Rennline, with a somewhat cryptic statement that it works but might require some compromise of seat position and mount extension. Getting a personal account from a fellow Rennlister helps clear up uncertainty.
I'm not sure, but I think Worf was being self-deprecating, saying that his own post was going to be almost useless - not that your original post was almost useless.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Porsche (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to disappoint you.
I didn't understand this --^ until ...
Originally Posted by mgordon18
I'm not sure, but I think Worf was being self-deprecating, saying that his own post was going to be almost useless - not that your original post was almost useless.
... I read this --^.

And that's exactly it. *my* post was almost useless. Sorry for not communicating more clearly.

I did inquire and get a reply from Rennline, with a somewhat cryptic statement that it works but might require some compromise of seat position and mount extension.
Don't cha just love customer service like that?

Getting a personal account from a fellow Rennlister helps clear up uncertainty.
Originally Posted by Jack F
Would be good to know how they work for other forum members too. Thanks
Originally Posted by dannyss
^
I'm also looking to buy one and would also like to hear from other how it worked out.
Also have 18 ways, but without ventilation.
Having installed these mounts in 928s, Rennline's response is rather non-responsive.

On 928s it is the perfect mount because it's bolted not to the floor, but between the seat's sliders and the seat bottom thus moving with the seat. It results in no compromise of either seat position or mount extension whereas all the other mounts, that bolt to the floor pan between the pan and the sliders, have a significant impact on seat position since they cannot move with the seat.

If we assume that, on the modern seats, the Rennline mounts the same way then the obvious issue on the 18-way seats would be the pneumatic thigh support that extends from the front of the seat bottom. It might be that one cannot extend the thigh support at all or only a bit without coming into contact with the FE or it's attachment bracket. If the mechanism is mounted on the passenger seat, then it wouldn't be a serious issue if no long-legged passengers are transported. Or perhaps, on non-track days, for tall persnickety passengers, the FE and attachment bracket could be removed.

A non-obvious issue would be if the bottom of the 18-ways have some sort of protrusion or component that prevents the mount from being bolted to them. But, one would reasonably expect Rennline's response to be "can't be done" not "compromise."

So... looks like someone's going to have to be a Guinea Pig and figure out what Rennline actually means.

On the other hand, since the mount is (IIRC) supposed to work with 14-ways, if anyone has mounted it on 14-ways we might be able to determine 'what's the deal' with 18-ways from a picture or three.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by xford
I use the Rennline adjustable mount #FE14.13 with an Element Fire Extinguisher on 14-way seats with ventilation & no issues
Old 08-11-2020, 06:52 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I missed this! Can you post a picture?
Old 08-11-2020, 08:02 PM
xford
Advanced

I missed this! Can you post a picture?
Here you go - there is a rotating pressure tab that I just leave released (red tab in 3rd pic). Its a somewhat sung fit with the tab released on the adjustable track so no movement or rattles etc. If I move the seat all the way up it simply pushes the Element extinguisher forward on its track (just part way with the seat all the way forward so it does not detach from the base). I would guess you have 6 inches of forward motion until it even touches. Its hard to take good pics but the 4th one shows how the extinguisher is positioned after moving the seat all the way forward and back again - then you can simply slide it back by hand.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:58 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

I didn't understand this --^ until ...

... I read this --^.

And that's exactly it. *my* post was almost useless. Sorry for not communicating more clearly.
No worries. I was being a bit dense.

I ordered the mount, and we will see how it fits.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:18 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here you go - .... I would guess you have 6 inches of forward motion until it even touches.
Ok. So, if I read this right, the bracket is between the floor pan and the seat rails and therefore does not move with the seat?

Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 PM
xford
Advanced

Ok. So, if I read this right, the bracket is between the floor pan and the seat rails and therefore does not move with the seat?
Thats correct for this model at least. The base for the adjustable bracket/holder is installed under the seat rails using the stock front bolts.

Quick Reply: Rennline Fire Extinguisher Mount