Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020 | 09:30 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Love this place. Thank you all.
Old 08-11-2020 | 11:29 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

To answer your other question, the dummy key or ignition switch/blade actually comes out, and you can insert your key fob in the slot it comes out of. To do that, unlock car, put your key fob outside the car, go in and turn key switch to “on” position then off then on again. You should hear a click and get a message saying you can remove the blade.
The following 2 users liked this post by Need4S:
Bubbabuzz (08-19-2020), RSBro (08-21-2020)
Old 08-12-2020 | 05:50 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

I keep my key in my purse, but I've noticed that I had to fish it out of my bag and bring it closer to the steering wheel to start up the car a couple of times. Car didn't read the fob, so I wonder if the fob battery is getting low? Other times, it's been fine, so go figure. May have to ask the dealership the next time it goes in for anything.
Old 08-12-2020 | 08:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by macanakey
I keep my key in my purse, but I've noticed that I had to fish it out of my bag and bring it closer to the steering wheel to start up the car a couple of times. Car didn't read the fob, so I wonder if the fob battery is getting low? Other times, it's been fine, so go figure. May have to ask the dealership the next time it goes in for anything.
If your fob battery is low, you will get a message on the gauge cluster.
Old 08-12-2020 | 08:46 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
If your fob battery is low, you will get a message on the gauge cluster.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'd forgotten about that - I did get a message on my Macan. No messages here - just a "no fob sensed" type message. But that shouldn't be, since I've not had that problem with the Macan when I had it or the old 991 we had.
Old 08-13-2020 | 04:31 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

90% of the time I'm in the car alone. The key goes on the passenger seat.
Old 08-19-2020 | 08:57 AM
KWP1911
Racer

Never had an issue in the Cayenne with the key in my pocket. We'll see if there's an issue when I pick up the 911 this week.
Old 08-19-2020 | 09:42 AM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Mine has keyless ignition, which I actually don't like lol. I was used to the left-hand side crank in my 996, but I guess life could be worse... The key is too bulky in my pocket for my liking, so I usually just set it in the little rubber cubby in the center dash on short trips, and I'll set it in the door console for longer trips. Never had issues with it transmitting thru clothing though.
Old 08-19-2020 | 10:19 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macanakey
The transponder signal is intentionally pretty low power and weak for the sake of battery life and security. It may be that something metallic in your purse is shielding the fob just enough to keep the car from recognizing it on occasion when the geometry is just right.
The following users liked this post:
macanakey (08-21-2020)
Old 08-19-2020 | 10:30 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
The transponder signal is intentionally pretty low power and weak for the sake of battery life and security. It may be that something metallic in your purse is shielding the fob just enough to keep the car from recognizing it on occasion when the geometry is just right.
i had this happen the other day (again) with a fresh battery in the fob. Key in pants as usual.

Is it possible the car battery itself (going on 3 years) is in need of replacement?
Old 08-19-2020 | 11:23 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

So far, I've had no issues with my 991.2 as I just keep it in my left front pocket with my wallet.

However, in the wife's X3, if the wallet is covering the key, it will state that the key fob is not present. My wallet is an RFID blocking card holder type (Ridge Wallet).
So, basically, I just need to rearrange my wallet and key fob and it's good to go.
Old 08-19-2020 | 03:39 PM
bet
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
i had this happen the other day (again) with a fresh battery in the fob. Key in pants as usual.

Is it possible the car battery itself (going on 3 years) is in need of replacement?
More than likely an issue with the battery contact in the key itself. The battery in the key can get loose and/or lose contact and cause the key not to transmit properly. Happens to one of my keys all the time. You just have to take the battery cover off and move the battery around and close it and it works. Recently I put a piece of folded up paper (not covering any contacts) to make it fit more tightly and it hasn't lost contact but it is too early to tell if it is a complete fix. I have even been driving when the car tells me there is no key in the car before.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020 | 06:23 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bet
More than likely an issue with the battery contact in the key itself. The battery in the key can get loose and/or lose contact and cause the key not to transmit properly. Happens to one of my keys all the time. You just have to take the battery cover off and move the battery around and close it and it works. Recently I put a piece of folded up paper (not covering any contacts) to make it fit more tightly and it hasn't lost contact but it is too early to tell if it is a complete fix. I have even been driving when the car tells me there is no key in the car before.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give that a try.
Old 08-21-2020 | 12:19 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Need4S
To answer your other question, the dummy key or ignition switch/blade actually comes out, and you can insert your key fob in the slot it comes out of. To do that, unlock car, put your key fob outside the car, go in and turn key switch to “on” position then off then on again. You should hear a click and get a message saying you can remove the blade.
I've been wanting to try this- I know you could replace the blade (for me I wanted a Guards Red one to match my seatbelts and SC clock), but wasn't sure if the key would still work 'traditionally' if I just removed it. But no reason why it wouldn't, derp on me!
Old 08-21-2020 | 02:27 PM
rykomatsu
Track Day

• Door pocket
  • Closing door pocket
  • On a carabiner off of a belt loop
  • Center console
All have worked without any issue thus far.

Quick Reply: HELP! Where do you put your “key”?