Sponsored by:

Looking for exhaust noise minus "pops and crackles"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020 | 03:06 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Looking for exhaust noise minus "pops and crackles"

Following a test drive of a GT3, I decided my 991.1 BASE - no sport exhaust either - could *really* use some more exhaust noise (that's the best outcome, I could have decided I needed a GT3 ;-)
Nothing childish, more "zing" when opening it up.
I researched "stock" and adding PSE but even on suncoast they mention specifically the new system adds crackles and pops... That's 100% what I do NOT want ;!
My concern in the aftermarket arena is everything I researched or even bought (I tried 2x crosspipes so far - I'm intimate with my exhaust system now, comes off in 15 min) removes the center muffler and exacerbates the "POP, crackle, Pop" that happens with the foot off the throttle... To be clear I really dislike those flatulent pops, they sound unsophisticated to me. All I want is a *louder* flavor of the current factory sound... From the forum's vast experience, what method/ brand would you steer me to with that in mind (no pops) ?

I considered Soul because of great service here and reputation but the videos do seem to show more snap-crackle-pops, again, not my thing... Opinions very welcome.
Old 07-31-2020 | 04:46 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Hey Greg,
I don't know if you are going to find much aside from stock.
Still loving the Sharkwerks sport exhaust I bought from you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Catharpin:
Greg D. (07-31-2020), S S (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020 | 05:41 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

The Snap/Pop/Crackle can't be stopped, because PORSCHE has programmed that over-run intentionally into the DME unit, because customers like it, it makes them feel like they are in a race car. I think it's a cheezy, cheap trick not befitting a legendary car maker, but if you poll most people here, they like it. Right now, with a stock exhaust, yours is muffled down and any brand of aftermarket exhaust is only going to make it more noticeable.

I have a TUBI exhaust on my car, and it would be perfect if I could get rid of that overrun noise as well, to my knowledge there is no way to un-program it from the computer. Maybe one of you software guys can figure out how to do it, I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee to be rid of it.

The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
911Monte (08-01-2020), Larson E. Rapp (02-29-2024), Noah Fect (08-01-2020)
Old 07-31-2020 | 05:53 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the answers so far, even though they are disappointing. Carharpin I’m glad you like my cross pipe and it got there smoothly. I was hoping there was a solution like back in the day, on my 993, you could send the Bischoff side mufflers to be opened up like a can of green beans and some muffling material was removed and they were welded back up. I may try something like with the center muffler which is clearly the silencer part (given that thebcross pipes take it out) if that’s actually possible, I don’t know what’s in there but I’m willing to sacrifice one as a test, I have access to a shop.

anyone know what the inside of the center muffler might be like ?

PS: Ditto on the software pops. I have a 1972 MFI 911 and it does not pop - it screams like a banshee. WTF Porsche ? Those aren’t Hondas :-)
Old 07-31-2020 | 06:11 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I have a friend who is an automotive engineer for Fiat/Chrysler and he works on exhaust systems. He tells me that modern 911 systems are extraordinarily complex due partially to the fact they don't have the length of the vehicle to run tubing as the engine is in the rear as we all know. The center muffler in particular is indeed the main silencer and he has told me removing the innards will result in an echo chamber that will most certainly cause booming and drone at highway speeds, so it may not give you want you want to gut that center pipe. The best overall result in changing tones is an engineered cat-back exhaust that retains a center muffler as well as the sides. I too, tried a center cross-over pipe, it was on my car for one day, way too loud, too much boom. The Tubi exhaust has been on my car now for 6 years, and its perfect for me.
Old 07-31-2020 | 06:13 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

There are some threads on this, to include links to vids with muffler cutaways, etc. Personally I love the SW unit, simple, drops weight and sounds great. Very little if any drone anywhere in the range and some great resonance when getting on it. It mos def frees up the engine well, was an easy install, and not crazy money. No over run funny business unless I want it in Sport. Nothing but zing in Sport+.

No affiliation just love it. Good luck!

SS
Old 07-31-2020 | 07:10 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S S
There are some threads on this, to include links to vids with muffler cutaways, etc. Personally I love the SW unit, simple, drops weight and sounds great. Very little if any drone anywhere in the range and some great resonance when getting on it. It mos def frees up the engine well, was an easy install, and not crazy money. No over run funny business unless I want it in Sport. Nothing but zing in Sport+.

No affiliation just love it. Good luck!

SS
Apologies, SW unit ??? not familiar with this...
Old 07-31-2020 | 07:12 PM
garfunkle
Banned

iPE is higher pitch like the GT3.

Remus or Tubi are excellent conservative choices that don't get enough love here.
Old 07-31-2020 | 07:24 PM
myrr
Pro

APR says they can code this out... I am considering it, minus the tune.
Old 07-31-2020 | 07:29 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Yeah, unfortunately, the Rice Krispies aren't tied to the physical exhaust setup you're running as people mentioned above. One thing I've noticed is that they are minimal if you stay in Normal (non Sport/Sport+) mode, but that's obviously not a great solution as a lot of us drive in Sport/+ normally.
Old 07-31-2020 | 07:42 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Apologies, SW unit ??? not familiar with this...
SW = Sharkwerks

ß
Old 08-01-2020 | 11:55 AM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

In Sport mode, there is still a button to turn-off the PSE.
Old 08-01-2020 | 03:22 PM
mikeearly
Pro

you might want to give Softronic a call and see if their tune without pops and bangs will override the stock program... I have a Softronic tune in my 2013 and had the option between a tune with pops and bangs or one without pops and bangs.... just don't know if it will fix what you are looking for...
By the way -- I am running a complete Soul system -- street headers and valved exhaust on a PSE cab...
Old 08-01-2020 | 05:17 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Akrapovic on my S and I think it’s perfect. Minimal to no snap crackle pop, just business
Old 08-01-2020 | 07:36 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Heh, I'm starting to think the PO on my CPO '17 coded out the snap crackle and pop; in a year plus driving (almost exclusively in SPORT) mode I've never actually heard it.

Quick Reply: Looking for exhaust noise minus "pops and crackles"