991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for exhaust noise minus "pops and crackles"

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020 | 11:03 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

PSE sounds like a farting ****. Terrible and it costs money. My 991.2 4s sans the sport exhaust sounds fine without it. Someone mentioned TUBI and it is something I wouldn’t mind trying but need to listen to it firsthand. If you don’t want juvenile sounds, don’t get PSE.
Old 08-02-2020 | 12:41 AM
97supratt
Burning Brakes

If you get a Cobb tune on your .1 the exhaust won’t pop.
Old 02-18-2024 | 09:16 PM
mattbarrett10
Track Day

I know this is really old but I just heard about FVD tuning from another rennlister and he said they un-programmed all the pops and crackling out.. I can't stand it either.. cheap trick.
Old 02-18-2024 | 09:41 PM
myrr
Pro

I had FVD try to do that and it did not sound right at all. Some pops gone for sure, but otherwise sounded … not great.
The following users liked this post:
mattbarrett10 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024 | 11:54 PM
mattbarrett10
Track Day

Originally Posted by myrr
I had FVD try to do that and it did not sound right at all. Some pops gone for sure, but otherwise sounded … not great.
dang:. That’s so sad to hear. I had just seen someone with a different experience using fvd.
Old 02-19-2024 | 11:19 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Following a test drive of a GT3, I decided my 991.1 BASE - no sport exhaust either - could *really* use some more exhaust noise (that's the best outcome, I could have decided I needed a GT3 ;-)
Nothing childish, more "zing" when opening it up.
I researched "stock" and adding PSE but even on suncoast they mention specifically the new system adds crackles and pops... That's 100% what I do NOT want ;!
My concern in the aftermarket arena is everything I researched or even bought (I tried 2x crosspipes so far - I'm intimate with my exhaust system now, comes off in 15 min) removes the center muffler and exacerbates the "POP, crackle, Pop" that happens with the foot off the throttle... To be clear I really dislike those flatulent pops, they sound unsophisticated to me. All I want is a *louder* flavor of the current factory sound... From the forum's vast experience, what method/ brand would you steer me to with that in mind (no pops) ?

I considered Soul because of great service here and reputation but the videos do seem to show more snap-crackle-pops, again, not my thing... Opinions very welcome.
That is why I drive my 991.2 GTS in Sport +. no crackles or pops or farts.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (02-29-2024)
Old 02-19-2024 | 02:53 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

I have a base 2017 without PSE and in sport I had a few pops but very subdued. I added Soul headers and the sound get slightly deeper. I installed a Softronic tune and told Scott I would like to get rid of any pops and crackles because I was thinking of adding Soul cats and that would make the subdued pops more pronounced. When I added the tune, even the slight pops I had in Sport were gone. I think I saw in a post by Scott that he couldn't remove the pops but mine went away completly so I am going to add the Sport Cats to get a little more sound without the popping
Old 02-28-2024 | 03:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Get rid of the snap, crackle and pop...

Just drive in the Sport + mode....the down side, the car will want to go to 4,000 RPM minimum with light pressure on the gas pedal before it will shift. I could swear there I no snap, crackle and pop "noise" in this mode.

I, just as many others do, enjoy the noise...I'll roll my window down just to listen to it. As you know, this snap, crackle and pop...noise results from am injection of gas when the throttle is released. The I turn down to my street on the way home, and departure too, I go to Normal mode to keep the neighbors happy. Well, most if the time I do this.
Old 02-29-2024 | 12:59 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

There have been times I thought mine went away in Sport+ completely, too. Then, a few weeks later, I'll come off the gas, and BANG BANG BANGETY BANG, right in front of a cop or something.

It's asinine.
Old 02-29-2024 | 03:21 PM
Pieters
Intermediate

Had PSE but didn’t like it that much, not bad but wasn’t that I wanted. Coming from a Lamborghini Gallardo I was spoiled from exhaust noise.

So the hunt was open and did a lot of research, a simple x-pipe is way to loud…, a must was a higher pitchey noise. Akra is for me to expensive so ended up in iPE or Kline Innovation. Both give a higher pitchey sound, iPE is far east product and Kline Innovation European.

As I live in Europe I choose Kline Innovation catback system and kept the standard headers/cats.

I am overwelmed with the exhaust very complex higher pitchey noise, also with valves closed it is very nice. No drone or other downsides.

Only for TS it does pops and cracks, but different and nicer!

Check this link:
https://youtu.be/BZ9boPZUJnY?si=CiHwqS6vbpiZcLLr

Last edited by Pieters; 02-29-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2024 | 05:04 PM
Highyo
Pro

just run open exhaust in normal. sounds great
Old 02-29-2024 | 05:08 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mattbarrett10
dang:. That’s so sad to hear. I had just seen someone with a different experience using fvd.
YES, my FVD tune had the 'pops and crackles' taken out and it still sounds fantastic.

Quick Reply: Looking for exhaust noise minus "pops and crackles"