Sponsored by:

Musings: Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 11:50 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Musings: Wheel Spacers

So I decided to order 10mm spacers for the fronts on my 2018 Carrera T (991.2). As of now, not planning to run rear spacers, but that might evolve. I read somewhere (maybe 000, @stout ?) the suspension characteristics of the car change noticeably if there’s more than a 7mm difference in offset from stock at two corners. For example, 10mm front with stock rear is a different dynamic than pure stock or even 10mm front with 3mm rear. I’m open to clarification on this.

Anyway, I ordered the Rennline 10mm wheel spacers and extended lugs from ECS Tuning in late June. The original delivery date was supposed to be early July, but after a week with no status update I found out they were backordered until early August.

ECS customer service was very helpful and switched my order to the ECS spacers, which I received last week and installed right away. Fit and finish were both good. No complaints. I did go for a short canyon drive with the spacers installed. Comments on that below.

But first, to my surprise, I also received the Rennline spacers yesterday. Somehow the orders were crossed and the original shipment made its way to me. I was going to return them since the others were already installed, but had the thought to compare the two a little more closely since I have them in hand and it’s unsprung weight.

Here are pictures and weights:

Rennline 300g

ECS 475g

I’m definitely not an expert, but a difference of 175g/6.2oz seems like a fair amount of savings on the outside of the brake caliper, unsprung. It should be enough to make a difference to the contact patch in hard cornering. Any RL’ers have thoughts on this? Am I being ridiculous?

At this point I’ll probably keep the Rennline spacers for now since I’m **** and prefer to have the lower weight option. Even if it’s not noticeable, I won’t be able to keep my mind off it.

So — any thoughts on the staggered spacing relative to stock, weight differences between spacers, or anything else?

Also, this could easily devolve into an obsession for weight reduction. It may be too late. Titanium lugs next?

Last edited by Jeahbladejeah; 07-22-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:03 AM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Initial thoughts on the 10mm spacers up front, with no rear spacers, during a brief canyon session:

- undulations in the road were more noticeable than stock
- car pulls into ruts on the road a little more
- turn in is more aggressive, which is confidence-inspiring
- rear wants to step out slightly more

All of these were noticeable but very minor differences versus stock, and I was probably being extra sensitive so take them with a grain of salt.

FYI: I’m not a good enough driver to tell if any of these differences are attributable to extra unsprung weight from the spacers and extended length lug nuts.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to compare the lighter weight Rennline spacers in an apples-to-apples environment because my DSC V3 arrived today and I’m impatient so installed it right away.

Last edited by Jeahbladejeah; 07-22-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:01 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

The weight difference would be insignificant IMO as the weight is towards the center of the hub. You will get the biggest bang the further the weight saving is out from the center (tires, wheels, etc). Titanium lugs are nice and I have them as well, but only save about 1.4 lbs for all 4 (total). For more serious weight savings look into a lightweight battery (saved about 40 lbs in my case).
The following users liked this post:
koala (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

You're right -- there's definitely more fat to trim elsewhere, including around my midsection. In this case, because the weight is unsprung, I was thinking it had a more meaningful impact to the performance and driveability of the car than the outright weight savings. I think this article was posted in one of the T threads: https://suspensionspot.com/blogs/new...nsprung-weight and it got me thinking about the suspension dynamics, contact patch, etc.

I'm probably over-thinking it,and just being sensitive about adding weight to the car. Sounds like I should focus more energy on a lightweight wheel to make a bigger impact and actually reduce the overall unsprung mass. Was hoping to wait until next year for that...

Good advice on the lightweight battery. I could probably also go on a diet.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:57 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

I have the ECS spacers and I'd choose them for the simple fact that you can screw them down onto the hub properly. Those Rennline ones are gorgeous, but I don't like the idea that they're merely being held in place by the wheel/wheel bolts.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:59 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I have the ECS spacers and I'd choose them for the simple fact that you can screw them down onto the hub properly. Those Rennline ones are gorgeous, but I don't like the idea that they're merely being held in place by the wheel/wheel bolts.
I actually much prefer not using those little brake rotor screws not holding on the spacers as I swap wheels and spacers I don't want to have to continue to brake those screws loose. Also with 5 lug nuts at 128 ft/lbs of torque sandwiching them on is more than sufficient to insure zero movement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joec500:
Klepper (07-23-2020), polobai (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 02:08 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I actually much prefer not using those little brake rotor screws not holding on the spacers as I swap wheels and spacers I don't want to have to continue to brake those screws loose. Also with 5 lug nuts at 128 ft/lbs of torque sandwiching them on is more than sufficient to insure zero movement.
Yeah, those are fair points for sure. I suppose I might curse those little screws when I replace my rear brakes later this year.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Yeah, those are fair points for sure. I suppose I might curse those little screws when I replace my rear brakes later this year.
This tool saved my life when I did mine, to insure I didn't strip that little sucker. They get seized in there pretty good especially if you drive in the rain.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...iABEgK9cPD_BwE

Old 07-23-2020, 03:27 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
This tool saved my life when I did mine, to insure I didn't strip that little sucker. They get seized in there pretty good especially if you drive in the rain.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...iABEgK9cPD_BwE
Funny, I knew exactly where that link would lead even before I clicked on it! Those tools really are a life saver!

Quick Reply: Musings: Wheel Spacers