Sponsored by:

lowering help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Sasquatch981
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I’ve driven 911s with and without PASM. Disabling PASM for the Ohlins is NOT a regret you would have at all, but I totally understand your concern. When I installed my Ohlins, I thought the car rode better than new. I know the Ohlins’ spring rates are significantly higher, but the shocks ability to handle those spring rates is what makes the ride fantastic, in my opinion. Stiffer? Yes. Definitely, but without the harshness associated with just lowering springs and better damped. In fact, my track buddy thought the car was just a tad soft at Sebring and thought I would benefit from slightly stiffer springs which can be swapped, but I still like driving the car on weekends and the Ohlins are amazing on the rode with the shock stiffnes dialed-down to the softer settings.
I have to say i can't argue with this. I also have Ohlins r/t and agree with awrryan. In stock form PASM was way to harsh imo. I forget exactly what settings I'm running from the softest (20 clicks) setting, but I'm not lower than 12 clicks and it feels dialed in. The car feels firm, but not harsh in any way. It seems the faster you hit the riugh stuff, the smoother it gets. If you get an opportunity to take a ride in a car equipped with Ohlins, you will be sold.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:05 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

I don't know guys.... The ride comfort is really subjective. I have these coilovers on my 987 and while they are perfect for what I was going for on that car; they are not for the faint of heart. They are very stiff and I would not recommend them for the average bear.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:02 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I don't know guys.... The ride comfort is really subjective. I have these coilovers on my 987 and while they are perfect for what I was going for on that car; they are not for the faint of heart. They are very stiff and I would not recommend them for the average bear.
I do not agree, necessarily, that it is subjective. In my opinion, most of those ok with lowering springs, even after some time when the harshness sets in, is because they do not realize it. Perhaps you had a different model or didn’t set the shocks to the softer settings. Also, on my car, i did not change any control arms or bushings. I do have a gt3 front sway bar, tarret rear sway ball with tarret drop links, but everything else is stock. I would never say after having Ohlins for 2 years that it is not for the faint of heart or average bear and I track the car routinely at Homestead and Sebring and dial down the shocks in between track events to drive the car during the week and on weekends when I want something more fun than my daily. And I am very in tune, so to speak, with my car and can tell when the car feels or sounds different over train tracks and the bumps along my usual routes.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:04 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasquatch981
I have to say i can't argue with this. I also have Ohlins r/t and agree with awrryan. In stock form PASM was way to harsh imo. I forget exactly what settings I'm running from the softest (20 clicks) setting, but I'm not lower than 12 clicks and it feels dialed in. The car feels firm, but not harsh in any way. It seems the faster you hit the riugh stuff, the smoother it gets. If you get an opportunity to take a ride in a car equipped with Ohlins, you will be sold.
Yes. This. Especially when set on the softer settings. Problem is that it is so difficult to explain that a car with stiffer springs could be smoother, handle better and ride without the harshness of the softer progressive lowering springs which increase in stiffness as they are loaded in, what I believe, is too much stiffness for the OEM shocks.

Quick Reply: lowering help