Sponsored by:

HVAC Blower. Again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol...I know but that was only my guess. Every time I work on something that involve moving an airbag, the instructions always say to disconnect the battery. I was fixing the horn problem on my 993, I had disconnect the bat and even after taking the airbag completely off, it says to place the airbag on the passenger seat, pointing up...😲. It was scary the first time though. Most instructions I followed were not from the service manual but I wouldn’t go against the advices 😁.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:38 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hn
Lol...I know but that was only my guess. Every time I work on something that involve moving an airbag, the instructions always say to disconnect the battery. I was fixing the horn problem on my 993, I had disconnect the bat and even after taking the airbag completely off, it says to place the airbag on the passenger seat, pointing up...😲. It was scary the first time though. Most instructions I followed were not from the service manual but I wouldn’t go against the advices 😁.
Indeed. Something that is supposed to save your life is the scariest thing to get close to.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:09 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just curious, since this is not a common problem (don’t see a lot of complaints) do you think something you did or how you operate the AC/heater have something to do with it? In my case it happened when my wife was using the car. She tends to change the temp setting drastically thinking it would respond faster. I am not blaming her but just wonder if that was a possibility. We don’t drive the car that much.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:13 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by hn
Just curious, since this is not a common problem (don’t see a lot of complaints) do you think something you did or how you operate the AC/heater have something to do with it? In my case it happened when my wife was using the car. She tends to change the temp setting drastically thinking it would respond faster. I am not blaming her but just wonder if that was a possibility. We don’t drive the car that much.
Even getting close to blaming the wife is a dangerous territory I wouldn't go there
I don't think its anyhow related. Not driving much nowadays. In January there was some debris stuck in the motor. They cleaned it up in the shop it starts working, but not for long. My guess is that there was already significant damage done do the motor/resistor because of the debris.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:18 AM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hehe, i did blamed her when she called saying the fan was blowing so loud and she couldn’t lower it.

Yeah, that’s right, you did mention about the debris on the motor.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:43 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Finally got some courage to replace the blower and resistor. Removal of cupholder was fairly simple. Thanks to hn and porsche diagrams.

I'm having a big challenge finding a side screw to remove the glovebox. Not sure when it is hidden. Removed the 3 screws on the top, 1 on the front and 2 from the bottom.
But cant find the one on the side. The glovebox is already loose from the left side. Here is the diagram:

Some photos of the progress:

Would appreciate any help in finding the screw.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:09 AM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I remember clearly there was one crew that was hard to find because it facing the opposite way and I did take a pic for future use. The attached pic must be the one but I am not 100% sure. I thought you have to remove the vent, too. Your pic shows it’s still in place.

Last edited by hn; 07-31-2020 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Remove pic
Old 07-31-2020, 04:01 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by hn
I remember clearly there was one crew that was hard to find because it facing the opposite way and I did take a pic for future use. The attached pic must be the one but I am not 100% sure. I thought you have to remove the vent, too. Your pic shows it’s still in place.
Are those two silver nuts in your picture same ones as mine on the right side? Is it hidden behind the leathered trim piece?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:09 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly I don’t remember clearly but if you look at step #5 from the instruction, you have to remove that “black trim next to the glove box” which in your case is the leather piece. I remember couldn’t open the door widely enough (parked next to a garage support post) to take the pic of the face of the screw so I had to take the pic of the rear. If you want to make sure before removing that leather trim, maybe using a mirror will let you find it. I think I did.

edit: I saw this on youtube and at 4:45 I think he shows the hidden screw that you were looking for.

Last edited by hn; 07-31-2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add info
The following users liked this post:
rubenhak (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:13 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Awesome, thanks a lot! was very helpful. Removing the airbag and replacing resistor and motor were the easiest parts. Everything works. Super happy!!

The biggest challenges for me were
1. Finding and removing the side screw.
2. While removing the side screw, i unintentionally dropped a tiny torx bit. It was close to the fuse box. Not only it would be dangerous having a loose piece of metal there, but also it would be rattling around the car. Had to strip some of the liners, but eventually fund it in a much more accessible place.
3. Removing glove box media compartment
Old 08-01-2020, 06:53 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 882 Posts

What years are having issues?
Old 08-01-2020, 03:43 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is a 14.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:15 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
What years are having issues?
Old 10-07-2020, 04:26 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Rather than start a new thread, I will add to this one.

I just had the AC blower fail to turn on for the first time in in the 16 months I have owned my 2015 GTS. As I am currently in FLA and looking at a 1900 mile drive home starting Saturday, this is a problem.

It worked fine on the cross country drive, and the two days here before parking the car at our resort until today.

I booked a service visit for tomorrow morning with Porsche of Melbourne, but while waiting, spent some quality time on The Google.

I’ll be dipped but after this simple procedure, the blower is now working again. I called PofM back, and the service advisor did say that the blower is likely on the way out, but unless it is not working when I arrive at the dealer, they won’t preemptively swap the motor.

So fingers crossed that it either dies again before 8am tomorrow morning, or not again until I get home so my local dealer can replace it.

The following 2 users liked this post by BGLeduc:
GT3FZS (10-07-2020), koala (10-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:51 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
Rather than start a new thread, I will add to this one.

I just had the AC blower fail to turn on for the first time in in the 16 months I have owned my 2015 GTS. As I am currently in FLA and looking at a 1900 mile drive home starting Saturday, this is a problem.

It worked fine on the cross country drive, and the two days here before parking the car at our resort until today.

I booked a service visit for tomorrow morning with Porsche of Melbourne, but while waiting, spent some quality time on The Google.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90HJCwxZRlk

I’ll be dipped but after this simple procedure, the blower is now working again. I called PofM back, and the service advisor did say that the blower is likely on the way out, but unless it is not working when I arrive at the dealer, they won’t preemptively swap the motor.

So fingers crossed that it either dies again before 8am tomorrow morning, or not again until I get home so my local dealer can replace it.
The fan continued to work properly last evening, and 1st thing this morning, so I cancelled the service visit. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: HVAC Blower. Again.