Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there chassis/driving experience difference in different model year of 991.1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Lot of unknowns here.... tires for example make a huge difference. The sound of a GTS with the plenum and exhaust note have a substantial placebo affect.

Very good point, and fortunately (or unfortunately) for me both cars were/are equipped with very similarly used OEM Pirelli Tires. I am with you on placebo, and am extremely **** about such details. Have tried to factor in all of that
before sharing such a (what I consider to be) strong and definitive statement. Thanks in part to cover-19, I had plenty of time to drive, evaluate and come to this conclusion.
Both were CPO and my OCD required both of them to have a Post-purchase inspection at local dealer. Neither car had/has any aftermarket parts.
On paper, other than slightly wider track of GTS +and slightly different/more pronounced sound, there should be almost no difference in drive or feel... YET, the GTS has loads more steering feel and feedback, and seems to have endless rear end stability..where the C2S used to at least begin to give rear end warnings on same exact piece of tarmac, the GTS just stays planted. I am convinced that Porsche, between the years 2012 and 2015 upgraded Steering software and made geometry changes to the GTS without advertising it. Either that or there have always been an undisclosed difference in suspension setup between C2S (with SPASM) and GTS. To be fair Porsche has always advertised C2S cars with S-PASM as having the same hardware, the exact same PASM suspension can easily be "set up" differently without having to disclose changes. All I know is that the difference is beyond noticeable and impossible to ignore.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:10 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Very good point, and fortunately (or unfortunately) for me both cars were/are equipped with very similarly used OEM Pirelli Tires. I am with you on placebo, and am extremely **** about such details. Have tried to factor in all of that
before sharing such a (what I consider to be) strong and definitive statement. Thanks in part to cover-19, I had plenty of time to drive, evaluate and come to this conclusion.
Both were CPO and my OCD required both of them to have a Post-purchase inspection at local dealer. Neither car had/has any aftermarket parts.
On paper, other than slightly wider track of GTS +and slightly different/more pronounced sound, there should be almost no difference in drive or feel... YET, the GTS has loads more steering feel and feedback, and seems to have endless rear end stability..where the C2S used to at least begin to give rear end warnings on same exact piece of tarmac, the GTS just stays planted. I am convinced that Porsche, between the years 2012 and 2015 upgraded Steering software and made geometry changes to the GTS without advertising it. Either that or there have always been an undisclosed difference in suspension setup between C2S (with SPASM) and GTS. To be fair Porsche has always advertised C2S cars with S-PASM as having the same hardware, the exact same PASM suspension can easily be "set up" differently without having to disclose changes. All I know is that the difference is beyond noticeable and impossible to ignore.
Did one have whatever that lighter steering option is called? That could be it or even the age of the Pirelli's which are AWFUL.

I'm not trying to challenge what you felt at all. It's always good to hear experiences!
Old 07-08-2020, 12:46 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Did one have whatever that lighter steering option is called? That could be it or even the age of the Pirelli's which are AWFUL.

I'm not trying to challenge what you felt at all. It's always good to hear experiences!
one did have power steering Plus.. but that only affects the way steering reacts at very low speeds.. I am talking about steering feel/feedback at 25-55 mph.. at highway speeds and straight line both steerings feel the same

tires were about same..
I wish i could quantify and explain the difference in driving experience.. i just cant.. on paper there should be no noticeable difference..
Old 07-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
The 12 and 13 dont have rev match (which I prefer). There were cov failures on some cars but these are just cheap plastic valves. The early cars have not surfaced any inherent specific flaws. They all have a design flaw on the door panels but a dude in florida named pedro can fix them permanently for reasonable. 3.8 is the one to have.
I have a 2013 with rev match...
Old 07-10-2020, 02:25 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Could be linked to Sport Chrono?
Old 07-10-2020, 04:14 PM
ChrisW991.1S
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Same here. Rev match on my 13 S with sport chrono. I heard it was a mid 2013 addition but could be wrong...

Quick Reply: Are there chassis/driving experience difference in different model year of 991.1?