Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR / VVT Readiness Monitors on 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020 | 05:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Default EGR / VVT Readiness Monitors on 991.1

There are a few threads on this but heres a little new info i didn’t see.

car is totally stock 2013 911 S PDK w/ X51

got this car, no cel but the egr/vvt not setting. My cheapy code reader says or calls it egr. Durametric will not read readiness on 991. Called my shop and they have seen before.

go in and hook up the piwis. All monitors set except vvt/camshaft. These cars don’t have an egr but use the variable valve timing to perform a similar type effect, supposedly.

so they run a full scan of the car. No errors. Except a rear tweeter circuit open. Oh i guess it is, not working! Will have to replace that at some point but i didn’t even notice lol

then they run a short test the 4 or 5 camshaft tests. Takes about 10 minutes. After that the vvt sets and smog readiness is set.

also had them perform a pdk relearn which took about 20 minutes. Car is noticeable smoother on downshifts in sport modes.

took them about 45 minutes to do all of this.

anyway, seems there is a quirk here with this monitor. Smog check passed so will deal with it again in 2 years.
Old 09-16-2020 | 07:31 PM
50th 911
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Spyerx

got this car, no cel but the egr/vvt not setting. My cheapy code reader says or calls it egr. Durametric will not read readiness on 991. Called my shop and they have seen before.

go in and hook up the piwis. All monitors set except vvt/camshaft. These cars don’t have an egr but use the variable valve timing to perform a similar type effect, supposedly.

so they run a full scan of the car. No errors. Except a rear tweeter circuit open. Oh i guess it is, not working! Will have to replace that at some point but i didn’t even notice lol

then they run a short test the 4 or 5 camshaft tests. Takes about 10 minutes. After that the vvt sets and smog readiness is set.

also had them perform a pdk relearn which took about 20 minutes. Car is noticeable smoother on downshifts in sport modes.

anyway, seems there is a quirk here with this monitor. Smog check passed so will deal with it again in 2 years.

I see you're from So Cal. What shop did you take it to? I'm having a similar issue with the EGR/VVT not being ready and cannot pass smog in CA. I've attempted the "drive cycle" information on the net a few times and cannot get it to reset.
Old 09-20-2020 | 01:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

BBI Autosport. Ask for Charles, the tech who did the work was Bobby, he knows the issue.

Old 09-20-2020 | 03:05 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

I messed around with this issue on my 997.2 for about a year. I finally found a solution recommended on a different forum buried somewhere.

However the solution: Do BOTH the Porsche and BMW drive reset.

Particularly what did it was after driving 55 mph under 3k RPMS for several minutes, then take foot off the gas, leaving in gear, and not touch anything - letting it go from 55 to 20 in gear and not touching the clutch or brake.

This direction is not in any of Porsche’s instructions to set readiness codes but is in BMW’s. I adamantly believe this caused all of my readiness codes to reset. And it never would have just doing what Porsche recommends. Again, I drove and tried to reset numerous times.

After a year - the first time I did the deceleration in gear - they set.

Pro Tip: if your battery has ever died or is even remotely close to needing replaced or old - replace it.

Second Pro Tip: Buy a scanner that tells you when the codes are set or not. They have one on amazon with little red and green lights right on the front. This is critical in saving trips to the SMOG shop just to learn the car isn’t ready.

Last edited by jimwood; 09-20-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2021 | 04:26 PM
na4life
Instructor

Ran into this exact issue on my 2015 991.1 GTS PDK. I drove the thing like 3k miles including hundreds of miles in non sport mode and under 3k rpms, etc. Tried all of the suggestions in this thread and others. Nothing. The EGR monitor wouldn’t become ready.

Apparently Porsche has a very specific drive cycle that they refuse to publish because within 30 minutes the dealership (near Portland) was able to set them.

Don’t be like me and waste your time with this... just take it to the dealer and they’ll take care of it quickly and for like $150 or so.

Also if the dealer claims it’s because of your aftermarket exhaust (NOT headers/cats... those can actually cause issues) go somewhere else. I have an akrapovic slip on and had no issues at my dealer.
Old 03-29-2021 | 04:51 PM
yoda888
Racer

In the 30-mins did they add miles to your car? I suspect they're able to use the PIWIS or something to force the car into a ready state.

Originally Posted by na4life
Ran into this exact issue on my 2015 991.1 GTS PDK. I drove the thing like 3k miles including hundreds of miles in non sport mode and under 3k rpms, etc. Tried all of the suggestions in this thread and others. Nothing. The EGR monitor wouldn’t become ready.

Apparently Porsche has a very specific drive cycle that they refuse to publish because within 30 minutes the dealership (near Portland) was able to set them.

Don’t be like me and waste your time with this... just take it to the dealer and they’ll take care of it quickly and for like $150 or so.

Also if the dealer claims it’s because of your aftermarket exhaust (NOT headers/cats... those can actually cause issues) go somewhere else. I have an akrapovic slip on and had no issues at my dealer.
Old 03-29-2021 | 06:21 PM
na4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by yoda888
In the 30-mins did they add miles to your car? I suspect they're able to use the PIWIS or something to force the car into a ready state.
3 miles. They were very wary of providing details but I’m almost positive that they are forcing it electronically or have a very specific drive cycle that’s short. Because I seriously tried every single one of the suggested drive cycles. Even from a cold start and couldn’t get it to set.
Old 04-16-2021 | 10:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

They run a short test using their piwis computer. My shop did same. Took all of 10 mins.
Old 05-28-2021 | 09:20 PM
ertwert
8th Gear

Are you saying the shop ran the same camshaft test 4 or 5 times?
I'm having what seems to be exactly the same issue on a 2014 Panamera. The shop I've been to recently tried to force the adjustment via Piwis, it went through without any errors, however the end result was still Not Ready.
Wondering if they need to try to run it again a few times, or if I need to dig in a different direction.
I appreciate your reply in advance!
Old 05-30-2021 | 08:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

No. There are a few different quick tests on the cams. Just run them all.
Pantone who knows piwis will know how to run the emissions quick tests.
zero idea if panamera is anything like 911. Totally different platforms and engines.
Old 10-12-2022 | 05:04 PM
p010sp0rt8
Intermediate

Quick heads up having just been through this in CA on my 50th (essentially a 991.1s with X51)
I spent multiple weekends doing every drive test to try and get the readiness set without luck.
the OBDII reader didn't mention any faults so i just gave up and sent it into Porsche to have them set it.

Turns out during their diagnosis an O2 sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. This wasn't throwing any codes and they had to spend a day or so hunting the issue down as they couldn't get it to set easily as well.

hindsight is 20/20 but if i had just brought it to the dealer to begin with i would've saved myself many many hours and about 500+ miles of driving lol.

Old 10-13-2022 | 02:08 PM
IWOA911
Instructor

@Spyerx I believe I may have inherited your VVT problem? Your car didn’t happen to be Platinum Silver with an Expresso interior with a bad drivers side tweeter did it? If so, the problem is alive and well. I drove the bajeezus out of it and even consulted a witch doctor and finally took it to the dealer and they forced everything with their Beavis machine and all is good. Only cost me $260 and it was worth every penny!! I love the car and would like to hear if you had any other issues I should be aware of. Thanks
Old 10-13-2022 | 02:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IWOA911
@Spyerx I believe I may have inherited your VVT problem? Your car didn’t happen to be Platinum Silver with an Expresso interior with a bad drivers side tweeter did it? If so, the problem is alive and well. I drove the bajeezus out of it and even consulted a witch doctor and finally took it to the dealer and they forced everything with their Beavis machine and all is good. Only cost me $260 and it was worth every penny!! I love the car and would like to hear if you had any other issues I should be aware of. Thanks
Are you the guy I sold it to I think it was end of 2020? Yes, platinum with espresso. High spec car. But, I fixed the passenger rear tweeter so all the speakers were working when I sold it :-) Hopefully you got all the maintenance records with it, I did did a major / plugs /coils / everything back in mid 2020. Including new tires and alignment around 25k miles.

For some reason when I first got the car and went to smog it the EGR/VVT wasn't set. I read online about this issue that it seems others have and thats where I had the shop run the short tests on that module to set them. They stayed set the entire time I had the car as I had to provide a smog check when I sold it, so there was no fault. My guess is the battery had gone flat at some point.

I didn't have any other issues. Just didn't have room and ended up with a Taycan for my daily after I sold my cayenne. All my 911s are pretty aggressive hot rods so I kinda wish I had it back :-)

Enjoy it, that car ripped.
Old 10-13-2022 | 03:11 PM
IWOA911
Instructor

Are you the guy I sold it to I think it was end of 2020? Yes, platinum with espresso. High spec car. But, I fixed the passenger rear tweeter so all the speakers were working when I sold it :-) Hopefully you got all the maintenance records with it, I did did a major / plugs /coils / everything back in mid 2020. Including new tires and alignment around 25k miles.

For some reason when I first got the car and went to smog it the EGR/VVT wasn't set. I read online about this issue that it seems others have and thats where I had the shop run the short tests on that module to set them. They stayed set the entire time I had the car as I had to provide a smog check when I sold it, so there was no fault. My guess is the battery had gone flat at some point.

I didn't have any other issues. Just didn't have room and ended up with a Taycan for my daily after I sold my cayenne. All my 911s are pretty aggressive hot rods so I kinda wish I had it back :-)

Enjoy it, that car ripped.
I’m not the guy who bought it from you, I bought it in PA. Definitely a high spec car and yes it rips!! I did get all the maintenance records and saw something about a speaker but I believe it was a passenger door speaker? No worries of course but now it’s a tweeter on the D side. I bought a new one just haven’t put it in yet. Was the passenger lighted door sill plate out during your tenure?

Old 10-13-2022 | 03:41 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

For resetting a 991 drive cycle to reset the EGR flag.

You will need to drive on a freeway for 10 min, exit on the longest off ramp you can fine and let car coast ( no braking ) to a full stop. You will need to do it multiple times normally 2-3 times to reset the EGR flag.Your AC needs to be in the on position during this process. You can have your code reader plug into the car to view the EGR flag being reset.

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 10-13-2022 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: EGR / VVT Readiness Monitors on 991.1