Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR / VVT Readiness Monitors on 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023 | 01:54 AM
Changster
Track Day

Originally Posted by IWOA911
I used Livermore Porsche to reset my car. I think I paid $265?
Thanks I will give them a call.
Old 07-05-2023 | 12:28 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Default PIWIS to set vvt/egr monitor

Thanks to forum member PV997, who suggests me to do short test in PIWIS, I was able to reset the vvt/egr with PIWIS. I am original owner of 2016 gts and maintain car myself so I bought PIWIS clone. If you have access to PIWIS just do some short tests in DME > Maintenance and repairs > Short tests. I did 3 specific tests to set vvt monitor. Intake camshaft, valve lift by each bank and valve lift overall system. Each tests took less than a minute. So total less than 5 minutes later I was able to set vvt monitor. During the test car should be in operating temperature with no fault codes. And you have to press and hold both brake and gas pedal. Forget about drive cycle. Every other monitor sets less than 100 miles of driving but vvt/egr will never set so don't waste your time. I think 9A1 X51's hotter intake cam and 1mm extra valve lift make things bit complicated.

Last edited by ddolbi; 07-05-2023 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (04-19-2024)
Old 07-14-2023 | 09:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

^^^ Yep, this is what I posted like 2 years ago now. Don’t bother with the drive cycles on these engines.
Old 07-31-2023 | 05:23 PM
twilling
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mrcrtmn
Performance Independent
6035 Fairmount Ave, San Diego, CA 92120
(619) 563-5927
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qBSFCu1Hm4dWVCbw8
+1 for Performance Independent. Went there after reading this post to get my new-to-me 991.1 GTS ready for smog today after the previous owner replaced the battery a couple of months ago. After a few minutes with PIWIS I was good to go
Old 01-18-2024 | 07:29 PM
gcX
Rennlist Member

Bumping this to say thanks, Rennlist saves me once again.

Had the same issue on my 981. If anyone is curious, the higher end Autel scanners can perform the same VarioCam tests that PIWIS does and set the EGR/VVT monitor.
Old 01-19-2024 | 06:39 PM
imagerep
Intermediate

Three yrs ago I bought a 2016 GTS from out of state into CA, so had to get it smogged. The battery was near dead as it came off the truck so all readiness codes reset. I spent over 500 miles doing all these stupid drive tests and after all that time, gas and extra needless miles, the EGR remained uncleared. I then took it to my dealer (charged me $200) that had it 10 min, did NOT drive it, but did something that cleared the code and I was able to get it smogged. It's really BS. However I realized I should had just taken it to the dealer in the first place.

This story does not end here.

Early last week I installed a new battery as the factory one, over 8 yrs old, was not getting a full charge. Being that my low-end (Deltran) battery tender was unable to maintain 12V with the cables disconnected, all the monitors reset (I have since replaced the Deltran tender with a pro-quality product). All the readiness resets would be no big deal, but literally 3 days later I get a letter from the DMV that my car needs to smogged for my new annual registration. I actually had to laugh at the timing. The past week all codes have now cleared except EGR. I plan to go back to the dealer this week to get it cleared. Pisses me off with the timing.

I know I'll get the question, so here's the answer.... the new tender is a NOCO Genius10. Had I had this tender, I would not had lost the readiness codes with the cables off the battery.
Old 01-19-2024 | 06:55 PM
gcX
Rennlist Member

Maybe consider taking that $200 the dealer would charge you, and put it towards an Autel MX808S. It is a hell of a tool, and can run the same tests that will set your EGR/VVT readiness.

Originally Posted by imagerep
Three yrs ago I bought a 2016 GTS from out of state into CA, so had to get it smogged. The battery was near dead as it came off the truck so all readiness codes reset. I spent over 500 miles doing all these stupid drive tests and after all that time, gas and extra needless miles, the EGR remained uncleared. I then took it to my dealer (charged me $200) that had it 10 min, did NOT drive it, but did something that cleared the code and I was able to get it smogged. It's really BS. However I realized I should had just taken it to the dealer in the first place.

This story does not end here.

Early last week I installed a new battery as the factory one, over 8 yrs old, was not getting a full charge. Being that my low-end (Deltran) battery tender was unable to maintain 12V with the cables disconnected, all the monitors reset (I have since replaced the Deltran tender with a pro-quality product). All the readiness resets would be no big deal, but literally 3 days later I get a letter from the DMV that my car needs to smogged for my new annual registration. I actually had to laugh at the timing. The past week all codes have now cleared except EGR. I plan to go back to the dealer this week to get it cleared. Pisses me off with the timing.

I know I'll get the question, so here's the answer.... the new tender is a NOCO Genius10. Had I had this tender, I would not had lost the readiness codes with the cables off the battery.
Old 01-19-2024 | 08:27 PM
imagerep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gcX
Maybe consider taking that $200 the dealer would charge you, and put it towards an Autel MX808S. It is a hell of a tool, and can run the same tests that will set your EGR/VVT readiness.
If this Autel MX808S indeed clears the readiness codes, I would buy it. The Autel AL329 I own just reads the system. So you are 100% sure I can clear a EGR with this device?
Old 01-19-2024 | 10:30 PM
gcX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by imagerep
If this Autel MX808S indeed clears the readiness codes, I would buy it. The Autel AL329 I own just reads the system. So you are 100% sure I can clear a EGR with this device?
I am 100% sure it will set EGR/VVT readiness as I failed smog yesterday, found this thread, referenced the post above regarding short tests in PIWIS. Located the same tests with my Autel MX808S, performed said tests, verified the monitor was set, and proceeded to return to the smog shop to pass with flying colors.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcX:
imagerep (04-18-2024), SoCalDan (01-22-2024)
Old 04-18-2024 | 08:25 PM
Em16gts
3rd Gear

Mrcrtmn,
I have the exact same car, same year and same EGR monitor problem. Tried 5 Different drive cycles including Bmw. Hohen Porsche in Carlsbad says they can't help me at all with PIWIS and will charge me to drive the car through the cycles. Who is the dealer in San Diego that you went to? I'm pulling my hair out. Thanks, Eric
Old 04-18-2024 | 08:26 PM
Em16gts
3rd Gear

Sorry, saw your later response
The following users liked this post:
Mrcrtmn (04-18-2024)
Old 05-12-2024 | 04:30 PM
gtc916
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gcX
I am 100% sure it will set EGR/VVT readiness as I failed smog yesterday, found this thread, referenced the post above regarding short tests in PIWIS. Located the same tests with my Autel MX808S, performed said tests, verified the monitor was set, and proceeded to return to the smog shop to pass with flying colors.
Can you tell me where the test is located on the Autel MX808S?
Old 05-12-2024 | 07:52 PM
gcX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtc916
Can you tell me where the test is located on the Autel MX808S?
I can't recall, and unfortunately I'm not near my scanner to double check for you. I referenced the PIWIS photos posted in the thread to find it however when I had to do mine. You have to dig a little deep to find the VVT short tests.
Old 05-13-2024 | 02:06 AM
gtc916
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gcX
I can't recall, and unfortunately I'm not near my scanner to double check for you. I referenced the PIWIS photos posted in the thread to find it however when I had to do mine. You have to dig a little deep to find the VVT short tests.
Thanks, I think I found it deep in the menus. Diagnostics -> enter VIN or autodetect -> Control unit -> DME -> Active test -> Manipulation -> valve lift cam bank 1, valve lift cam bank 2, camshaft
Old 05-14-2024 | 03:28 AM
gtc916
3rd Gear

Correction on the location of the tests. Diagnostics -> enter VIN or autodetect -> Control unit -> DME -> Special Function -> Short Test -> intake camshaft/vallve lift by bank/valve lift overall system

Quick Reply: EGR / VVT Readiness Monitors on 991.1