They don't build them like they used to !!! Mirror fell off ;-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Default They don't build them like they used to !!! Mirror fell off ;-(

I suppose I should be grateful.. It didn't disappear on the road, it fell off all by itself, in my garage, did not even hit the ground (not broken).. I have not touched the car in 2 weeks (Covid/other cars in the way)... The other surface still in the mirror housing is a plastic like film, seems to be flaking off a little bit on the edges but that should not matter... What do you recommend for glueing this back on ? Double sided tape ? Epoxy / Special glue ? I see mirror glue for homes...might give that a shot..

Old 06-25-2020, 04:54 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,197 Likes on 720 Posts

That is surely disconcerting to see. Another "wear" item that goes bad in a mere few years, like the engine lid struts? You are lucky that it did not fall to the ground and break. I guess epoxy would work fine.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Greg, is the car original to you? Could that mirror possibly be an add-on mirror to reduce blind-spots, and now coming off??
Old 06-25-2020, 08:32 AM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Greg, is the car original to you? Could that mirror possibly be an add-on mirror to reduce blind-spots, and now coming off??
I agree with LexVan, the mirrors looks double . Must have been added on over the oem mirror for blind spots.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:50 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

I would use the mirror glue you mentioned.
Jason
Old 06-25-2020, 10:14 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

glue
Old 06-25-2020, 10:24 AM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

Is there another mirror underneath? My original mirror stopped functioning (to darken). I have a replacement attached to it. Believe it used double side tape though.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:50 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

i thought i should chime in because my taillight fell off the other day after a short drive. Was fine in the garage, when i got to the parking lot, it's just dangling. Thankfully no paint damage buffed right off. If you look at it closely it's just bad design. Not covered under CPO warranty and i was surprised to find out

Old 06-25-2020, 04:37 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by no401k
i thought i should chime in because my taillight fell off the other day after a short drive. Was fine in the garage, when i got to the parking lot, it's just dangling. Thankfully no paint damage buffed right off. If you look at it closely it's just bad design. Not covered under CPO warranty and i was surprised to find out

whoever removed the bumper and tail lights last to service, more than likely over tightened it and weakened/cracked the plastic tab.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:01 PM
no401k
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeL31
whoever removed the bumper and tail lights last to service, more than likely over tightened it and weakened/cracked the plastic tab.
That's my initial thought, but if you would look at the design very carefully, how tight the screws or not have absolutely no connection to the tailight. The tailight is attached by a single screw spread over a 1/2" of meat, which then attached to a plastic black bracket. This black bracket is the one that receives 2 screws. However tight or loose you screw into this black backet, it is still afterall laterally attached to the tailight by the 1/2" of red plastic which holds the taillight together by a screw. That screw never needs to be removed during the assembly or disassembly of the taillight. From the picture, you see the 2 screws still attached to the taillight, and the red broken plastic piece that is attached to the tailight by a separate screw
Old 06-25-2020, 05:31 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by no401k
That's my initial thought, but if you would look at the design very carefully, how tight the screws or not have absolutely no connection to the tailight. The tailight is attached by a single screw spread over a 1/2" of meat, which then attached to a plastic black bracket. This black bracket is the one that receives 2 screws. However tight or loose you screw into this black backet, it is still afterall laterally attached to the tailight by the 1/2" of red plastic which holds the taillight together by a screw. That screw never needs to be removed during the assembly or disassembly of the taillight. From the picture, you see the 2 screws still attached to the taillight, and the red broken plastic piece that is attached to the tailight by a separate screw
ive taken them out before, but didnt really pay that close of attention to how theyre held in place maybe a car washer/detailer/someone leaned on the tail light and broke it. very common problem on ferrari f430's, the tail lights always break from someone accidentally putting too much force on it.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

No it is not a replacement, it is identical to the other side down to the engraving - not wide angle or anything - and the backing is a very shiny plastic like film giving you maybe the impression that was another mirror behind... I went and bought 3 kinds of glue, glass, regular silicone adhesive, epoxy, will start with one and see... Good cars break down in your garage I guess ;-)
Old 06-25-2020, 06:15 PM
no401k
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeL31
ive taken them out before, but didnt really pay that close of attention to how theyre held in place maybe a car washer/detailer/someone leaned on the tail light and broke it. very common problem on ferrari f430's, the tail lights always break from someone accidentally putting too much force on it.
hahaaa...i wouldnt be surprised with ferraris, that's their thing, they always have something that tends to break (taillights and mirrors). I had a f430 spider and now a scud, the tailights are always guaranteed to break because of the heat and vibration. I just recently reinforced my scud taillights with epoxy. It's simply 3 plastic studs bolted to the metal frame, carrying both the vertical and lateral forces, among the engine heat and lots of vibration from the aggressive f1 shifting. I didnt expect this from porsche tho, apparently many had the same problem although just as many number of pple are in shock to see this. In the porsche's case, the bumper itself has a bracket that's carrying the vertical weight of the tailights (so it's not designed as bad as the ferraris). The 1 screw and red plastic is resisting the entire (what feels like 7-10 lb) lateral forces of the tailight with the car in motion, and sits right above the hot side mufflers....I am sure someone can always break the taillights during disassembly, but looking at this carefully it doesnt appear to be well designed at all. Certainly if they make that black bracket part of the taillight assembly would resolve this indefinitely. I dont feel like spending money replacing a fully functional taillight with bad design, I just epoxyed that red plastic and ducttape the bracket to the tailight and call it a day lol.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

The mirrors should have clips attached and these clips snaps onto the motor. To OP, does not look like your mirror have the clips attached.
so is it aftermarket as other stated. See this video and go to 2 minutes for OEM removal

Old 06-25-2020, 08:23 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I think your mirror separated from it's backing plate,

as seen in the video. It is black plastic and would have a smooth side facing the mirror. The side facing toward the front of the car has black plastic teeth and a wiring harness attached.

All you need to do is epoxy the mirror to the backing plate. It might be easier to do this if you first pull the backing plate off so you can do your glue work away from the car with the mirror laying flat in its face. Otherwise, you may glue the mirror on to the backing plate crooked.

Quick Reply: They don't build them like they used to !!! Mirror fell off ;-(