Zimmerman/ Sebro / Brembo vs. Oem rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 06:58 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Zimmerman/ Sebro / Brembo vs. Oem rotors and pads

Hi,

I am looking ahead and wanting to stock up on a set of rear and front brakes (pads and rotors) for when I need to replace.

I like the performance of the oem Porsche stuff and would like equal or better for street use, back country roads and the occasional track day or 2.

How does the aftermarket stuff compare to the oem stuff ?

Has anyone been running Zimmerman or Sebro rotors ?

Twr pads ?

I know and like how the Porsche oem pads perform overall, the dealer just wants too much for a full replacement here in Canada.

Dealer price for rears: $1400
Dealer price for front: $2200
Prices are for Pads, rotors, bolts, sensors, springs and paste.

My fear is buying the 3rd party stuff and being disappointed with the performance and having to buy oem in the end.

On the other hand I heard from a parts guy that there is no "low end market" for Porsche 911 stuff and so usually anything you buy is as good or better than oem. Can anyone validate this ?

Last edited by Rapter; 06-22-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 425 Posts

When I owned 928"s the Porsche rotors were made by Zimmerman, just didn't come in the Porsche box. Of course I don't know if that is still the case, but I agree with your parts guy. Zimmerman makes quality parts.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:18 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm going to be in the same boat as you here in a few months. My rear pads are almost done so I'll be looking for some replacements.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with Zimmerman for the rotors.

You might need to ask to confirm but I think Zimmerman rotors come fully coated to prevent rust compared to the Sebro brand.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

There is no real difference between them, I would however recommend a blank or slotted rotor and that they be coated/painted.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:16 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,471 Posts

Sebro slotted rotors, Textar OEM pads, fcpeuro.com
The following 3 users liked this post by pfbz:
dsddcd (06-23-2020), FCP Euro (10-13-2020), gregoun (10-09-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:24 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,962 Likes on 937 Posts

for the kind of money dealer is charging, I would spend just a couple hundred more and Get Girodiscs.. They are lighter, 2 piece design and allow you to use GT3 brake pads..
Old 06-23-2020, 09:47 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 681 Posts

So get two piece rotors and Ferodo DS2500 or Endless MX72 pads. Now you increased performance and saved money.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 06-23-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default pads

who makes two piece rotors ? Does this option squeak. I am definitely not buying Porsche but .like slotted vs the OEM drilled.

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
So get two piece rotors and Ferodo DS2500 or Endless ME20 pads. Now you increased performance and saved money.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:24 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,962 Likes on 937 Posts

https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fr...TS_p_6862.html

here is one
Old 06-23-2020, 11:33 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
who makes two piece rotors ? Does this option squeak. I am definitely not buying Porsche but .like slotted vs the OEM drilled.
Girodisc and Racing Brake have kits that will bring you up to GT3 sized rotors. I also think the AP two piece increase the size, and maybe the Brembo. The two piece will be lighter, look better and won't increase squeaking. I would try some larger Girodisc vendors to see if they have some room in the pricing. Years ago, my old company was decent volume vendor with Girdodisc, and we were able to discount the rotors pretty heavily.

I think you can even request different color anodized hats on the Girodisc. Red would look pretty killer again the red calipers.

The Ferodo and Endless pads should brake better than OEM pads on the street, and definitely on the track and spirited driving. Noise should remain same as the OEM.

The Ferodo seem to be same price everywhere, but if you get from FCP they will have lifetime replacement. I have found the Endless pads to be much cheaper if you buy from them a Japanese vendor vs someone state side.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 06-23-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:16 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
for the kind of money dealer is charging, I would spend just a couple hundred more and Get Girodiscs.. They are lighter, 2 piece design and allow you to use GT3 brake pads..
For a street car there would never be any reason to put (2) piece rotors on. In fact have run a cost benefit analysis and there is no point that the Girodisc ever payback over regular rotors. So the only real benefit would be seen if a person was a competition drivers on slicks or sticky tires on a VERY fast track.

If one were to purchase (2) piece rotors for looks, then the Girodisc would be great. For competition they are not recommended other manufactures offer superior rotors and/or calipers that withstand the rigors of track abuse much better.

So get two piece rotors and Ferodo DS2500 or Endless ME20 pads. Now you increased performance and saved money.
If he does not want squeak this would be the wrong set both bridge the Street Track with much more emphasis to the track which mean that they will wipe the pad material from the rotor more quickly and start to squeak.

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
The rotor will not cause any squeak, that is all in the pad compound and installation. You will probably want to stay with the OEM compound and make sure that you properly bed the pads and rotors, this is VERY important and should not be skipped.

https://www.wagnerbrake.com/technica.../break-in.html

Old 06-23-2020, 12:21 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Girodisc and Racing Brake have kits that will bring you up to GT3 sized rotors. I also think the AP two piece increase the size, and maybe the Brembo. The two piece will be lighter, look better and won't increase squeaking. I would try some larger Girodisc vendors to see if they have some room in the pricing. Years ago, my old company was decent volume vendor with Girdodisc, and we were able to discount the rotors pretty heavily.

The Ferodo and Endless pads should brake better than OEM pads on the street, and definitely on the track and spirited driving. Noise should remain same as the OEM.

The Ferodo seem to be same price everywhere, but if you get from FCP they will have lifetime replacement. I have found the Endless pads to be much cheaper if you buy from them a Japanese vendor vs someone state side.
The Girodiscs option is listed as $1200.00 for a pair.

These are more expensive than the oem parts...

I am looking, like others, for the same performance and slightly lesser price replacement option for this consumable.

It looks like, Zimmerman May be in my experimental future over the oem.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:29 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rapter
The Girodiscs option is listed as $1200.00 for a pair.

These are more expensive than the oem parts...

I am looking, like others, for the same performance and slightly lesser price replacement option for this consumable.

It looks like, Zimmerman May be in my experimental future over the oem.
If you don't want to upgrade to larger, lighter, two piece, than use whatever, Zimmerman or Sebro are fine.

I would still upgrade the pads if you are doing those track days you mentioned.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:34 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsddcd
For a street car there would never be any reason to put (2) piece rotors on. In fact have run a cost benefit analysis and there is no point that the Girodisc ever payback over regular rotors. So the only real benefit would be seen if a person was a competition drivers on slicks or sticky tires on a VERY fast track.
There is a no good justification to have a 911, GT3, PCCB's etc etc either for the street, but here we are...
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamSanta85:
873/1960 (04-13-2021), desmotesta (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:37 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsddcd
If he does not want squeak this would be the wrong set both bridge the Street Track with much more emphasis to the track which mean that they will wipe the pad material from the rotor more quickly and start to squeak.
DS2500 and MX72 are both fine street pads and an upgrade over stock. OP said he does some track days with the car. If he doesn't want an upgrade, and cares more about noise and dust than performance, get OE style whatever I guess.

Quick Reply: Zimmerman/ Sebro / Brembo vs. Oem rotors and pads