Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 991.2 and cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 03:01 PM
orangeblood18
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
No kidding? I must be missing something...did you say it was a 2017 model year? Was factory warranty period for 2017 not 4 year/50K? I could be misinformed. Either way, good luck with the purchase.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:06 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblood18
It was a personal lease car. Young lady working in finance. A one owner on the carfax.
I recommend you not buy any 911 unless you first obtain and study all of the car’s service records. If you were buying from a dealer, you’d ask for those and you’d get them in 5 minutes. In this case, probably not so simple. But if you find out where the car was bought, I’d go to that dealer with the VIN and ask politely. You may have to slip some money to a service manager, but it’s in their interest to accommodate you because they’ll want to see you for service. They may balk at not revealing the previous owner’s name. My dealer scrubbed that Info from the records I was given, so that’s not really an excuse. Especially if you offer them some $$.

Note - other than title and ownership info, I wouldn’t trust a carfax. I know of plenty of situations where a car had thousands of dollars of body work done and it never showed up on the carfax.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:11 PM
orangeblood18
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSR
I recommend you not buy any 911 unless you first obtain and study all of the car’s service records. If you were buying from a dealer, you’d ask for those and you’d get them in 5 minutes. In this case, probably not so simple. But if you find out where the car was bought, I’d go to that dealer with the VIN and ask politely. You may have to slip some money to a service manager, but it’s in their interest to accommodate you because they’ll want to see you for service. They may balk at not revealing the previous owner’s name. My dealer scrubbed that Info from the records I was given, so that’s not really an excuse. Especially if you offer them some $$.

Note - other than title and ownership info, I wouldn’t trust a carfax. I know of plenty of situations where a car had thousands of dollars of body work done and it never showed up on the carfax.
This was a lease and it has 10kmiles.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Cool!

Good luck with it; it's a very nicely specced car.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:54 PM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

How many miles do you plan to drive per year? Only asking to figure out when you’ll likely be out of warranty. Since CPO isn’t an option, use that as a negotiating point to see if they’ll come down since that is something near and dear to us used Porsche buyers. However, if you do plan to rack up the miles, the CPO, which adds around $3k to the price, adds 2 years and unlimited miles - that’s real value that I would want. But again, pull the trigger if it’s the one. Good look’n car.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:03 PM
orangeblood18
Instructor

Originally Posted by blraider97
How many miles do you plan to drive per year? Only asking to figure out when you’ll likely be out of warranty. Since CPO isn’t an option, use that as a negotiating point to see if they’ll come down since that is something near and dear to us used Porsche buyers. However, if you do plan to rack up the miles, the CPO, which adds around $3k to the price, adds 2 years and unlimited miles - that’s real value that I would want. But again, pull the trigger if it’s the one. Good look’n car.
it will be used as a daily driver but I only go to work and back which is 50 miles round trip each week day. Per my calculations minus the weekends that is around 13,500 per year.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:15 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 204 Posts

This was a lease and it has 10kmiles.
And your point is? It’s irrelevant that it was a lease and the car has 10k miles. Was the lease from a Porsche dealer, or a third-party lease?

Do whatever you want, obviously. Maybe you’ll be lucky. But I wouldn’t buy a current (ie, not a vintage) used 911 except from a dealer as a CPO, and then only after having reviewed all the service records. Caveat emptor applies in spades with 911s.

Last edited by LSR; 06-20-2020 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 04:22 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Ouch! I would much rather get a 2017 with 10k miles for $85,000-90,000 (private party will be low to mid 80's for sure). That is just me though. Just imagine: if you don't drive this car for 2 years, the most you can sell it for is that 2017 price (say $20k less than you paid); that is flat out yearly depreciation. A 2017 won't lose that kind of money over the next 2 years if you don't drive it; depreciation is likely to be 50-60% of the 2019's depreciation. So, essentially by buying a 2-year newer version of the same car with the same mileage (no difference in anything but the production year) you are paying a $4,000-$5,000 premium. That is a lot of money (and yes, I would get a GTS; just look for one without sport suspension. Any 4S that has the sport package will have GTS suspension; you need one without it if you don't like the sport ride).

If you are going for the best value, grabbing a 2017 as others mentioned is going to leave money in your pocket and save you money upfront.

The following 2 users liked this post by raidersfan:
0luke1 (06-20-2020), GT3FZS (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 04:23 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Also, this has sport package (the suspension you don't like on the GTS).
Old 06-20-2020, 05:02 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Ouch! I would much rather get a 2017 with 10k miles for $85,000-90,000 (private party will be low to mid 80's for sure). That is just me though. Just imagine: if you don't drive this car for 2 years, the most you can sell it for is that 2017 price (say $20k less than you paid); that is flat out yearly depreciation. A 2017 won't lose that kind of money over the next 2 years if you don't drive it; depreciation is likely to be 50-60% of the 2019's depreciation. So, essentially by buying a 2-year newer version of the same car with the same mileage (no difference in anything but the production year) you are paying a $4,000-$5,000 premium. That is a lot of money (and yes, I would get a GTS; just look for one without sport suspension. Any 4S that has the sport package will have GTS suspension; you need one without it if you don't like the sport ride).

If you are going for the best value, grabbing a 2017 as others mentioned is going to leave money in your pocket and save you money upfront.
you are describing a normal depreciation that occurs on any car... of course he would pay less for a 2017... it's 2-3 years older (depending on build date)... why would he want to though? The price he has for this build and year makes sense, and if he can afford it, why not? ALL cars deprecate ... using your logic, I'd never have bought my new 992.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:01 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

If you're buying the car as a daily driver and you want a 911, forget about cost, re-sale and depreciation and whatever else there is. If you have these concerns, forget a Porsche and buy something else. Money savings and Porsche are not mutually inclusive.

Have a '19 C4S ordered my way (which there's less discount), just passed 11k miles in a year and five months. Drive it every day, in the rain or in the sun. Today I'm 4 hours away from home after driving it from Florida to Georgia to North Carolina to Alabama (Porsche 3-day PTX) and back home. I try to enjoy it under all conditions and it has never failed to provide a great feeling.

No one needs a Porsche for transportation, one needs a Porsche for the feeling and enjoyment it provides. It's a toy, but a reliable one and for it's performance, a better choice that many exotics.

Finding that good used car that ticks your boxes isn't easy. If you find one you like, don't get caught up in someone else's opinion over what they think of the car.

Your find is not a common car, but what would dissuade me from a purchase is that it's not from a dealer where you can get a CPO.

I too didn't go for a GTS, there are features (Alcantara) I didn't desire. The 30HP extra are OK but in the real world, it's negligible. An S will get it done.

Good luck on your journey.
The following 3 users liked this post by BSO:
992Sam (06-20-2020), GT3FZS (06-21-2020), Rich_Jenkins (06-21-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 10:09 PM
orangeblood18
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSO
If you're buying the car as a daily driver and you want a 911, forget about cost, re-sale and depreciation and whatever else there is. If you have these concerns, forget a Porsche and buy something else. Money savings and Porsche are not mutually inclusive.

Have a '19 C4S ordered my way (which there's less discount), just passed 11k miles in a year and five months. Drive it every day, in the rain or in the sun. Today I'm 4 hours away from home after driving it from Florida to Georgia to North Carolina to Alabama (Porsche 3-day PTX) and back home. I try to enjoy it under all conditions and it has never failed to provide a great feeling.

No one needs a Porsche for transportation, one needs a Porsche for the feeling and enjoyment it provides. It's a toy, but a reliable one and for it's performance, a better choice that many exotics.

Finding that good used car that ticks your boxes isn't easy. If you find one you like, don't get caught up in someone else's opinion over what they think of the car.

Your find is not a common car, but what would dissuade me from a purchase is that it's not from a dealer where you can get a CPO.

I too didn't go for a GTS, there are features (Alcantara) I didn't desire. The 30HP extra are OK but in the real world, it's negligible. An S will get it done.

Good luck on your journey.
BSO, well said sir and thank you. I will work on the cost to see if I can get $1k or $2k off. I too want to enjoy my car. As long as I stay somewhere around that $15k a year, I am fine and want to drive it everyday. I feel good about the 10k miles. The maintenance is well documented. Not too.much has been done. I have a good friend that works at my local Porsche dealership. He will get the car in and do a good look over everything.

Question, can Porsche offer a extended warranty if I don't buy it there?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:04 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Porsche does offer extended warranties as long as the car is within the original warranty.

Whether or not it’s available to a second owner, I don’t know.

There’s information on the Porsche site under Financial Services but a visit to a dealer may be more definitive.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:09 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Seems overpriced to me as well. With 992 out I am very surprised that prices of .2 have not fallen.
Have you seen 992 pricing?
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (06-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 991.2 and cost?