Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Lithium Battery to Choose

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 270 Posts

I've got a Group 48 40Ah in my 991.1. It was in my 987.2 Cayman S previously. I love the battery, no complaints. The first time you go to drive your car and the battery is flat, and the built in jump start feature saves the day, any doubts you have about whether the cost is worth it will be cast aside! I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:51 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Thank you for the information, so much to learn here as I am completely uneducated about batteries. The car does have all the bells and whistles but is primarily used for cross country road trips, car group events and the occasional track day. I pull it into the shop and hook it up to the tender in between these events. Even if I did lose power and settings it would not bother me as I don't listen to the radio much, don't have memory seats..... I do want it right and hassle free though as the car will be used on many 5,000 mile or greater road trips. I would be more inclined to purchase a mini jump pack than take the option for the auto restart, but I think that is VERY clever and why I selected Antigravity over some of the others.

I guess the only thing I am stuck on is the is the difference in all the AH ratings I am seeing? Based on traditional ratings I could get away with roughly a 25AH but the Antigravity are rated using PbEq, or lead equivalent, then roughly half of that rating is stated as "Actual". What exactly is the difference here?
As I think someone may have touched on, we generally only recommend those smaller sizes on the dedicated track cars....what you're looking at with the ATX series are "powersports" batteries. Generally these are rated in "PbEq" as comparison for overall starting power. When we look at a motorcycle for example the PbEq rating is saying our battery is comparable to a lead/acid battery of that rating. Unlike most motorcycles (although some are starting to do this) the actual amp hour capacity plays a much larger role in functionality and overall power demands so having a larger capacity is more essential for those automotive applications. The other thing to note is that the Re-Start feature is an emergency feature, it's not something to offset or rely on for using a smaller capacity. This in part is why for many of the Porsche applications a 30 or 40 amp hour option is usually the best and right choice, keep in mind, what these batteries are replacing are usually 50, 60 or even larger lead/acid capacity options.

Hopefully that helps clarify but as always feel free to reach out with any other questions.
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 06-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Just ordered the H6 40ah. I gained 10 lbs during the Covid lockdown so this is an easy way to reduce some lbs.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (06-22-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:30 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok, so I just finished the Antigravity RE-START video for our Car Batteries if anyone wants to check it out.

A couple things.... its long, about 18 minutes, but my objective was to make a video that explained a tons of stuff and some of our dealers were asking for training so I wanted to have something that they could get the full low down on most aspects of our RE-START batteries and other things related to Lithium batteries. It not just a sales video, and goes into some of the reasons you may not want to go with Lithium, then goes in to charging with info on the amp hour options also.. But I will make another one specifically for choosing the amp hours that best suit an individual use.

Anyway if you do have the patience to watch it all you'll learn a bit about lithium batteries also.

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
F1SML8R (06-30-2020), skl (12-08-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 03:32 PM
Danger9999
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all

Just reviving this thread…..

Anybody know, if the battery could be used with any advantage in a 991.2 cs ?? Or is it massive overkill

https://solcelle.dk/wordpress/produk...-sb12v160e-zc/

Old 12-07-2022, 10:35 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I read the thread - still not clear why this sort of battery is better than a FLA or AGM?
Old 12-08-2022, 01:46 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Danger9999
Hi all

Just reviving this thread…..

Anybody know, if the battery could be used with any advantage in a 991.2 cs ?? Or is it massive overkill

https://solcelle.dk/wordpress/produk...-sb12v160e-zc/

That is not a Lithium Starter Battery, and would be considered overkill, it is more of an energy storage battery. Per the 160Ah specification that is what is called a Deep Cycle Battery, best of for use in RVs and such to provide energy for Off-Grid applications and appliances RVs use. Also often Deep Cycle Batteries do not have the Pulse Discharge abilities to start Cars. The are designed to store more energy but the cell are not designed for high current pulse discharges for starting Cars. Super B makes Starter Batteries also as I recall. Try looking at those if thats the brand you are looking at.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:56 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
I read the thread - still not clear why this sort of battery is better than a FLA or AGM?
The answer to that questions in regards to our ANtigravity Batteries are these... if they are features you desire from your battery.

- For the H6 (standard Porsche Battery size) you save about 30 pounds of weight just changing the battery out. For the Performance people that is a benefit and no other product will drop 30 lbs from your car that easily and for the low cost of price per pound lost.

- From our perspective the coolest feature of our Lithium Battery is the fact that is has wirelesss built-in Jump STarting so you will never be stranded by a dead battery again. Nor would you be locked out of your frunk as happens to tons of Porsche owners when their battery goes dead. Its sort of a hassle to get the frunk open without battery power. Our battery you simply press the provided key fob to either start your car , or open the frunk in the event you cone back to your car and the battery is dead.

- Much longer lifespan than Lead/Acid Batteries about 2x to 3x longer than modern day Lead/Acid Batteries which sort of have a built in obsolecense to only last about 3-4 years these days. THey use thinner lead/Plates nowadays and need a recurring revenue stream so they design the batteries to not last that long.

- Much higher cranking amps... probably more important to those that modify their car with high performance stuff... but they spin the motor faster and aid starting to a degree.

So those are the top reason why some choose lithium... but they are more expensive initial cost, but in the long run are the better value, but some people do not desire these features. Its all about your application and features you want to determine which is the best for you.
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 02:24 PM
Danger9999
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you kindly for your wise reply Scott. Really appreciate it.

KR Jakob
Old 12-08-2022, 08:42 PM
Snyper886
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

The wireless restart feature saved me a few times when the car was parked for an extended period!

Quick Reply: Which Lithium Battery to Choose