991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Headliner Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020 | 11:37 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Hang in there Wes. It’s of little comfort that you’re the only one to report a problem, but **** does happen. More importantly is how they take care of you, including extending the warranty on your top. I’d start lobbying for it now rather than later.

DaveGee
Old 07-16-2020 | 11:44 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Hang in there Wes. It’s of little comfort that you’re the only one to report a problem, but **** does happen. More importantly is how they take care of you, including extending the warranty on your top. I’d start lobbying for it now rather than later.

DaveGee
That is actually a good suggestion, I will bring it up today and see what happens. I was going to also ask if they (and they should) have a data base of failure rates and MTBF (mean time between failures) of parts and what that looks like from a model year. I am not sure they would be willing to share the MTBF data or failure rates, but it is worth an ask.
Old 07-16-2020 | 12:05 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Hope the second fix is the last fix. I'm a little concerned, mostly because we just got a Targa! Definitely hoping that yours is a fluke. That said, we've not had any issues with our 997 cab top, so the odds are that your problem is a one-off & that the first fix just didn't take. Glad you've got a good dealer, though. That makes all the difference in handling these issues.
Old 06-02-2023 | 04:16 PM
Surfer10
2nd Gear

also posted in 'targa mechanism reliability'.... thank you for sharing, as i have same issue with headliner (one side more noticeable than the other). i'm still under CPO warranty and will take back to dealership where i purchased -- hoping repair is covered as this does not fall under normal wear and tear
Old 06-02-2023 | 05:20 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macanakey
Hope the second fix is the last fix. I'm a little concerned, mostly because we just got a Targa! Definitely hoping that yours is a fluke. That said, we've not had any issues with our 997 cab top, so the odds are that your problem is a one-off & that the first fix just didn't take. Glad you've got a good dealer, though. That makes all the difference in handling these issues.
So, just to provide more clarity, the first failure was on the passenger side, the second was on the drivers...but no issues so far...and both times, the piece that broke looked like a piece of para-cord.
The following users liked this post:
m5biemer (06-03-2023)
Old 05-14-2024 | 04:19 AM
Ed99
Pro

Originally Posted by wes66vette
So, just to provide more clarity, the first failure was on the passenger side, the second was on the drivers...but no issues so far...and both times, the piece that broke looked like a piece of para-cord.
Are these Targa roofs becoming more prone to creaks and issues down the road? Also, curious to know how expensive to fix the Targa roof when there are issues.
Old 05-14-2024 | 07:01 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed99
Are these Targa roofs becoming more prone to creaks and issues down the road? Also, curious to know how expensive to fix the Targa roof when there are issues.
Both my failures occurred under warranty...so I can't speak to cost.
Old 06-13-2024 | 07:01 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wes66vette
Both my failures occurred under warranty...so I can't speak to cost.
So...I was "lucky" enough to have ANOTHER passenger side failure...and it was out of warranty. So, to get the piece that failed replaced (see the 1st post) runs about $3K. I spoke with my SA and talked to him about other 2 failures, they agreed to not charge labor if I bought the part...I was thankful - $1500. Not sure what is going on, but I am getting the same failure at about 2.5 years...I asked for the broken part back so I can see if there is something else going on like a misalignment. They assured me that it was all checked. I have an extended warranty, unfortunately the top isn't covered (sort of understandable).

The dealership still has my car, and it will be warrantied for 2 years after this fix...so fingers crossed. Anyone else seeing these failures...I sort of feel special that I have had 3...

Quick Reply: Targa Headliner Failure