Sponsored by:

991.1 ticking sound in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 12:21 AM
rykomatsu
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koshiw
@SMZ, yup mine happens when warmed up after I give it a good spin, and when idling. I don’t hear it inside the car or while driving. It is CPO which I picked up recently. Dealer did 40k mile service, oil change, spark plus, driving belt, battery, alignment... and the usual inspections.

It’s with the dealer again now. While waiting for the service guy, had to turn off engine, and after a few minutes, couldn’t get the noise back without driving it. Go figure. Waiting to hear back from the shop
Don't mean to necrobump, but did you ever figure out what the issue was? Started hearing similar/same sound about 1/3 way through the road trip, mainly because I heard it being reflected off the wall while sitting at a drive through...
Old 09-29-2020, 02:28 AM
koshiw
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealership narrowed it down to 3 areas. Water pump, some pulley, and AC compressor. They replaced all 3, which i understood to be not cheap. The clicking sound is not completely gone though. Instead it doesn't show up as much and took longer and harder drives to come out. I noticed it has to do with AC compressor. After spirited drive of 20-30 miles I would sometimes hear the clicking sound again. Turning off AC stops it after few minutes. I've come to accept it. I love driving this base 991.1 and if that clicking sound becomes a real problem i'll deal with it. For now it drives great and the engine sings to me. Hope you sort out your issue, let me know what you find.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:10 PM
zio
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by koshiw
My dealership narrowed it down to 3 areas. Water pump, some pulley, and AC compressor. They replaced all 3, which i understood to be not cheap. The clicking sound is not completely gone though. Instead it doesn't show up as much and took longer and harder drives to come out. I noticed it has to do with AC compressor. After spirited drive of 20-30 miles I would sometimes hear the clicking sound again. Turning off AC stops it after few minutes. I've come to accept it. I love driving this base 991.1 and if that clicking sound becomes a real problem i'll deal with it. For now it drives great and the engine sings to me. Hope you sort out your issue, let me know what you find.
Thank god for the warranty
Old 09-29-2020, 02:21 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 484 Posts

Yikes $$$, replaced all 3 and its still there.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:33 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Stuck valve... just add some Marvel Mystery Oil.

Oh wait, this is not my high school years '65 Ford pickup with a straight six--nevermind.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:15 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the same sound. Started couple months ago. 2013 C2.
will get it over to the dealer when coolant pipes on Cayenne are done so I can switch cars.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,953 Likes on 1,209 Posts

There's a thing the dealership will do, I don't think it's a quite a TSB but it's along those lines, in response to customer complaints about noise from the a/c unit. I don't have the work order number or anything but it's "a/c noise insulation pads" and they were installed on my .2 due to an irregular clunking sound that ended up being my PDK. Not sure if the issue is shared with the .1, but worth mentioning.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:42 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the followup.
I was out for 40 mile drive today without using AC.
Came home left engine running no ticking. Turned AC on and within 30 seconds tiking/pinging starting to crop up.
Will try to test more when I can.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:28 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

LMAO “we narrowed down the noise, it’s your engine it needs to be replaced.”

Don’t worry it’s covered under warranty.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:12 PM
BoVice
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear coupler syphon

That's the rear coupler siphon. On the old Carerras they were notorious for having the bearings slip through into the diffuser rod. It's a complex but not expensive job, as long as you're not paying for the time. Just get it on a ramp, disconnect the three point lead under the centre axle ball and strip back the mid carriage plating. Then replace the bearing housing and stick on a new rubber boot around the bearings. Job done.

Quick Reply: 991.1 ticking sound in the rear