Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any downside to Tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 02:03 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

if you have an S you can always GTS your car and keep the warranty banditos happy.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,992 Likes on 5,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Think of the new Turbo S - much more power and the rest is basically the same...adding an extra 100 of each is not going to break anything. And if you ran for a little while with a tune and then took it off you would change your mind I am sure!
If we're talking about the new 992 Turbo S, then the entire chassis is different given the changeover from the 991 to 992 generation.

But since this is a 991 sub-forum, I would assume the apt comparison would be the 991 generation Turbo S (either .1 or .2) to the 991.2 Carrera S.

And, yes, while the basic underpinnings and overall chassis design is the same, there are not insignificant differences, including some of the more notable ones like better cooling for the turbos and redesigned turbos (compared to the C2S), better aerodynamics, as well as active aerodynamics in the front and rear, wider track, wider rear wheels (and offset), larger standard brakes (assuming the C2S isn't spec'd with optional PCCBs), and RWS. Of course, AWD, but then one could just get a C4/S, I suppose. Not to mention other standard goodies to make the Turbo S handle like it does, such as PDCC.

So lets say a person gets a tune, and pumps up the 991.2 C2S to something like 600 hp. Will that car handle at speed the same as a stock C2S? You say, "sure, why not, the Turbo S with about as much power does it with aplomb." But then the Turbo S comes with all the little things mentioned above that -- some that can be optioned on a regular C2S -- but some that cannot, like the aero tweaks, the wider track, RWS, and the larger contact patch from the bigger tires.

Just something to consider.

Of course, it's your car, do with it what makes you happiest. My point is simply that just adding more power alone rarely, if ever, makes the car better without also considering everything else that that power requires to make the car drive like it should, or can.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:29 PM
Trapperj
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I reckon I’m old. It wasn’t long ago to get a 20% gain in HP /TQ required removal and rework of engine components. Lots is of head work, different camshafts, major Fueling problems. Now, with FI motors a simple flash and gains can be had much greater than that and zero drivability issues. What’s not to love about the that? The true golden age is now.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:41 PM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I couldn't imagine going back to stock, I have a base 991.2 with an 93 APR tune. No downsides so far...
Old 05-30-2020, 08:59 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No doubt.

But you have to consider the whole package. Can't just focus on drivetrain, without looking at the chassis, springs, shocks, swaybars, brakes, etc.

Giving a girl just bigger ***** doesn't automatically make her a more beautiful girl.
i dunno, when i was single, 2AM in the bar those ***** made her look beautiful

Quick Reply: Any downside to Tunes?