Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 C2S 7MT vs Carerra T MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020 | 07:23 PM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

Default 991.1 C2S 7MT vs Carerra T MT

First off. I swear I searched forever so if I missed an existing thread just point me there.

My 2014 Carerra S Manual is out of CPO warranty next month so I want a newer in warranty car. Haven’t had a single issue with this car ever, I’m just an in-warranty kind of person.

I have all of the good driver options on my .1 (manual, SPASM, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono) so it’s a sporty driver.

All street , no track.

If I got a T, I’d get manual with LWB and rear seat delete. If not I’d get a .2 S, but the T is speaking to me and cost a chunk less.

CPO 981 GT4/Spyder are in consideration too.

Looking for those with direct comparison experience if possible.

Hopefully not a duplicate to existing post.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

The following users liked this post:
Van Larson (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020 | 08:12 PM
GTlife
Advanced

If I may ask, you seem to enjoy your vehicle...why don't you just buy a warranty for your .1?

I'd go T then 2S if you are dead set on .2.

Nice garage btw!
GT3FZS (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020 | 08:19 PM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

i though about the Fidelity Platinum and priced them out because I do absolutely love this car, but it’s been 3 years and I’m ready for a change.

In my mind, if I’m getting an aftermarket warranty, I’d pair it with a 997 Turbo probably. Also in the consideration set, just wasn’t sure I can go backwards on the interior.

981 Boxster S before this and RS60 Spyder before that so I’ve been in this generation inside since 2013.

Originally Posted by GTlife
If I may ask, you seem to enjoy your vehicle...why don't you just buy a warranty for your .1?

I'd go T then 2S if you are dead set on .2.

Nice garage btw!
Old 05-25-2020 | 09:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Engine is up for debate, and for many will come down to personal preference, but the 991.2's handling and PCM upgrades aren't. Basic form factor/interior/utility are unchanged, which is to say they're as good as the .1, which is very good indeed.

Keep a so far super reliable 991.1S and warranty it, or move to a 991.2T? You can't go wrong, but I'd grab a T.
The following 4 users liked this post by stout:
Aaronr (05-25-2020), GT3FZS (05-25-2020), spyderbret (05-26-2020), vaiddyesa (06-13-2020)
Old 05-25-2020 | 09:34 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

I have a T. Love it and plan on keeping it a long time. Having said that, I really would like a ‘15 gts....
Old 05-25-2020 | 09:56 PM
GTlife
Advanced

That's the beauty with Porsche, all trims powertrains and transmissions serve a niche.

How about trying out a 17 GTS 7MT?
Aaronr (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020 | 11:17 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

I would think twice about selling that car. As good as the T is, the bang for the buck is just not that great going from a .1S to .2T. I have a base .2 and love it. I've driven enough .1s to know the difference and just don't think it is worth selling a well dialed in .1S. Think about the beating you will take on the transaction, and save that money for repairs and maintenance on your car. And by the way, you have already taken a big depreciation hit on your car, I would not want to start that over again on the upgrades the T will provide. Unless of course you have to have it...and money doesn't matter
edit- by the way- the Techno wheels look great

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 05-26-2020 at 08:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJ Cayenne:
Guaji (05-26-2020), stout (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 01:19 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

+1 for keeping your current car. You love it, it has been rock solid, and it is the last of the NA engines in the Carrera. There will always be more turbocharged Carreras to be had, but no more with NA engines. "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't," or so they say.
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:28 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aaronr
First off. I swear I searched forever so if I missed an existing thread just point me there.

My 2014 Carerra S Manual is out of CPO warranty next month so I want a newer in warranty car. Haven’t had a single issue with this car ever, I’m just an in-warranty kind of person.

I have all of the good driver options on my .1 (manual, SPASM, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono) so it’s a sporty driver.

All street , no track.

If I got a T, I’d get manual with LWB and rear seat delete. If not I’d get a .2 S, but the T is speaking to me and cost a chunk less.

CPO 981 GT4/Spyder are in consideration too.

Looking for those with direct comparison experience if possible.

Hopefully not a duplicate to existing post.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Hi there Aaron (A-A-ron),

I am probably the guy you want to talk to, as I have owned a GT4, 991.2 w/RAS and 991.1 C2S with all of the sport options. All manuals of course. I also drove a T back when they came out (benefits of living in a no registration tax state!).

Your car is pretty sweet: it will be hard to duplicate. If you want to be in warranty, check out Michael who does the Fidelity warranty to Porsche people here. I think it he is in New Orleans. A big extended warranty for your car won't be bad and will certainly be cheaper than paying a premium to trade in your car and get a newer car, if that is your real concern. Trading for a in-warranty car will cost a whole heck of a lot more than a $3,800 4-year 45k bumper to bumper would from Michael. I love the engine note and the powerband range. There is something satisfying about driving an NA engine that can't be duplicated with turbos. You have to reach for the power and not just jab at the gas pedal; engagement is why I buy a sportscar.

If you want something newer, I will say that the 991.2 is the highest performing car. The C2S with RAS was incredible: the limits are so high on that car and the RAS feels very natural. I still miss ours. The Carrera T was very similar, although I didn't drive the RAS version, which is a must in my book. Not quite as quick, but overall I didn't notice a weight difference; both have more than enough power, but there is nothing wrong with having more power in the C2S. The LWB is not a C2S option, but you can put these in any car. You lose the rear seats if you go with the 991 buckets. It doesn't look like there is a "Carrera T premium" depreciation is about the same for both cars when you consider model year, mileage, and MSRP. Shopping C2S will give you more options though, and you can easily upgrade it to GTS OEM specs, which you cannot do with the T platform. Aftermarket options are available for power are available for the T however.

The GT4 was by far the most engaging car I drove: the combination of buckets and the suspension is lively and feels like a sports car should! It is definitely the most "fun" stock car I have owned. I highly recommend buckets; they fit me very well and just add to the feel of these cars. You can't beat the GT4 in terms of "wow" factor, and I would rather have that over a T w/bucket delete and no rear seats. A big reason we have a 911 is that we need rear seats for kiddos: without that need, we would still own the GT4. It is a better car unless you suffer from 911 badge envy. Having driven both at the track and at autocross, the Cayman platform is just a more fun car: you can rotate it so much more easily than you can a 911, and it is more predictable at the limit.

Here is another option for you: if you really want buckets, source a set of 997 carbon buckets for $5,000. You keep the rear seat functionality with 997 buckets and you can sell the set when you are done. That gives you the best of both worlds, as the 997 buckets in the 997 generation were an option and kept the functionality of the rear 911 seats, but the 991/981 buckets lost the rear seat functionality and were subsequently only offered in the T and the no-back-seat cars (GT3/GT4/GT2).

For me, it all comes down to if you want a firm sportscar ride and don't need rear seats. GT4 wins if you check those boxes. If not, an argument could be made for the other 3 cars. From a value standpoint, it appears as if the 991.2 cars are not doing quite as well as the 991.1 version or the GT4, which will probably settle at $70-80k and stay there for a long time.

My ranking:

Overall everything:
991.2 C2S (rear seats/RAS/POWER and performance)
991.1 C2S (rear seats, NA engine, killer looks still)
991.2 T (similar to C2S but down on power, would take NA engine note and powerband over loss of 50 ponies from 991.2 C2S)
GT4 (no rear seats, best driver's car, too firm for some, perfect for me, NA engine, 6MT is better than 7MT, tops if you don't need rear seats)

The following 4 users liked this post by Kg11:
Aaronr (05-26-2020), marcnyc (06-11-2020), polobai (05-26-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:48 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Those cars in the background still have a factory warranty?
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:15 PM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

This is awesome, thanks!

no rear seats needed, just 2 of us. No kids

Originally Posted by Kg11
Hi there Aaron (A-A-ron),

I am probably the guy you want to talk to, as I have owned a GT4, 991.2 w/RAS and 991.1 C2S with all of the sport options. All manuals of course. I also drove a T back when they came out (benefits of living in a no registration tax state!).

Your car is pretty sweet: it will be hard to duplicate. If you want to be in warranty, check out Michael who does the Fidelity warranty to Porsche people here. I think it he is in New Orleans. A big extended warranty for your car won't be bad and will certainly be cheaper than paying a premium to trade in your car and get a newer car, if that is your real concern. Trading for a in-warranty car will cost a whole heck of a lot more than a $3,800 4-year 45k bumper to bumper would from Michael. I love the engine note and the powerband range. There is something satisfying about driving an NA engine that can't be duplicated with turbos. You have to reach for the power and not just jab at the gas pedal; engagement is why I buy a sportscar.

If you want something newer, I will say that the 991.2 is the highest performing car. The C2S with RAS was incredible: the limits are so high on that car and the RAS feels very natural. I still miss ours. The Carrera T was very similar, although I didn't drive the RAS version, which is a must in my book. Not quite as quick, but overall I didn't notice a weight difference; both have more than enough power, but there is nothing wrong with having more power in the C2S. The LWB is not a C2S option, but you can put these in any car. You lose the rear seats if you go with the 991 buckets. It doesn't look like there is a "Carrera T premium" depreciation is about the same for both cars when you consider model year, mileage, and MSRP. Shopping C2S will give you more options though, and you can easily upgrade it to GTS OEM specs, which you cannot do with the T platform. Aftermarket options are available for power are available for the T however.

The GT4 was by far the most engaging car I drove: the combination of buckets and the suspension is lively and feels like a sports car should! It is definitely the most "fun" stock car I have owned. I highly recommend buckets; they fit me very well and just add to the feel of these cars. You can't beat the GT4 in terms of "wow" factor, and I would rather have that over a T w/bucket delete and no rear seats. A big reason we have a 911 is that we need rear seats for kiddos: without that need, we would still own the GT4. It is a better car unless you suffer from 911 badge envy. Having driven both at the track and at autocross, the Cayman platform is just a more fun car: you can rotate it so much more easily than you can a 911, and it is more predictable at the limit.

Here is another option for you: if you really want buckets, source a set of 997 carbon buckets for $5,000. You keep the rear seat functionality with 997 buckets and you can sell the set when you are done. That gives you the best of both worlds, as the 997 buckets in the 997 generation were an option and kept the functionality of the rear 911 seats, but the 991/981 buckets lost the rear seat functionality and were subsequently only offered in the T and the no-back-seat cars (GT3/GT4/GT2).

For me, it all comes down to if you want a firm sportscar ride and don't need rear seats. GT4 wins if you check those boxes. If not, an argument could be made for the other 3 cars. From a value standpoint, it appears as if the 991.2 cars are not doing quite as well as the 991.1 version or the GT4, which will probably settle at $70-80k and stay there for a long time.

My ranking:

Overall everything:
991.2 C2S (rear seats/RAS/POWER and performance)
991.1 C2S (rear seats, NA engine, killer looks still)
991.2 T (similar to C2S but down on power, would take NA engine note and powerband over loss of 50 ponies from 991.2 C2S)
GT4 (no rear seats, best driver's car, too firm for some, perfect for me, NA engine, 6MT is better than 7MT, tops if you don't need rear seats)
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:18 PM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

😄 Nope, but none are my daily driver, and all scare me way less from a cost standpoint if a motor or trans give up.

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Those cars in the background still have a factory warranty?
Old 05-27-2020 | 06:56 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default T question

For me the only.compelling reason to make the switch from a .1S to a T is that with a stage 1 tune (no hardware) from threads on here it would appear you can hit 500hp. This of course voids the warranty and your stated reason for the switch. For me a sports car should be at least 400 hp and this is a very inexpensive way to get a very high performing vehicle. I have not driven one but apparently the MT is wonderful. That being said more than 400hp is not really useable on the street (or for me on the track). Im sure there are more skilled drivers who can take advantage of higher power levels.
PJ Cayenne (05-27-2020)
Old 05-30-2020 | 04:58 PM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I’ve decided to get the T.

It really came down to age/mileage for me- just really want a fresh car.

My car is gone.

Now to find the right Carrera T!

Aaron

Last edited by Aaronr; 06-11-2020 at 10:19 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aaronr:
AdamSanta85 (07-18-2020), spyderbret (05-30-2020), vaiddyesa (05-31-2020)
Old 06-11-2020 | 10:25 AM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

For anyone who may be looking, my former car is now for sale and is rock solid - https://www.chicagomotorcars.com/201...ded-c-6989.htm

I placed a wanted ad in the marketplace, but if anyone knows of a Carerra T with a manual and light weight buckets please shoot me a PM!

Yes, I know I missed the $85K GT silver car in Wisconsin. I was too slow, it was sold by the time I reached out

Quick Reply: 991.1 C2S 7MT vs Carerra T MT