Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Engine lid will not release and rear spoiler not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020 | 10:24 PM
cf104
Track Day

Default Help, Engine lid will not release and rear spoiler not functioning

Hi all, I have a 2014 991 50th anniversary and the engine release button does not work. I tried to raise the rear spoiler to see if I can get access to the manual release cable for the engine lid, but the spoiler is inoperable as well.
Fuses are all good, so I think it might an electrical cable issue. So now, is there any other way to open the engine lid in this situation.

thanks
Old 05-13-2020 | 12:03 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cf104
Hi all, I have a 2014 991 50th anniversary and the engine release button does not work. I tried to raise the rear spoiler to see if I can get access to the manual release cable for the engine lid, but the spoiler is inoperable as well.
Fuses are all good, so I think it might an electrical cable issue. So now, is there any other way to open the engine lid in this situation.

thanks
Can you open the Frunk? If yes, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes hoping it will reset your spoiler. Will the spoiler deploy under normal programmed speeds? When you pull on the engine lid switch up do you hear a mechanical click? If no, you could have a bad switch, lid motor or bad harness cable. Hopefully mice didn’t chew your cable. When my lid wouldn’t open the problem was a bad lid switch (next to driver seat). There is a release cable located on the right rear section under the engine lid under a plastic cover. Access is achieved by raising the spoiler, but you don’t have that option.

Deployed spoiler / Engine Bay release cable.

release cable under plastic cover (right side) engine bay.

Engine Bay Latch Motor / Cable Under Spoiler.

Old 05-13-2020 | 01:53 AM
cf104
Track Day

Thanks for the reply. Tried all those options. No sound when pulling the engine lid button. Spoiler will not go up by pressing the button or automatically when driving.
I looked under the engine and under the rear passenger wheel well to see if that wire was accessible but no go on that either.
Old 05-13-2020 | 03:57 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

You can access the cable from under the car. Been there, done that when I dislodged it during and oil change. And with the sport design package I can’t access the emergency cable by lifting the spoiler. Get under the car on the passengers side with a flashlight and you can see it. You’ll need a bent coat hanger or something to reach it with. It’s farther up than you’d think. I just tugged on it like that and it popped open. I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by B.Kish:
Carlo_Carrera (05-13-2020), Cristophosphorus (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020 | 11:34 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Not to derail your thread, but what’s the red stuff on your avatar car? A protectant for track days, or something else? Post a pic so we can get a better look.

DaveGee
Old 05-13-2020 | 11:57 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B.Kish
You can access the cable from under the car. Been there, done that when I dislodged it during and oil change. And with the sport design package I can’t access the emergency cable by lifting the spoiler. Get under the car on the passengers side with a flashlight and you can see it. You’ll need a bent coat hanger or something to reach it with. It’s farther up than you’d think. I just tugged on it like that and it popped open. I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow.
Here are the pictures. The cable is way up there. It’s right under the passenger engine fan. And to the left of it is the emergency cable. Good luck.

Emergency cable

Main cable
Old 05-13-2020 | 02:10 PM
cf104
Track Day

@DaveGee , the red stuff on the hood is vinyl wrap. I added that for a little retro look and to match my 81sc as well. You can see more pics of on my instagram profile. https://www.instagram.com/jimmy__y/
Old 05-13-2020 | 02:12 PM
cf104
Track Day

@B.Kish Thanks for the pics. I will give that a try today.
Old 05-13-2020 | 03:48 PM
cf104
Track Day

Success! I got underneath and tried to match up the location of the pics from @B.Kish and after 15 minutes I saw the cable. Hooked it with a stiff wire and Pop it opened up.
Checked the wiring and right next to the manual cable is an electrical plug that was loose for some reason. As soon as I pushed it together I heard the lock servo.
Porsche.......What a stupid place to put a manual cable when the lid will not open. I will modify this cable for easier future access.

Thank you @B.Kish and @Sidvicious7 for the input.

The following users liked this post:
LargePuppy (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020 | 04:42 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Is this the same manual cable on the top side of the car, or are their two manual cables, one in the top engine compartment and another on the underside?
Old 05-13-2020 | 04:54 PM
cf104
Track Day

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Is this the same manual cable on the top side of the car, or are their two manual cables, one in the top engine compartment and another on the underside?
It's the same cable. There's only one.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (05-13-2020)
Old 05-14-2020 | 07:09 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Glad you got in there! I've taken to using a zip tie on that electrical connector as the clip on it was broken at some point in the past. Is the clip for yours still intact?
Old 05-15-2020 | 12:21 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

The front cable for the frunk release is just as stupid.
Old 05-15-2020 | 10:50 AM
cf104
Track Day

Originally Posted by koala
Glad you got in there! I've taken to using a zip tie on that electrical connector as the clip on it was broken at some point in the past. Is the clip for yours still intact?
It clicked when I pushed it in and everything looked fine. No idea why it was loose.
Old 05-15-2020 | 12:32 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cf104
Success! I got underneath and tried to match up the location of the pics from @B.Kish and after 15 minutes I saw the cable. Hooked it with a stiff wire and Pop it opened up.
Checked the wiring and right next to the manual cable is an electrical plug that was loose for some reason. As soon as I pushed it together I heard the lock servo.
Porsche.......What a stupid place to put a manual cable when the lid will not open. I will modify this cable for easier future access.

Thank you @B.Kish and @Sidvicious7 for the input.

If you think that's stupid, on early 991.1 models the latch had a cheap cable retainer such that the cable could and did jump out - the emergency cable was of no use because it was connected to nothing, Happened under warranty and I don't know how they got it open,

Quick Reply: Help, Engine lid will not release and rear spoiler not functioning