Sponsored by:

Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:03 PM
trayvon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Climate Control

I posted a similar question (well the exact same one) on the 987-981 forum but since I am also looking at lightly optioned base 991 cars I wanted to ask here as well. How would you guys feel about storing your car in a non-climate controlled self storage unit? In the midwest where I live, summers are 90+ degrees and humid, while winters are kinda mild when it comes to snow but below freezing temps are the norm.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:08 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Perfectly fine. I store mine here in NJ and our winters get cold. Just put it in a trickle charger, some additive in a full tank of gas, and you’re good.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 PM
trayvon
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ991
Perfectly fine. I store mine here in NJ and our winters get cold. Just put it in a trickle charger, some additive in a full tank of gas, and you’re good.
Anything I should do to avoid damage from rodents? I've been told they absolutely love to chew through wiring
Old 05-12-2020, 02:41 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Trayvon,

There are companys that make full zip up automotive bags for your car by size of vehicle Google it as I can't remember which ones maybe start with calcarcover.com but you drive onto it then zip up your car up your car in it. Why not? If you're having to store your car where car where mice and whatever else could eat it. I would use something like that if I had the funds and had to store my car. Below is 2012 my MT base currently getting factory PSE installed!

Eric

Old 05-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by trayvon
Anything I should do to avoid damage from rodents? I've been told they absolutely love to chew through wiring
Remove those Cheeto bags from under the seat? Kidding. I used to travel the US in an RV for extended periods of time. Rodents to a lot of damage to RVs in storage. There are some good ideas in the RV world, this set of guidance is typical:

https://rvshare.com/blog/how-to-keep...ut-of-your-rv/

I'm in FL and my car is a DD, I do not store it in winter/summer. For that I would defer to the folks who store in the winter months.

Also, paging @LexVan
Old 05-12-2020, 05:07 PM
trayvon
Instructor

The car won't really be in "storage" in the traditional sense that it won't be driven, it will be driven at least once or twice a week. I don't know of mice or rodents are still a legitimate concern at a storage facility.

A car "bag" sounds like it might help, although it could also trap moisture, and I've heard car covers can damage paint?

I highly doubt I would have access to electricity. Most self-storage places are not going to want to let you plug in a fan that runs 24/7/365.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:16 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

sorry, I don’t have any sort of critters by my house. Just some bugs here and there outside. But nothing in the garage
Old 05-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

My garage (attached to house) isn't heated (or cooled) but it doesn't get below freezing. In the spring/summer/fall, the car gets driven plenty. I put it on a trickle charger if I am going to leave it sitting for more than a week and keep the tires well inflated and at least a half tank of gas if stored for much longer periods.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM
trayvon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurricane
My garage (attached to house) isn't heated (or cooled) but it doesn't get below freezing. In the spring/summer/fall, the car gets driven plenty. I put it on a trickle charger if I am going to leave it sitting for more than a week and keep the tires well inflated and at least a half tank of gas if stored for much longer periods.
I don't think this would be the case where I live. Avg low is between 25 and 30F for 3 months of the winter, and we get a good number of even colder days. I have a hard time imagining that a non-climate controlled storage unit would stay above freezing.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Set up the mouse hotels that they enter, eat the poison then leave an hopefully die elsewhere. Put some moth ***** under the car. Check on it every now and then and look for mouse droppings. You could probably foam or caulk gaps if you were planning on being in the unit for a while.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:35 AM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 130 Posts

For 20+ years I've kept an RX7 in a rather ramshackle unheated garage. The car gets driven only a few times a month. I learned that rodents are very industrious and can do much damage in as little as a day or two. They chew through wiring insulation and store seeds in all the wrong places. They also bring in nesting material or shred parts of your car for use as nesting material. And their bodily wastes are the worst. They are more likely to be a problem as summer ends and the days grow shorter when they seek places to spend the winter. I've tried all manner of repellents - clothes dryer sheets, mothballs, etc. They don't work very well. For my situation, the best approach was to open the hood and set 2 or 3 spring traps (peanut butter bait) in the engine bay. (I object to untended box traps and glue traps at needlessly cruel. Use of poisons can result in dead mice killing other animals or rotting away inside your car.) The local rodent population will be quickly depleted and you probably won't catch any more until the next Fall. Still, I keep the hood open and baited traps in the engine bay between drives.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 AM
trayvon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Southbranch
For 20+ years I've kept an RX7 in a rather ramshackle unheated garage. The car gets driven only a few times a month. I learned that rodents are very industrious and can do much damage in as little as a day or two. They chew through wiring insulation and store seeds in all the wrong places. They also bring in nesting material or shred parts of your car for use as nesting material. And their bodily wastes are the worst. They are more likely to be a problem as summer ends and the days grow shorter when they seek places to spend the winter. I've tried all manner of repellents - clothes dryer sheets, mothballs, etc. They don't work very well. For my situation, the best approach was to open the hood and set 2 or 3 spring traps (peanut butter bait) in the engine bay. (I object to untended box traps and glue traps at needlessly cruel. Use of poisons can result in dead mice killing other animals or rotting away inside your car.) The local rodent population will be quickly depleted and you probably won't catch any more until the next Fall. Still, I keep the hood open and baited traps in the engine bay between drives.
Yikes this sounds like a bigger deal to concern myself with than temperature. Is it possible the storage facility will be airtight enough to not allow rodents in? Seems like they'd need at least an inch or two and if you could guarantee there aren't any gaps you'd be fine. Or I could just get a car "bag", but I don't know what kind of damage that could do to the paint... And I don't want to pay $5k+ for a full Xpel
Old 05-13-2020, 01:22 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yikes this sounds like a bigger deal to concern myself with than temperature. Is it possible the storage facility will be airtight enough to not allow rodents in? Seems like they'd need at least an inch or two and if you could guarantee there aren't any gaps you'd be fine. Or I could just get a car "bag", but I don't know what kind of damage that could do to the paint... And I don't want to pay $5k+ for a full Xpel
I would assume that all storage facility buildings have mice. Any of my neighbors that had to store their belongings between moves in a storage facility brought mice into their home. NASTY!
Old 05-13-2020, 01:26 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This would work if the unit is big enough.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...xoCdkMQAvD_BwE

Car Capsule has some options at various price points
Old 05-13-2020, 08:34 AM
sdsc
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

You’re overthinking this...it’s a car not a living thing. How would it be any different than all the other cars parked in non-climate controlled garages?

Quick Reply: Climate Control