Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:05 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Personally speaking I like that the gts platform has the same hardware (minus turbos) as the base so that should indicate that the motor itself is safe to at least 450hp. I like to push the envelope and see what it can do within reason. Always nice to surprise the “faster” cars on the track with a combination of increased power and a relatively light weight platform for what the 991 is.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:08 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
"A car is only fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock the door." Walter Rohrl
This is a true statement

My 93 RX-7 with a GT35R turbo scares/scared me. The traction control was your right foot, and the stability control was your right foot, eyes, arms and vestibular apparatus. Put down over 450 rwhp at under 3000 lbs with driver.

You could smoke the tires through 3rd. Never could understand how people wanted more than 500 rwhp in that car. If you made the mistake of hammering it under 3000 rpm, and let the turbo hit you were in for a while twitchy ride. If the car was above 4000 rpm power delivery was much more predictable, downside you could only use that power on the track.

Unfortunately I turned a great chassis/car from a great autocross car/track car into a highway queen.

Back on topic for the 991.2 GTS. I think it could use a bit more mid-range. The power delivery stock is incredibly more useful due to the size of the turbos. It was clearly designed to be a daily driver. The turbos in the base come on quicker due to their smaller size, but agree that they run out of steam up top in stock form. Suspect a tune will help all variants of the 991.2 family.

My 991.2 doesn't scare me like my RX-7 did. I find that the E63s has a bit more 'fear factor' mainly due to the thought of a 4 door sedan (weighing ALOT more) is hurtling along as quickly as the 911.

Bottomline, I am hoping to tune the 991.2 when APR has an at home tune solution.

Quick Reply: Tune discussion