Sponsored by:

Getting a 991.2 on Friday

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:46 PM
slytsi
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack F
A 2017 maintained to Porsche standards should have had a few oil changes based years. Ask about water pump, change over valves(unlikely), any recalls. A DME over rev report could be easy to get. Someone drove it and the demos are driven hard at times and not always warmed up. They can tell you how many times the car has been launched with launch control. Ask if there has been any body damage. I guess all of this should have been asked prior to buying the car, but that’s just me. Good luck with the sale and enjoy!

Excellent information, thank you for the response. I've asked the salesman to get me the DME report and service history. He's agreed to do that. I already asked about body work and paint repair and there has been none.

If had to walk away there is still the opportunity to do so, and it gives me great confidence to have access to this group that knows better than I do.
Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2020, 02:51 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

You have now set the record for most consecutive posts
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
LargePuppy (05-12-2020), Rich_Jenkins (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by slytsi
Its a bit of both. While I have the dealers attention, what else should I be asking about before I sign and drive. Thank you for your response.
Sounds like money has not changed hands and you can back out of the deal?

Ok, that being the case, I'm assuming you've agreed on a price and the car is as represented. Here are a few things to think about, prior to a commit:

- Tires - CPO inspection means they are "acceptable" which might be as low as the legal limit of 1.6mm - take a simple tire tread depth indicator with you and check. A '17 may have come with Pirelli P Zero N0 tires as OEM. With 3K miles there should be plenty of tread left, somewhere around 7,5 to 8mm. This is a simple check.

- Open the frunk and check the toolkit for the tools. If you have a security bolt on the wheels, make sure the wheel security bolt adapter is there (mine was in the glove box.)

- Make sure the cab top opens and closes with no weird noises. Make sure that both front windows raise and lower with no issues. Make sure the spoiler raises and lowers (use the manual raise/lower button).

- Pull out and look under the floor mats. I didn't do this on my '17, but did when I got home. Turns out the OEM pedal pad was worn and torn. If I had simply pulled the floor mats out at the selling dealer, I might have used this as a negotiation. But again, with 3K, you should be ok.

- A CPO car does not mean "pristine", it means it has passed a mechanical inspection and has an extended OEM warranty. This is a good thing. But it does not mean the car has not had body damage or been repaired. Ask this question.

- Service needs would be by time, not mileage on this car. For example, brake fluid should be replaced at 2 year intervals; oil service is annual. Getting service records is a very good idea.

- Make sure all Porsche Owner's manuals and both keys are included.

- Make sure the car is a CPO. Some dealers can / will show you the CPO inspection sheet, or some will share the screen info from PCNA. If you aren't sure, ask PCNA. Give them the VIN and they will confirm. My dealer did not share any paperwork confirming the car was a CPO until after I drove home to Tampa. Shame on me. It did take about 7 weeks until I got my CPO welcome package and CPO "credit card" from Atlanta.

- Yes the water pump is a common failure items on '17s. But it is covered by warranty, if it has not been replaced.

- I would ask that all open recalls and campaigns be taken care of at the dealer prior to pickup. You can enter the VIN on PCNA web site and find out what recalls are open on that car.

- If you are interested in any accessories, ask at the time of signing the paperwork. They may throw in a set of rubber mats, or a Porsche Keychain. Or you may want a bottle of oil for the trip home and one of those snazzy oil containers. Or a bottle of Porsche Windscreen concentrate. Or a kit with touch up plus clear coat paint in your Porsche paint color. You may be offered a discount if you purchase at time of sale, or the sales guy may just give them to you. (My wife asked for and got a nice blue Porsche leather keychain, gratis, when she bought her Cayenne, for example.)

If it feels right, buy it and drive it like you stole it!! My poverty spec C2 puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Vsapra (06-16-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:22 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Really beautiful!
Old 05-12-2020, 03:35 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Great advice for you here OP, and that is a great looking convertible! I’m curious why you are saying 23 months warranty isn’t it 24 months on a CPO?
Old 05-12-2020, 03:45 PM
slytsi
Track Day

Originally Posted by smiles11
You have now set the record for most consecutive posts
+1 more post. I like to recognize people who are helpful!
Old 05-12-2020, 03:46 PM
slytsi
Track Day

Originally Posted by sr5959
Great advice for you here OP, and that is a great looking convertible! I’m curious why you are saying 23 months warranty isn’t it 24 months on a CPO?
I believe CPO is based on 4 + 2 years from original in service date. Thank you for the response.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:50 PM
slytsi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Sounds like money has not changed hands and you can back out of the deal?

Ok, that being the case, I'm assuming you've agreed on a price and the car is as represented. Here are a few things to think about, prior to a commit:

- Tires - CPO inspection means they are "acceptable" which might be as low as the legal limit of 1.6mm - take a simple tire tread depth indicator with you and check. A '17 may have come with Pirelli P Zero N0 tires as OEM. With 3K miles there should be plenty of tread left, somewhere around 7,5 to 8mm. This is a simple check.

- Open the frunk and check the toolkit for the tools. If you have a security bolt on the wheels, make sure the wheel security bolt adapter is there (mine was in the glove box.)

- Make sure the cab top opens and closes with no weird noises. Make sure that both front windows raise and lower with no issues. Make sure the spoiler raises and lowers (use the manual raise/lower button).

- Pull out and look under the floor mats. I didn't do this on my '17, but did when I got home. Turns out the OEM pedal pad was worn and torn. If I had simply pulled the floor mats out at the selling dealer, I might have used this as a negotiation. But again, with 3K, you should be ok.

- A CPO car does not mean "pristine", it means it has passed a mechanical inspection and has an extended OEM warranty. This is a good thing. But it does not mean the car has not had body damage or been repaired. Ask this question.

- Service needs would be by time, not mileage on this car. For example, brake fluid should be replaced at 2 year intervals; oil service is annual. Getting service records is a very good idea.

- Make sure all Porsche Owner's manuals and both keys are included.

- Make sure the car is a CPO. Some dealers can / will show you the CPO inspection sheet, or some will share the screen info from PCNA. If you aren't sure, ask PCNA. Give them the VIN and they will confirm. My dealer did not share any paperwork confirming the car was a CPO until after I drove home to Tampa. Shame on me. It did take about 7 weeks until I got my CPO welcome package and CPO "credit card" from Atlanta.

- Yes the water pump is a common failure items on '17s. But it is covered by warranty, if it has not been replaced.

- I would ask that all open recalls and campaigns be taken care of at the dealer prior to pickup. You can enter the VIN on PCNA web site and find out what recalls are open on that car.

- If you are interested in any accessories, ask at the time of signing the paperwork. They may throw in a set of rubber mats, or a Porsche Keychain. Or you may want a bottle of oil for the trip home and one of those snazzy oil containers. Or a bottle of Porsche Windscreen concentrate. Or a kit with touch up plus clear coat paint in your Porsche paint color. You may be offered a discount if you purchase at time of sale, or the sales guy may just give them to you. (My wife asked for and got a nice blue Porsche leather keychain, gratis, when she bought her Cayenne, for example.)

If it feels right, buy it and drive it like you stole it!! My poverty spec C2 puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. Good luck!
This response is gold, thank you @Rich_Jenkins !!!!
The tires are now brand new, evidently the CPO program required them to be replaced due to age, not mileage. I will followup on the rest.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

I believe CPO is based on 4 + 2 years from original in service date. Thank you for the response.
Correct.

"2 Years / Unlimited Miles Warranty coverage after the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty or from the date of sale if the new vehicle limited warranty has expired

The vehicle meets the Porsche preparation standards

The certification vehicle has been inspected in compliance with our 111-point checklist

All work has been performed by Porsche trained technicians

Only Genuine Porsche parts have been used"

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...rscheapproved/
Old 05-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Hitesh Patel
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Car looks good. CPO , then don't worry much . Enjoy ....
Old 05-12-2020, 10:35 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

DId I miss where you actually inspected and test drove the car? Did you take those pics or did the salesman send them to you? If your picky about minor scratches, scuffs, interior stains or smells, make sure you see and drive the car in person. CPO or not, as was mentioned, it will be warranteed but may not be pristine. Athough there isn't much you can do in 3k to a 911, I would think a solid test drive is in order too. Best of luck, you will love it.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:59 PM
slytsi
Track Day

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
DId I miss where you actually inspected and test drove the car? Did you take those pics or did the salesman send them to you? If your picky about minor scratches, scuffs, interior stains or smells, make sure you see and drive the car in person. CPO or not, as was mentioned, it will be warranteed but may not be pristine. Athough there isn't much you can do in 3k to a 911, I would think a solid test drive is in order too. Best of luck, you will love it.
The enclosed pics are my own, and I did test drive it. He sent me the CPO report and it notes some scratches that I did not see. It also notes that there is only 1 key, and the tires are not brand new like he said. He still owes me more of the service history, and DME report and I really want that 2nd key. Thank you for your detailed help and questioning.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

The enclosed pics are my own, and I did test drive it. He sent me the CPO report and it notes some scratches that I did not see. It also notes that there is only 1 key, and the tires are not brand new like he said. He still owes me more of the service history, and DME report and I really want that 2nd key. Thank you for your detailed help and questioning.
Interesting.

I've not ever heard an exact figure for a new key and programming, but I would budget about $400-$500, based on various online discussions over the years. Obviously you want the second key; it will be harder to sell it on down the line, if you don't get this sorted out now.

The tires "should" be ok if not brand new on a 3K mile 911, unless it had multiple successive launches. Hence suggestion to take a tire depth gauge (or even a penny - Lincoln's head is about 1.6mm, the legal limit.)
Old 05-13-2020, 11:48 AM
jeffbrig
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

slytsi, I went a similar route with the 991.2 I purchased a few months ago. My car was an un-titled executive demo for someone who worked at the PCNA office in Atlanta. They had it for 9 months and 6k miles, then my local dealership ended up with the car. The price was VERY attractive for a lightly used 2019, nicely optioned, cosmetically flawless. Red on black C2S cab. My biggest concern was how the car might have been treated/driven as a exec demo vehicle. So I checked the tires. They were hardly worn with 6k miles, which made me wonder if they were originals or replacements. The manufacture date on the tires is before the build date of the car, so I think they are likely the original set and the car was not driven hard. And let's be honest....I fully intend to drive/enjoy the car as it was meant to be driven - no garage queen for me. The dealer performed the car's 10k service early, and I elected not to CPO the car (I've owned 2 out of warranty Porsches for the last several years so that does not scare me).
Old 05-13-2020, 12:21 PM
GRMHNTR
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 26 Posts

Look at the 4 yr maintenance schedule. It should be due for spark plugs change. I overlooked this on my 2017 CPO and it is now costing an additional $850 (stealership) or $550 (indy).

Quick Reply: Getting a 991.2 on Friday