Sponsored by:

Heat Shield recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:22 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heat Shield recall

Took my 991.1 into the local dealership on Friday for a weird smell coming out of the AC vents. It seems it was a refrigerant leak which took them two days to figure out. They were about done with it then the SA called me to say there is a new heat shield recall they have to fix. Does anyone know about this? I did some searches on this forum and didn't come up with much on it. Thanks
Old 05-05-2020, 09:25 PM
Colvin84
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by keithgreer
Took my 991.1 into the local dealership on Friday for a weird smell coming out of the AC vents. It seems it was a refrigerant leak which took them two days to figure out. They were about done with it then the SA called me to say there is a new heat shield recall they have to fix. Does anyone know about this? I did some searches on this forum and didn't come up with much on it. Thanks
A few people posted letters they received direct from Porsche onto Facebook. The letter was advising of the issue and repair - but I have not received one.

here’s one:

Old 05-05-2020, 09:34 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Yawn...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1192...ld-recall.html

DaveGee
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:41 PM
keithgreer
Racer

I saw that, wasn't much help. Thanks for your input "yawn"
Old 05-06-2020, 12:13 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

What year is your car? Mine isn’t listed on the Porsche website, it’s a 2015 c2.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:28 AM
CarreraJimmy
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you see the photos of the burning 911 in the threads linked to my other thread on this topic? Seems like there has been a few instances where a tech has left a rag near the engine which has caused cats to burn in mid drive. I think the new hear shield is just shaped differently to prevent this. It probably applies to everyone; my vin also doesn't come up in the search feature but my SA notified me of it. I think another question is what can we have done in the meantime to save money. It seems like from the photos on the other thread, they pull the read bumper and air box among other things. I think we should at least get a throttle body cleaning and new drive belt for a reduced labor cost since they are already in there. I'd like to hear from others on suggested maintenance items we could get done as well. What are the parts that go bad on the spoilers?
Old 05-06-2020, 10:09 PM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by CarreraJimmy
Did you see the photos of the burning 911 in the threads linked to my other thread on this topic? Seems like there has been a few instances where a tech has left a rag near the engine which has caused cats to burn in mid drive. I think the new hear shield is just shaped differently to prevent this. It probably applies to everyone; my vin also doesn't come up in the search feature but my SA notified me of it. I think another question is what can we have done in the meantime to save money. It seems like from the photos on the other thread, they pull the read bumper and air box among other things. I think we should at least get a throttle body cleaning and new drive belt for a reduced labor cost since they are already in there. I'd like to hear from others on suggested maintenance items we could get done as well. What are the parts that go bad on the spoilers?
If you've ever done it before, pulling the bumper cover & airbox takes like 10 minutes. The first time, I think it took me 30. I was amazed at how straight forward it is.
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:39 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
If you've ever done it before, pulling the bumper cover & airbox takes like 10 minutes. The first time, I think it took me 30. I was amazed at how straight forward it is.
Was thinking that too... I'd rather do the heat shield thing myself instead of taking it to the dealer... Blah
Old 05-06-2020, 11:17 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Was thinking that too... I'd rather do the heat shield thing myself instead of taking it to the dealer... Blah
Likewise. However, if it's an official recall, I'm certain the dealer will be required to do the work.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:30 PM
CarreraJimmy
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
Thanks. Good to know. I live in an apartment with multi-level garage parking and a lease that prohibits mechanic work. I haven't had the opportunity to try anything that I can't do while sitting in the car, or don't want to do in an empty parking lot. I assumed this would be a bigger job so haven't looked into it.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:43 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by CarreraJimmy
Thanks. Good to know. I live in an apartment with multi-level garage parking and a lease that prohibits mechanic work. I haven't had the opportunity to try anything that I can't do while sitting in the car, or don't want to do in an empty parking lot. I assumed this would be a bigger job so haven't looked into it.
Some things are easy on the car. Rear bumper & air box removal is easy. Changing oil and filter, brake jobs, air filters & cabin filters, drive belt, sparks plugs and coils, even bolt-on exhaust work is all very straighforward for the weekend mechanic DIY person. Once you get past that, the difficulty ramps up kind of quickly in my experience, especially if you don't have a lift and are working under jack stands.

Having a PIWIS would help a bunch - there are just some things very hard to do without their computer. Most of the required maintenance stuff is straight forward though. They're well suited for track work, as the consumable stuff is easy to get to.

edit PS: Hey Houston buddy! LSRPCA representing!
Old 05-07-2020, 11:40 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
Likewise. However, if it's an official recall, I'm certain the dealer will be required to do the work.
Ya very true. My car still shows no recall, so I'm hoping I'm a lucky one. Especially with no dealer within 3 hours of me.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Santor7
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Got an email from Hoehn Porsche this morning stating that there is an open service campaign with my 2015 Carrera S. Something about a heat shield and a fuel system module. Going there next week.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:13 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Just got a call from my dealer and the car is going in next week. 2 hour job they said so I will take a loaner.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:12 PM
keithgreer
Racer

The SA told me they didn't have to remove the rear bumper just the cooling fan assembly under the rear mini engine cover area. Seems odd but that is what he told me.

Quick Reply: Heat Shield recall