Sponsored by:

Annoying rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959
We have an e-Golf that has absolutely zero rattles or creaks...maybe because it’s an electric so smoother?
Maybe give it more time? 😁
Originally Posted by jfischet
my 993, with over 150k miles, is like a bank vault when you close the door.
How about when you drive it though? Lol! Just kidding...

I mean... Come on. These cars are driven over rough roads, have multiple moving parts, parts that we constantly open and close (some people more forcefully than others), things we switch on and off, stereo bass that reverberates throughout the cabin (which I think could be a huge cause of many rattles).

I think you'd need to be in Rolls Royce territory in order to truly eliminate some of those pesky rattles that are gonna show up.
​​​​​​
Old 05-07-2020, 03:11 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Maybe give it more time? 😁

How about when you drive it though? Lol! Just kidding...

I mean... Come on. These cars are driven over rough roads, have multiple moving parts, parts that we constantly open and close (some people more forcefully than others), things we switch on and off, stereo bass that reverberates throughout the cabin (which I think could be a huge cause of many rattles).

I think you'd need to be in Rolls Royce territory in order to truly eliminate some of those pesky rattles that are gonna show up.
​​​​​​
i agree that some rattles are inevitable eventually, that being said my audi S3 had 70000km had been in a pretty bad accident and did not have a single rattle. And it was a pretty tight car.

so I’m just slightly disappointed that my brand new 911 that costs 3x the price of that S3 rattles after so little time. It is a stiff car and the roads here are uber crap, still...
Old 05-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Once upon a time, I had an annoying rattle from that area. I finally traced it to the rear mirror switch (the one with the four arrows). If I put my finger on it, the rattle disappeared. Needless to say, it was an easy fix. Hope that helps
What was the fix?
Old 05-07-2020, 04:34 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasjeet Suri
What was the fix?
Didn't you see the pic of the part that I posted? Just replace the window switch module
Old 05-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't you see the pic of the part that I posted? Just replace the window switch module
Fix isn’t the same as replace to me
Old 05-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

most definitely not near the tweeter on the dash and is not a definite answer to the poster’s problem, although we’re all very happy that you found the source of your own rattles

I’m still interested in hearing the fix for the dash rattle near the tweeter as the only way I can shut mine up is by pushing on that corner of the dashboard.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Porschex3
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

I keep an old credit card in my Cayenne and shove it in crevices around panels when I have a rattle. Once it goes away with the card, I usually leave it there until I have time to fix it. Usually adding some felt tape to the area works.
The following users liked this post:
Bry5on (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:28 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

my car rattles like mad inside the headliner ahead of the rear window. like there is a bag of bolts up there just shaking around. its weird, rattles make me crazy but with this car, it doesnt. i reckon its like a really hot wife that has a terribly annoying voice that wont shut up. (Honey in case you are reading this, im not talking about you... you arent that hot.) (Kidding again, my wife is SUPER hot and has the voice of an angel.) God Im bored.
The following 2 users liked this post by SeeForce:
sr5959 (05-08-2020), TennisGuy (05-11-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:55 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeeForce
my car rattles like mad inside the headliner ahead of the rear window. like there is a bag of bolts up there just shaking around. its weird, rattles make me crazy but with this car, it doesnt. i reckon its like a really hot wife that has a terribly annoying voice that wont shut up. (Honey in case you are reading this, im not talking about you... you arent that hot.) (Kidding again, my wife is SUPER hot and has the voice of an angel.) God Im bored.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 05-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Bry5on
most definitely not near the tweeter on the dash and is not a definite answer to the poster’s problem, although we’re all very happy that you found the source of your own rattles

I’m still interested in hearing the fix for the dash rattle near the tweeter as the only way I can shut mine up is by pushing on that corner of the dashboard.
So my car is at the dealer for this exact Issue, I thought it was the gas tank pad situation, but it appears there are nuts behind the dash that get loose causing the rattle. I am scheduled to pick up the car today. I DO NOT have warranty, so the cost is around $360 which included the $240 diag fee. If this actually resolves the issues I am MORE than happy to pay it.

Stay tuned.
The following users liked this post:
rockrdude (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 05:45 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

please keep me posted as i’ll have a lead at least when I bring it in 😊

Originally Posted by Joec500
So my car is at the dealer for this exact Issue, I thought it was the gas tank pad situation, but it appears there are nuts behind the dash that get loose causing the rattle. I am scheduled to pick up the car today. I DO NOT have warranty, so the cost is around $360 which included the $240 diag fee. If this actually resolves the issues I am MORE than happy to pay it.

Stay tuned.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:49 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
Hey are you sure the rattle is in the headliner?

I had a very similar rattle after going over bumps, was sure it was from the interior in the rear somewhere, turned out to be rubber grommets that secure the little fans on top of the engine missing, allowing the fans to rattle around.

If so it’s an easy fix.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:24 AM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Is there truly any car that doesn't develop some rattles at some point in time? Especially a sports car with stiffer suspensions and chassis?
yes, my 2009 bmw 335i shockingly had no rattles after 92k miles. Of course I couldn’t stand the giant wobbling engine in the front after getting my first 911. Also, my ‘85 Carrera 3.2 had nearly no rattles until I installed stiff engine mounts in 2018. That loosened up a few screws.

amusingly, a loaner 2020 Macan had a rattle that appeared to originate in the same part of the roof lining near the button/light cluster as my 2018 991.2.

last time I was at a dealership, I complained about a roof lining rattle near the plastic screw cap in the rear. I’d push against it and the rattle would go away. I suspect they tried something because it’s not reproducing anymore, but claimed they wouldn’t be able to ride with me to observe it until after COVID passes. I feel like something similar happened with my front left speaker at another dealership. Complained about it, they claimed they couldn’t reproduce, but rattle was gone afterward.

Quick Reply: Annoying rattle