Sponsored by:

No electrical Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020 | 06:49 AM
Broken
4th Gear

Default No electrical Power

Good Morning,

I bought a "lightly damaged" 2013 Carrera 4s Convertible, it was a lovely car, and will soon be so again.

It had major front end damage resulting in significant repairs, requiring a stripping of the front end. I have the car back looks good all panels gaps are perfect and am starting to put it back together, however.....

It wont start.
Battery is fully charged reading 12.68v
When you open the door the window drops.
The steering wheel adjusts
The drivers electric seat works (passenger seat not yet in the car- job for today)
The rear engine cover opens (button on the drivers side sill cover)

There is some electrical power but nothing when you turn the key.
windows don't work
lights don't work
roof doesn't work
rear spoiler doesn't lift the the button, i need to raise this to screw in the rear lights.
car wont start.

I did not strip the front of the car, the body shop did but they appear to have done a decent job of putting it back together.

As a guessing man i would say that the ignition is not getting any power.

Before I get an auto electrician round or get Porsche to come and collect the car is there anything obvious that i should check ?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2020 | 08:15 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

12.6 is low. Why not start with a battery before having a Porsche dealer haul it away. Have you put it on a charger to see if you can get any power to the starter. If you eliminate the battery as an issue then you start the hunt for why power is not getting to the ignition.
Old 05-05-2020 | 08:47 AM
polobai
Drifting

My guess is electrical power was cut when the car got into the accident. Check all fuses for anything obvious. If not I am sure there is a reset somewhere as many cars have this feature for safety.
Old 05-05-2020 | 09:28 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Have you already replaced all of the deployed airbags? If I recall, most modern cars will immobilize when the airbags deploy, or at least when the driver airbags deploy..... Give that a thought. If you already replaced the airbags then perhaps there is some other circuit not completing as @polobai stated.

Good Luck and let us know what you do to get it started!
Old 05-05-2020 | 09:33 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Have you scanned the ECU for codes?
Old 05-05-2020 | 12:02 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Silly question, but something to consider - did the body shop do anything with the wiring when fixing the front? I had an older e46 3 series that was involved in an accident, when putting together the front, the bodyshop pinched one of the wires which cut audio out... was a pain to hunt down, but was found and fixed.
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:01 PM
97supratt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by plenum
Have you already replaced all of the deployed airbags? If I recall, most modern cars will immobilize when the airbags deploy, or at least when the driver airbags deploy..... Give that a thought. If you already replaced the airbags then perhaps there is some other circuit not completing as @polobai stated.

Good Luck and let us know what you do to get it started!
This is correct!!

The airbags are an immobilizer plus you might have some wires that are cut. Get the entire wiring diagram for the vehicle. Make sure all the airbags are in tact, make sure you don't have any trouble codes, if you do follow the wiring diagram diagnostics and trade the problem and correct them and go onto the next issue.

GOod luck!
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:45 PM
Broken
4th Gear

Thank you for your replies.

12.68, i would have thought ok, it should have enough power to open the windows ?

I bought the car, stripped the damaged body panels off and the interior ready for paint. It did drive, i drove it out of the garage onto the road to be collected, so in exactly the same condition as it is in now - it did work.

I have two replacement air bags and have had the crash "ecu" - the box that lives underneath and infront of the gear lever "cleared" to show no errors. My OBD11 code reader shows nothing i imagine the Porsche system will show more detail.

My guess is that something has not been reconnected / damaged when putting it back together. I am no expert with a multi meter so ahd better start reading up about it tonight !

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
LargePuppy (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:53 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Good luck and do let us know what you find! One other handy resource I can suggest is the PIWIS website... you can purchase times in blocks of $14 I believe. I was able to grab the manuals for spark plugs on the 991.2 - bet they have wiring diagrams, etc. also.
Originally Posted by Broken

12.68, i would have thought ok, it should have enough power to open the windows ?

I bought the car, stripped the damaged body panels off and the interior ready for paint. It did drive, i drove it out of the garage onto the road to be collected, so in exactly the same condition as it is in now - it did work.

I have two replacement air bags and have had the crash "ecu" - the box that lives underneath and infront of the gear lever "cleared" to show no errors. My OBD11 code reader shows nothing i imagine the Porsche system will show more detail.

My guess is that something has not been reconnected / damaged when putting it back together. I am no expert with a multi meter so ahd better start reading up about it tonight !

Thanks
polobai (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 06:35 PM
Broken
4th Gear

Oooohh a bit more progress.

fitted the instrument binnacle, I now have

binnacle lights up.
interior light comes on when you open the door
front trunk opens using the interior button and the trunk light comes on/ off.
the rear lights flash when you put the hazard lights on (fronts didn’t get fitted this evening).

i think the gear lever has been refitted incorrectly, the car is in neutral - I can push it, but the lever appears to be in park and the binnacle shows park .

I will try to reset the lever into park.

LargePuppy (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020 | 08:15 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default obd11 works with these cars

I have one for my golf R but the 991 is not listed in yheir website. I would adaptions and apps for the 911 like a way to turn the defront on low.

Originally Posted by Broken

Thanks
Obd
Old 05-09-2020 | 04:28 AM
Broken
4th Gear

Two steps toward one step back !!

Sidelights / rearlights / main beam work, dipped doesn’t.

radio works

central locking works, but only if the key is 6 inches from the car. The passenger window now automatically drops when you open the door.

i appear to have a stray connector hanging down under the dash pink/ white circular one- any ideas ?

thanks

Quick Reply: No electrical Power