Sponsored by:

Soul 200 cell cats for 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Soul 200 cell cats for 991.2 GTS

Well, today was the day I installed the Soul 200 cell cats and pulled the ECU to ship to Cobb for tuning.. 246 miles on the engine, well broken in

I can only give you some preliminary observations on the cats, nothing yet on the tune..

We had a bit of a fitment issue with the driver side cat. That one cat would not line up with the exhaust. We pulled, and loosened bolts, dropped the exhaust to install as one unit and it still would not line up. I made a call to Soul and they were just closing up for the day. Customer service was outstanding, they gave me a cell number to call, text and post pics. Ultimately, the shop had to use a power spreader to move (bend) the pipes ever so minimally to connect. Soul really went above and beyond and even offered to compensate me for the extra labor. I didnt accept but, the offer was very generous.

Let me get to the meat of this review. The car was transformed. The shop works mostly on Lamborghini and Ferrari and every one in the shop said "damn, that sounds really good" and I can attest to the fact that the sound is remarkable. Perfect balance between loud and respectable, deep NA sounding with a little bit of the turbo spool in the background. I was going to go with an Akra exhaust primarily for the sound, but the Soul cats in combination with the PSE of the 991.2 to me is the perfect sound. I just love it.

I will follow up with some video and sound clips after the ECU comes back, hopefully by the end of the week. Soul makes a very nice product..
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Going to install 200 cell cats soon as well from Soul
Old 06-20-2018, 12:18 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Well, today was the day I installed the Soul 200 cell cats and pulled the ECU to ship to Cobb for tuning.. 246 miles on the engine, well broken in

I can only give you some preliminary observations on the cats, nothing yet on the tune..

We had a bit of a fitment issue with the driver side cat. That one cat would not line up with the exhaust. We pulled, and loosened bolts, dropped the exhaust to install as one unit and it still would not line up. I made a call to Soul and they were just closing up for the day. Customer service was outstanding, they gave me a cell number to call, text and post pics. Ultimately, the shop had to use a power spreader to move (bend) the pipes ever so minimally to connect. Soul really went above and beyond and even offered to compensate me for the extra labor. I didnt accept but, the offer was very generous.

Let me get to the meat of this review. The car was transformed. The shop works mostly on Lamborghini and Ferrari and every one in the shop said "damn, that sounds really good" and I can attest to the fact that the sound is remarkable. Perfect balance between loud and respectable, deep NA sounding with a little bit of the turbo spool in the background. I was going to go with an Akra exhaust primarily for the sound, but the Soul cats in combination with the PSE of the 991.2 to me is the perfect sound. I just love it.

I will follow up with some video and sound clips after the ECU comes back, hopefully by the end of the week. Soul makes a very nice product..
Good for you! I've been preaching for a while that the best sound and gains come from cat bypass pipes or high flow cats (I've also got headers). The sound and power gain is insane.

To those speculating: LEAVE YOUR PSE MUFFLER ALONE! You don't need to spend $3000-$5000 on a akra slip on or an X pipe. There's very minimal gains in power/sound. It all comes from the cats on these cars.

Please update with your Cobb tune!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:37 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I was told by another well respected Porsche guy that the PSE should remain and to change the cats. Slightly more power with straight pipes, but you will not pass emissions, very loud, CE light and a lot more smell. For the trade off it was a no brainer for me to go with the 200 cell cats and eliminate all of those issues. To gain any power and have this sound was an added bonus. Plus, with the tune, the power will increase further due to the better exhaust flow.

I will agree with you Lava that the PSE should remain and the cats are where the changes need to occur.

Unless you are racing the car and need to eliminate excess muffler weight or are trying to extract the absolute most HP from the car, I would leave the PSE alone.
The cost associated with a new muffler and the minimal HP gains just dont justify the change for me.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:55 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear there are good products that fit decently and avoid cel

on turbos I always liked high flow cats / downpipes as a mod as they both increase power and more importantly throttle response which is one of the biggest downsides of a turbo motor

hopefully there will be some independent dynos on these types of products soon.

im a 991.1 owner but always support good products for our platform
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

LOVE my Soul Sport Cats! Sound is perfect with the PSE.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like an awesome mod. What were you charged for installation?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

The shop has an hourly rate, I think its like $125. I was charged a few hours labor but, I also had the ECU pulled and its going to be re-installed, so my hours were higher than they should be.
It also took them several additional hours because the pipes didnt line up and required a power spreader to make it work, so that added to the time..
Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Installed the Soul 200’s very soon after I received my new GTS which is now pushing 2,000 miles on the odometer. No CEL’s and no problems, other than a slightly tight fit with the drivers side cat. I was able to ultimately get it installed without sending it back for tweaking.

Sound is just awesome. I did the installation myself which was not difficult but a little unwieldy. They really transform the sound of car. I’m undecided on a tune right now but will probably eventually do that too. Soul cats are a great value, especially when you can pick them up on sale as I was fortunate enough to do. As someone said, use your PSE and not an aftermarket exhaust. The PSE and the new cats are a great combination.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:30 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Flick: Interesting for me to hear the same Drivers side Cat was a tight fit for you as well. Ours wasn't a "tight" fit it was an impossible fit. It required power tool (hydraulic spreader) to gently and carefully bend the lowest pipe that connected to the Muffler about 3 mm's. See attached.

What you are unable to see is that the two pipes are essentially "fixed" there is no play so you cannot just wiggle one into the other or force it to line up. It needed to actually get bent.

The fact that a similar thing happened during your install leads me to believe that there is an adjustment that needs to be made to Soul's jig so that the fit on the drivers side is as smooth and easy as it is on the passenger side. The passenger side was a 15 minute breeze, the drivers side took about 3 hours
Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine went on with no issue.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Contacted Soul today. Haha. Gonna make appt. was holding off bc I honestly think the whole oem exhaust sounds great. But I do have the mod bug ever since I got my license and yall arnt helping my cause by holding off lol. They are close to me so Ill be going to them for install.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 AM
vic55
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 142 Posts

Count me in as one who loves these HFC's on my .2 GTS.... my shop didnt have any problems though fortunately.

I agree that the PSE is a good partner with these and any other cans would not make a strong enough change. But I personally want even more sound (loudness) and am stuck either replacing these with catless or pulling the PSE. I am not sure if headers will help here.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

If anyone has headers with this setup I would love to know their thoughts..
Old 06-20-2018, 11:58 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG

Flick: Interesting for me to hear the same Drivers side Cat was a tight fit for you as well. Ours wasn't a "tight" fit it was an impossible fit. It required power tool (hydraulic spreader) to gently and carefully bend the lowest pipe that connected to the Muffler about 3 mm's. See attached.

What you are unable to see is that the two pipes are essentially "fixed" there is no play so you cannot just wiggle one into the other or force it to line up. It needed to actually get bent.

The fact that a similar thing happened during your install leads me to believe that there is an adjustment that needs to be made to Soul's jig so that the fit on the drivers side is as smooth and easy as it is on the passenger side. The passenger side was a 15 minute breeze, the drivers side took about 3 hours
PTS I had about 1/2 that amount of misalignment. Interesting as you said however is 2 cars had ‘similar’ misalignment of the drivers side. But because my misalignment was less than yours it ultimately went together.

Quick Reply: Soul 200 cell cats for 991.2 GTS