Diminution of Value after Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 04:59 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Great job!

When my car was totaled, I avoided having to fight for DV. However, USAA (not surprisingly) came in a bit low for the valuation of the car. I had to fight to get a more reasonable value of the car. Glad you were able to get a more reasonable DV!
Likewise!

When my 991 was in a bad accident State Farm initially decided to repair, so I thought I would have to go through the DV process. I eventually persuaded them to total it (or more likely the bodyshop did) but they lowballed me on the value and only came up to a reasonable amount after lengthy phone negotiations.

So annoying they do this.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:07 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by gravord
In case it's helpful to anyone in the future, I'm posting the resolution to my DV claim that USAA originally valued at $340. I paid $200 for an independent DV appraisal, which indicated that the DV from being rear-ended was about $3,400. I submitted the appraisal to USAA, and their appraiser contacted my appraiser. USAA's appraiser ended up agreeing to valuing the DV at $3,100.

Did you use Dempsey? I have used him a couple times and received roughly 8k in DV vs the couple grand being offered. I had a bmw and embarrassed to say a Lexus that were in a bad accident due to red light runners. I’m lucky to be here!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I really can stand insurance companies in general, but Geico is really bad. I left them a few years ago as they were just raising my rates very high annually for no rhyme or reason. I have Liberty Mutual now and they are not the greatest either. Its a racket.
Since you're in PA - give a try with NJ Manufacturers - #2 in the US according to some survey and #1 in a number of other surveys. I've been with them for 50 years now. The initial price may seem a bit high, but at the end of the year, since they're a real "mutual" insurance company - run for the benefit of the insured - they issue a refund check based on their claims experience in the past year. Some years a few hundred $$, some years more. They used to be exclusive to NJ and to employees of companies who were members of the NJ Business-Industry Council (lobbying group) - but in the past 2 years they've opened up a bit on who they allow - including Pennsylvanians. In the past there has never been a surcharge or rate increase based on accidents - they either insured you or they didn't.

Worth a phone call or web visit. https://www.njm.com/

BTW - they've been issuing the "refund" every year they've been in business - which is 107 right now.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:22 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Since you're in PA - give a try with NJ Manufacturers - #2 in the US according to some survey and #1 in a number of other surveys. I've been with them for 50 years now. The initial price may seem a bit high, but at the end of the year, since they're a real "mutual" insurance company - run for the benefit of the insured - they issue a refund check based on their claims experience in the past year. Some years a few hundred $$, some years more. They used to be exclusive to NJ and to employees of companies who were members of the NJ Business-Industry Council (lobbying group) - but in the past 2 years they've opened up a bit on who they allow - including Pennsylvanians. In the past there has never been a surcharge or rate increase based on accidents - they either insured you or they didn't.

Worth a phone call or web visit. https://www.njm.com/

BTW - they've been issuing the "refund" every year they've been in business - which is 107 right now.
I did not know NJ Manufacturers insure PA residents. That is great! I will give them a ring. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:27 PM
gravord
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 737gdog
Did you use Dempsey? I have used him a couple times and received roughly 8k in DV vs the couple grand being offered. I had a bmw and embarrassed to say a Lexus that were in a bad accident due to red light runners. I’m lucky to be here!
Yes, Dempsey!

Quick Reply: Diminution of Value after Rear Ended