Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Tune Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 03:13 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Wish there was a way to "open up" the factory gauge to read more (say up to 30 PSI). Not that we go that high but its nice to have a taller ceiling. My workaround since my car only goes to 15 psi (carerra T) is to have the accessport mounted and in monitor mode. For the future, I may put a boost gauge where the factory sport chrono clock goes..but I like the clean look without it.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Wish there was a way to "open up" the factory gauge to read more (say up to 30 PSI). Not that we go that high but its nice to have a taller ceiling. My workaround since my car only goes to 15 psi (carerra T) is to have the accessport mounted and in monitor mode. For the future, I may put a boost gauge where the factory sport chrono clock goes..but I like the clean look without it.
I wish there was a software like ESys for Porsche.
Did a lot of neat stuff with Bimmers with it.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 PM
Draff
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looked at the data log in the accessport and found that pre-boost (actual) seems to be the actual reported boost + ATM. So at sea level basically 14.8 or so PSI would have to be subtracted from the total pre-boost to get the real turbo compression. I am learning here so these are assumptions not fact.
In my case, I am at roughly 6500ft when I ran the 3rd gear pull. It shows a resting (actual) pre-boost @800 RPM idle of 11.8 PSI and a maximum (actual) pre-boost of 29.2 @ 4300 RPM wide open throttle. Thus a net of 17.4PSI actual boost - which coincidentally is exactly what my gauge shows.

I know many on here subscribe to the notion that the gauge is limited somehow but other threads are showing boost readings up to 18PSI at least where the GTS is supposed to be from factory. Ergo, I would expect to see at least 18 if that were the limiting factor assuming the S and GTS don't have different gauges. If data log showed more net boost I'd pack it up and agree that its a gauge issue. Not buying it now.

Other theory is that denser air (I ran this pull at 56 deg F) will be limited by the absolute torque maximum not max boost. Which makes a ton of sense. Over boost can blow up motors - but the max PSI values in the data I pulled show a consistent lower PSI than target or max values. I did see a -3.8 degree timing correction but I'm pretty far out of my depth at this point and have no idea what the heirarchy here is and how it would impact max boost. I saw zero torque limitation in the values so not sure on this one either.

All data now pointing to some deficiency in fuel or programming but hey, I'm obviously no ECU programmer. Best shot is for Cobb to diagnose.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

on my GTS I would get boost pressures up to 28 psi ( v1.02) using boost minus 14.7 and the guage never went above 19 psi ( max stock for GTS).
V1.06 doesnt go as high anymore, but still like 23-24 psi.
yeah you have to use the datalogger to see what is happening. send to log to cobb and ask them about it.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:14 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Using the cobb to monitor, which is the correct measurement for boost-Preboost or boost (after throttle)?
Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Using the cobb to monitor, which is the correct measurement for boost-Preboost or boost (after throttle)?
Either Boost 1 (Pre-throttle) or boost filtered will work subtracting the local air pressure (psi)

The following users liked this post:
polobai (04-23-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:10 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

A comparison vs stock on same track

Note lower max torque achieved and lower boost pressures.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:49 PM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Draff
Looked at the data log in the accessport and found that pre-boost (actual) seems to be the actual reported boost + ATM. So at sea level basically 14.8 or so PSI would have to be subtracted from the total pre-boost to get the real turbo compression. I am learning here so these are assumptions not fact.
In my case, I am at roughly 6500ft when I ran the 3rd gear pull. It shows a resting (actual) pre-boost @800 RPM idle of 11.8 PSI and a maximum (actual) pre-boost of 29.2 @ 4300 RPM wide open throttle. Thus a net of 17.4PSI actual boost - which coincidentally is exactly what my gauge shows.

I know many on here subscribe to the notion that the gauge is limited somehow but other threads are showing boost readings up to 18PSI at least where the GTS is supposed to be from factory. Ergo, I would expect to see at least 18 if that were the limiting factor assuming the S and GTS don't have different gauges. If data log showed more net boost I'd pack it up and agree that its a gauge issue. Not buying it now.

Other theory is that denser air (I ran this pull at 56 deg F) will be limited by the absolute torque maximum not max boost. Which makes a ton of sense. Over boost can blow up motors - but the max PSI values in the data I pulled show a consistent lower PSI than target or max values. I did see a -3.8 degree timing correction but I'm pretty far out of my depth at this point and have no idea what the heirarchy here is and how it would impact max boost. I saw zero torque limitation in the values so not sure on this one either.

All data now pointing to some deficiency in fuel or programming but hey, I'm obviously no ECU programmer. Best shot is for Cobb to diagnose.
I don't get the point of asking for thoughts on your problem, then just dismissing everyone who is telling you the same thing...it is limited to the current digital readout of 17 psi per the particular vehicle you are driving and running the Cobb system on. It is what it is...it's limited to 17 psi. If you find otherwise, and can prove everyone else wrong in this (and many other threads), then I think we would all love to hear how you did it and go from there. Otherwise, maybe stop fighting the inevitable, at least when it comes to the car PSI readout.
Carlo_Carrera (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 10:58 PM
Draff
Cruisin'

Well I guess I have this desire to see data and there's some above in my post that conflicts with some of the non data based statements. If you actually read and understood what wrote you might agree that there's a ton conflicting opinions on this and related threads. I spend hours today sifting through them and still no factual evidence that the gauge is limited by model. Base / S / GTS using the same basic hardware somehow individually limited. The point of this is to get to the bottom of it and ask the right questions.

I hope you're right about the PSI gauge but you've brought no facts or data to the discussion but feel it necessary to be combative and critical without offering anything.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:26 PM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Well I guess I have this desire to see data and there's some above in my post that conflicts with some of the non data based statements. If you actually read and understood what wrote you might agree that there's a ton conflicting opinions on this and related threads. I spend hours today sifting through them and still no factual evidence that the gauge is limited by model. Base / S / GTS using the same basic hardware somehow individually limited. The point of this is to get to the bottom of it and ask the right questions.

I hope you're right about the PSI gauge but you've brought no facts or data to the discussion but feel it necessary to be combative and critical without offering anything.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. You are correct, other than about two dozen others saying the same thing, as well as every Porsche tech I've discussed this issue with in the past saying the same thing, I do not have any further "factual evidence" for you to show that the base/s models psi readout maxes at 17 psi per the gauge as currently installed. I was simply pointing out that you have essentially tossed everyone's opinion out the door (after asking for it), and appear to be trying to get an answer that is different that fits within the confines of your needs/wants.

Regardless, if you ever find anything that says the factory gauge will go over 17 psi in the base/s models, please do enlighten us. I would definitely be intrigued by that!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:09 AM
Draff
Cruisin'

Actually that's where youre wrong. I didn't ask for an opinion I asked for facts. And I didn't toss aside the genuine help that was offered, I'm simply offering data in response to an ongoing discussion that didn't land on a definitive conclusion. Damn I don't get why you trolls get so much enjoyment out of creating conflict on forums.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Actually that's where youre wrong. I didn't ask for an opinion I asked for facts. And I didn't toss aside the genuine help that was offered, I'm simply offering data in response to an ongoing discussion that didn't land on a definitive conclusion. Damn I don't get why you trolls get so much enjoyment out of creating conflict on forums.
Okay, easy fella.

If you want, I can see if one or two of the techs can put something in writing and post it up here if that helps with the facts part. I've tried to find literature on it previously, but was unable to. Again, I'll be following along because I would love to hear if someone finds information out there that goes against what everyone has known (or assumed to know) for the past couple of years.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

So funny! Bob Z - just reading through some links that Ksdaoski was kind enough to send and it seems that you always troll the forum and your favorite response is "try search". In case you were wondering my response above was for you.
You are not even a member and you are basically telling us that you are too good to search? And I am a troll? Read some of my posts and you will see how much I contribute to this forum, while you get defensive after a few posts?! The next time you have a question you better search because with that attitude you will be lucky to get an answer otherwise.
Baba Ghanoush (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

From the Cobb maps notes page.
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...rera+Map+Notes

Boost Target:
  • 91 Octane (95 RON Minimum): 18 psi +/- 2psi tapering off to redline
  • 93 Octane (98 RON Minimum): 18 psi +/- 2psi tapering off to redline
Old 04-23-2020, 11:21 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Post a log. Happy to review and let you know if there are any issues.
If there is a boost leak or any major issue, it should be easy to spot.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Tune Issue