Sponsored by:

Question for 991.2 GTS owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020 | 07:39 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Default Question for 991.2 GTS owners

Hey guys,

I have a chalk 992 and I want to get that matte 'Satin' black look for my 911 Carrera S emblem. Do you have any recommendations on how to achieve that effect? I have the regular silver badge and I also just got the OEM "PORSCHE" rear trim in matte black. Unfortunately there's no OEM option for the 911 Carrera S emblem yet from Porsche.

You can see in the picture below that the letters in PORSCHE have a matte black look just like the 991.2 GTS badges. I just received the 911 Carrera S badge in satin black from a company but unfortunately the satin blacks don't match and I really really want the feel of the 991.2 badge.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2020 | 09:36 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Contact Eric at Bumperplugs (eric@bumperplugs.com) and ask him to paint them as he did my rear reflectors, in Satin Black.

By the way, can you do me a favor and post a pic of the entire PORSCHE emblem? Does it look like each letter could be removed from the trim piece?
Old 04-12-2020 | 09:43 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

You can try spraying a matte finish onto the badge that you feel is too shiny. There are many different companies that sell clear matte spray. Amazon sells it too. Cheap and works well
The following users liked this post:
crimewave (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020 | 10:03 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I just took a couple pics for to show you what it looks like but based on your picture it appears to be an excellent match:

Old 04-12-2020 | 10:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Old 04-12-2020 | 11:34 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Contact Eric at Bumperplugs (eric@bumperplugs.com) and ask him to paint them as he did my rear reflectors, in Satin Black.

By the way, can you do me a favor and post a pic of the entire PORSCHE emblem? Does it look like each letter could be removed from the trim piece?
Hey Bob, I actually took your advice a few weeks ago and ordered it through Eric. Unfortunately his satin does not match the same satin as the Porsche OEM rear trim piece that I ordered. No fault of his, his work is amazing but it just doesn't have the same finish that I love on the 991 GTS'.

The rear trim piece is really long, but yes, it looks like each letter can be removed from the trim. It's held on by adhesive. Oddly enough Porsche makes you buy the entire rear trim instead of just the letters.
Old 04-12-2020 | 11:35 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
You can try spraying a matte finish onto the badge that you feel is too shiny. There are many different companies that sell clear matte spray. Amazon sells it too. Cheap and works well
I think a clear matte spray might be the way to go.
Old 04-12-2020 | 11:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crimewave
I think a clear matte spray might be the way to go.
Too bad but yes, he does nice work. You could have him repaint all of the emblems and not just the one that is gloss so that way they would all match; however, a rattle can of satin (matte is the same as flat) but be worth a try!
The following users liked this post:
crimewave (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020 | 11:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I forgot to ask: do you have the part# for the PORSCHE trim piece?
Old 04-13-2020 | 12:16 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Bob, I actually took your advice a few weeks ago and ordered it through Eric. Unfortunately his satin does not match the same satin as the Porsche OEM rear trim piece that I ordered. No fault of his, his work is amazing but it just doesn't have the same finish that I love on the 991 GTS'.

The rear trim piece is really long, but yes, it looks like each letter can be removed from the trim. It's held on by adhesive. Oddly enough Porsche makes you buy the entire rear trim instead of just the letters.
Weird that a company that paints Porsche parts regularly can’t match the satin perfectly.
Old 04-13-2020 | 12:48 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

I forgot to ask: do you have the part# for the PORSCHE trim piece?
Here ya go!

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992LOGO.html
Old 04-13-2020 | 12:51 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Too bad but yes, he does nice work. You could have him repaint all of the emblems and not just the one that is gloss so that way they would all match; however, a rattle can of satin (matte is the same as flat) but be worth a try!
Yeah, I thought about that too... The thing is the way the letters are on the rear Porsche trim is literally exactly what I want. So I don't want to spray that one, especially because I paid $500 for it and also $300 for the 911 Carrera S emblem. Almost 1k for two emblems... Yikes.
Old 04-13-2020 | 12:53 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
Weird that a company that paints Porsche parts regularly can’t match the satin perfectly.
I thought so too, their position is that their satin black is the correct way of doing it and the OEM one that I'm trying to match is just "unfinished black plastic".
Old 04-13-2020 | 09:32 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I thought so too, their position is that their satin black is the correct way of doing it and the OEM one that I'm trying to match is just "unfinished black plastic".
If you can please post a picture of what Eric painted for you next to the other one for a comparison. And I asked about removing the PORSCHE letters since if you can just those could be painted along with your other one for a perfect match. I would really like to see you complete this project the way you envision since I have done a lot of customizing and I feel the same way as you in regards to matching finishes, etc. Don't take this the wrong way but if it were me I would find a way to make it happen one way of the other and not settle for anything but perfecttion!
Old 04-13-2020 | 01:23 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

If you can please post a picture of what Eric painted for you next to the other one for a comparison. And I asked about removing the PORSCHE letters since if you can just those could be painted along with your other one for a perfect match. I would really like to see you complete this project the way you envision since I have done a lot of customizing and I feel the same way as you in regards to matching finishes, etc. Don't take this the wrong way but if it were me I would find a way to make it happen one way of the other and not settle for anything but perfecttion!
No worries at all man! Actually if you go to the top of this thread you can see the difference in finishes, I posted a picture of the two side-by-side. The letters in the Porsche rear trim have this frosty matte texture and you can very clearly see the difference between the Porsche letters and the "911 Carrera S" letters that Bumper Plugs did! And yep- I'm right there with you, I won't stop til I can get them both in the same matte black

Quick Reply: Question for 991.2 GTS owners