Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you take your 991 to the car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020 | 12:37 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Ivory and other simple soaps are the most delicate cleansers out here. The "dish soaps" you thinking of are detergents which contain phosphates and other degreasers. They are what you what you want to avoid.
Thanks for that info. Was always told to avoid dish soap on a car

Will still avoid it, but have learned something. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2020 | 12:37 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnandN
All the time. My 2018 C4S is my only car and I drive it all year round in NH. The car gets filthy with salt and sand. It is not practical to wash it myself five months of the year. I take it to a touch-less car wash once a week. Once I made the mistake of driving through car wash with brushes and it bent my rear wiper mechanism. It now has a bit of play but works fine. Obviously I can’t drive in deep snow and am forced to borrow my wife’s Volvo. This year was the third winter season. The paint has held up well and I have XPEL on the front half of the car.
But reading all the responses here, I guess I will not be able to sell my car here even if I want to.
I only use the car wash in the winter here in NH. I drive in the winter when roads are clear. Ceramic coating and full front PPF help as does the Pirelli winter wheel set. Life is too short to put the car away for 6 months per year.
Old 04-12-2020 | 12:41 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
Well, it looks like I'll be going back to regular washing in my own driveway then! Thanks for that. I just have to be cautious with this stuff, I have a neighbour across the street that calls bylaw for anything. I had attempted to have our entire street plowed out a few weeks ago as the way our cul-de-sac is situated, the ice takes forever to melt, and when it eventually does, it floods my neighbours front yard and driveway (and, my 911 would have to drive through a mini lake). So, every year, I have a guy come in and clear it with a bobcat. All 9 houses in our cul-de-sac really appreciate it.

This year, my snow clearing guy was not even half done when two peace officers showed up (reported by the neighbour across the street). They told him to finish the portion he started (since there were thick ice chunks strewn everywhere). They had no issue with him clearing the ice, but it was the fact that it's an uninsured vehicle on the road. No flexibility in this town. Surprised they didn't write me three tickets for front window tint while they were here, lol.
https://www.chestermere.ca/DocumentC...r-Bylaw?bidId=

Take a look at your by-laws before doing anything rash, that neighbor sounds pleasant
Old 04-12-2020 | 12:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Thanks for that info. Was always told to avoid dish soap on a car

Will still avoid it, but have learned something. Thanks.
Not to beat a dead horse but take a look at the ingredients of this car wash product.

https://www.meguiars.com/ingredients/1657

Then look at Ivory liquid, same stuff.

https://homesteady.com/12538336/what...shwashing-soap
Old 04-12-2020 | 12:55 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
https://www.chestermere.ca/DocumentC...r-Bylaw?bidId=

Take a look at your by-laws before doing anything rash, that neighbor sounds pleasant
Thanks for the link, I'll have to read through it for sure. I ended up just shooting an email off to bylaw enforcement to see what they have to say!

edit - jeez, I guess our astronomically high property tax dollars in Chestermere result in good service. They already responded!

Good morning,

Chestermere does not have a bylaw against washing your car in your driveway.

Respectfully,

Chestermere Municipal Enforcement

City of Chestermere

162 East Chestermere Drive, Chestermere, AB
The following 2 users liked this post by koala:
rockrdude (04-12-2020), thesaintusa (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020 | 01:08 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Around here, you pretty much have to take your car to a car wash. The water is hard, with lots of calcium in it. It will destroy paint.
Old 04-12-2020 | 01:09 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link, I'll have to read through it for sure. I ended up just shooting an email off to bylaw enforcement to see what they have to say!

edit - jeez, I guess our astronomically high property tax dollars in Chestermere result in good service. They already responded!

Good morning,

Respectfully,

City of Chestermere

That should put a smile on your face

Enjoy your car washing!

No need to move up to Edmonton. haha
Old 04-12-2020 | 02:23 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Good morning,

Respectfully,

City of Chestermere

Amazing! A response from a government agency on a Sunday - Easter Sunday at that - is unheard of. Your tax dollars at work - wow!
Old 04-12-2020 | 03:25 PM
Pipes
Rennlist Member

Same for anywhere in Rocky View County (I’m in Bearspaw), no restrictions. Just a City of Calgary bylaw.
Old 04-12-2020 | 07:12 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
Amazing! A response from a government agency on a Sunday - Easter Sunday at that - is unheard of. Your tax dollars at work - wow!
well first you have to buy it.
Old 04-12-2020 | 07:27 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I only use the car wash in the winter here in NH. I drive in the winter when roads are clear. Ceramic coating and full front PPF help as does the Pirelli winter wheel set. Life is too short to put the car away for 6 months per year.
Yeah I am surprised that a large majority of 911 owners who responded don't think it is is wise to take the car through a car wash. The XPEL film seems very robust after almost 3 years. I have the glass sunroof and I haven't noticed any leaks in the car wash. I do notice that some water leaks into the rubber molding at the periphery of the frunk. Other than that, no issues with car washes.
The following 2 users liked this post by subwoofer:
shammerman (04-12-2020), T3X4S (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020 | 06:37 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

I take my wife’s 10 year old MB and my 5 year old MB SUV to a car wash, but Never the 911. I’m still capable of washing my car. I do have a heated garage with hot water.

Quick Reply: Do you take your 991 to the car wash?