Lease car yes, my car NO.
Old 04-11-2020 | 08:18 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Yes but sandblast first.
Old 04-11-2020 | 08:33 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Yes, have on all 4 911s. We have a 7 year old Cayenne - been through hundreds of car washes - still looks great. Porsche does nice paint. The single stage paint on the corvette wouldn’t hold up.
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 09:03 AM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

I take mine to a local hand car wash. They do a great job. He does plenty of luxury and exotic cars with consistently great reviews. Depending on when you go the wait can be over an hour. I did however just get a pressure washer so will start doing my own washes again as well.
Old 04-11-2020 | 09:16 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Nope. Honestly the car wash I use for daily drivers is pretty awesome and caters to high end cars. On any given Sunday there is a handful of exotics there along with every other type of car you can imagine.

I am just not sure I trust them to wash the 911 through their normal line.

I trust them with the car for paint correction, detailing, PPF. But that is a different team if guys.
Old 04-11-2020 | 09:22 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Another no. I also specifically tell the dealership not to wash it when they have it for service.
The only person who is going to scratch my car is me. Don’t even let the dealer wash it.
Old 04-11-2020 | 09:22 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

My car has 3/4 PPF and ceramic coat. I occasionally take it through the touchless car wash. Never through a wash with rails and brushes.
Old 04-11-2020 | 09:28 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Not all car washes are created equal. I've been a member of one close to me for years, and taken both of my Macans and my M4 when I had it through on a regular basis, never had an issue. My first Macan was black and of course it wasn't completely free of swirls but it looked amazingly good even under scrutiny.

My wife made the mistake of taking the same black Macan through an automated wash during a trip and when she came back there was very obvious scrapes and swirls on the driver's side where clearly one of the brushes was filthy or broken. I was so pissed.

Anyway, so your mileage may vary with automated washes.

That said, I won't take my Boxster through it; hand wash only. Just something about the convertible I can't get past, even though I've been assured it's fine (and I've seen folks with 911 cabs go through this same wash). I just won't do it, mental block apparently; but also, I don't drive that car in the winter months either.
Old 04-11-2020 | 10:44 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

It's really about how much you value the overall look of your car with no disrespect meant to those that use a car wash even the so called best or touch less.

If having a mostly swirl free finish is your goal then a 2 bucket hand wash and forced air dry is your best option. Also if it swirls slightly it was done by your hand or the elements and that I can deal with.

If this doesn't matter and I respect those that say it's just a car then wash it wherever you want. It's more about the drive and less about the looks.

For me I really enjoy taking the time each or every other weekend to hand detail my car. Other than work and some regular tennis I spend most of my time with my better half as she is the best person I know and very supportive of my car mania. I grew up a relatively poor son of immigrants so what I've earned and accumulated holds great value to me and I try to keep it looking great, car, home, etc...

But I also realize it's really about what matters to you. Want to hand wash and detail your own as I do, go for it, want to run it through a Speedy Wash, go for it. It's your car so it's your choice.
Rich_Jenkins (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 11:01 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Nothing beats spending an hour or two lovingly caressing that beautiful body with thick, soapy suds... My paint was pretty swirly when I got the car in January. My buddy is a detailer and did a full paint correction, getting rid of all the swirls and marks. Now I'm happily committed to keeping it that way. It's tree pollen season here now. Even being garage kept, it doesn't take long for it to get a nice thin coat of yellow dust.

Old 04-11-2020 | 11:37 AM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rporzio
Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the candid thoughts. I'll be washing/detailing it at home. I have had the paint corrected about 1.5 years ago and have full PPF on the front, mirrors and the beginning of the roof and the finish is beautiful so don't want to change that... R.

Hand wash car most of the time in the driveway and detail although have gone to car washes in the past when the car is very dirty but I always hand wash it myself at the car wash or pay professional to come to the house to detail wash

it’s getting harder to wash the car now as I’m getting older but trying to have my son to help me
Old 04-11-2020 | 01:42 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTOWN83
Hell yes. It's a car and it goes through the car wash. Good grief. Vintage Car Wash, Modesto, CA USA.
LOL, same here. Daily driver in NY. It's not a Faberge egg.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Ox:
good2go (04-11-2020), shammerman (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 02:10 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

We have well water, which requires a water softener to prevent spots. Kind of a pain, but I manage wash the car by hand as needed, maybe once per month, as it is a weekend toy and rarely even gets rained on. I do cheat once or rwice per year in the colder weather and bring to the local hand wash shop. The Macan goes to the hand wash shop as needed, the Jeep gets a $6.99 special at the local drivethrough. I love to wash it myself, very relaxing, and cleaning the wheels is the most time consuming activity.
Old 04-11-2020 | 02:18 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by The Ox
LOL, same here. Daily driver in NY. It's not a Faberge egg.
Any car that's daily driven in the 5 boroughs is by definition a beater!! (Been there, done that...)
The Ox (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 05:37 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

It's against the law here in Alberta to wash your car with soap in your own driveway so I only do it sparingly and usually in the garage with the door closed... Car pro reload when I want to get the water beading back.

With ceramic coating a wand wash works great anyway- don't even need to use soap, usually, just a rinse.

Quick Reply: Do you take your 991 to the car wash?