Sponsored by:

Our 991.1 C2S cab vs 991.2 C2S coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 02:05 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Our 991.1 C2S cab vs 991.2 C2S coupe

My wife and I have a lovely 991.1 C2S cab in Mexico Blue (fully loaded, lux build with full leather, Burmester audio, PDK) that gets compliments and stares everywhere we go. A local 991.2 C2S popped up the local Carmax, and although we aren't really in the market, we figured "what the heck? There isn't anyone on the roads right now, so why not go drive?" The 991.2 C2S is PDK with non-sport suspension nor RWS. It has PSE. For comparison's sake, we have owned several 991.1 models, a 991.2, a 991 GT3, 981 GT4, and currently have a tuned, track-prepped 2014 Cayman S with carbon buckets that can run circles around any stock Porsche.

Comparisons:
Engine: obviously, the .2 is a lot faster than the .1, with a torque rush that comes on in a hurry. It feels substantially quicker, but almost too quick. Flooring it on a on-ramp and I was doing almost 100 in no time. With the PSE, it had a fairly rich tone. The .1 has a more linear feel and builds power more slowly: our cab probably weighs 3400 lbs, which is heavy by .1 standards. Still, it never feels slow, but more "just right" for daily driving. I also felt that our 2014 GT3 had too much power for daily driving usability, whereas our 2014 Cayman S modded (making 370 hp) is also in that sweet spot. Sound-wise, our cab has Fister mufflers but no PSE, whereas the .2 had PSE. The PSE popped a bit more, but otherwise, the sounds weren't too different. I wasn't disappointed by the .2 sound at all. Our cab has more potential though: eliminating the rear muffler will open it up significantly, as will a real catback exhaust. At the track, I would appreciate more power, but on the road, I would prefer not to have it. I like building power through the rev ranges, and was happy to hear that the new 718 GTS/GT4 would have a NA engine. We have owned a .2 C2S with RWS and loved the car, but loved the .1 for different reasons.

Handling: the steering wheel is better on the .2: smaller and more ergonomic. In turns, the car feels lighter (as it should) but also a bit more crisp. Porsche did their homework when designing the .2's suspension; it feels very crisp and about as responsive as the .1 Sport PASM, but with a smoother ride. Of course, suspension can be upgraded, but stock for stock, the .2 wins easily here. The cab weighs a bit more and will still put most cars to shame, but at the limits, the .2 and the coupe combo is going to have the edge. Add RWS and things get even better. If I were getting a .2, RWS is a must; I might as go all the way and improve handling to the max. Otherwise, the differences between the .2 and .1 aren't that great. Handling was limited to intersections and u-turns; we optimistically headed to a local community college with the assumption that the lot would be empty due to classes moving online. It was completely empty, with the exception of 2 bored campus cops parked at the far side of parking lot. So much for that idea.

Visuals: very close. I like the .2's rear diffuser and center pipes. Other than that, they both look great. I will take mexico blue with our classic side stripes any day over a 991.2 coupe; even the salesperson commented how much better our car looked. Most people don't have a Mexico Blue option, however. This isn't like a 997.1 vs 997.2, where one car looks very dated compared to the other: the layperson couldn't tell a 991 .1 apart from a .2.

Value: this one is tough. Our cab has 2x the miles and is 4 years older, yet is probably worth low 70's (admittedly due to a bit of PTS value, but much due to the desirability of the .1). This 991.2 was priced at $79,900 with half of the miles. Obviously, the .2 is not in demand the way the .1 is. One could argue that the .2 is the better car (by all objective measures, it is), but from a driving experience, many such as myself prefer the NA engine, and it has a great blend of classic and modern characteristics. We are seeing this already in the .2 GTS market; a .2 GTS went on BAT for $88k plus fees recently, and selling prices at dealers will be below $100k shortly, if they aren't already. .1 GTS prices are only $10k cheaper; the supply/demand for the .1 is different than the .2.

If I were shopping for any of these, I would probably target a manual .1 GTS coupe. It is likely to hold its value strongly, is a great performing car in all aspects, looks amazing (widebody, ideally with sport ducktail), is available with the options I would want, and is a very high performer. This is assuming I need 4 seats, of course. If not a .1, then a .2 GTS for the same reasons: widebody, classic lines, all sport options. Otherwise, I would take a 718 GT4 (or 981 GT4, which is also an incredible machine) or something like our Cayman. I know a lot of people also shop the T 991.2 model for these reasons; given an $85-90k budget, the .1 GTS gets my vote for the reasons above (unless you want RWS, then you have to shop a .2); the T is depreciating at a faster rate and the GTS is more of a looker (plus, I love the 3.8L). This assumes I am shopping for a coupe however.

I hope this helps to anyone who is cross shopping.
The following 2 users liked this post by raidersfan:
CAA (04-01-2020), sr5959 (03-31-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:33 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Comparing a cab to a coupe is personal . My wife and I love the cab , it’s not a daily driver but we do drive it every week, would not switch to a coupe have had both , just love the convertible.
deciding between .1 or .2 I would not buy a .2 when I up grade , it will be with 2020 model .
I think the .2 value is dropping because it kind of a 1/2 upgrade , almost as if Porsche just threw something together while redesigning the 911 .
jmho

Quick Reply: Our 991.1 C2S cab vs 991.2 C2S coupe