Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot break the rims loose from the drums!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 01:44 PM
JustSlummin47
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cannot break the rims loose from the drums!

I am starting to believe that the wheels have never been off my "50" in the two years that I have owned it or the four years previous, where it only collected 2K miles. Ten thousand plus miles now.
Since I am of the age and reduced physical health, my family has restricted my interaction with the world, so I ordered all of the "stuff' and was preparing to do the whole nine yards, one rim art a time.
Of course, it seems that the rims are welded to the "hat". I am up to spraying with WD 40. Any other Ideas besides a sledge?
If I get it to the dealer after the plague, will they do as much damage as I am apt to do, or is there a tried and true method or specific tool (wedge)?
Any help will be appreciated today.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Use the sledge but put wood block between it and the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
knb1 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Use the sledge but put wood block between it and the wheel.
No need to do this, loosen your studs and back them out about 3-4 turns. Lower the car back on the wheel, do it slowly and if that doesnt work try to drop it a bit faster. As a last resort, you can start the car once lowered and back it on and off the drive way and applying the brakes should do that job.

Last edited by 911.; 03-27-2020 at 03:50 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 911.:
F355bob (03-27-2020), knb1 (03-27-2020), Omega4 (03-27-2020), Rich_Jenkins (03-28-2020), vodkag (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:59 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

As George said: try a rubber mallet first if you have one, if not the BFH with a block of wood.
knb1 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:59 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JustSlummin47
I am starting to believe that the wheels have never been off my "50" in the two years that I have owned it or the four years previous, where it only collected 2K miles. Ten thousand plus miles now.
Since I am of the age and reduced physical health, my family has restricted my interaction with the world, so I ordered all of the "stuff' and was preparing to do the whole nine yards, one rim art a time.
Of course, it seems that the rims are welded to the "hat". I am up to spraying with WD 40. Any other Ideas besides a sledge?
If I get it to the dealer after the plague, will they do as much damage as I am apt to do, or is there a tried and true method or specific tool (wedge)?
Any help will be appreciated today.

Thanks!
wd-40 or PB blaster where the wheel meets the hub. Let it soak for 15 minutes then come back to it.

Two choices:

1. hit the tire all around the edge with a rubber mallet pretty hard to break the bond.

2. Face the wheel, turn around, use your heel to kick backwards into the edge of the tire on one side then the other. Kick as hard as you feel comfortable and make sure you have no rocks on the bottom of your shoe .

I’ve had to do this many times on many cars. Not a huge deal. But the first time I had to do it the wheel was really stuck and it worried me how hard I had to kick to loosen it up. And I’m a middle aged guy in good shape.

when you are done feel free to scrub the wheel hub with some 0000 steel wool or a nylon brush and apply some light grease, anti seize, or even just a bit of motor oil to prevent this from happening again.
knb1 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 02:17 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Once u get them off, coat the mating surfaces with anti seize
The following 2 users liked this post by Homeles:
Class5Kayaker (04-13-2020), Omega4 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 02:32 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Kicking has always worked for me. Kick very hard!
knb1 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 02:36 PM
JustSlummin47
Advanced

WOW! It looks like I am not the only one home in the middle of the day!
NY is a tough town right about now. I thought that we would be safe way out on the Island, but no.....next town over got hit pretty bad, so I am in for the duration.
Put the last pieces of leather in yesterday. Doesn't everyone need the overhead button and light cover thingamajig done up in Agate????...and the seat belt retractor covers?
Hey, look...If I'm gonna be buried in the car next month, I want it to look great!
On a more serious note. I did put the whole works back together, as I did not expect to hear from folks so soon.
It's nice enough outside now to wash the "Crock" for my partner in crime and get back to the "Gretchen" on Monday, after the rain.
That should give the WD a chance to work before I "loosen the studs" and dare to lower the jack.
I'll let you know
TonyD
Old 03-27-2020, 03:12 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
As George said: try a rubber mallet first if you have one, if not the BFH with a block of wood.

^^ This is how I do it. Works every time.
knb1 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JustSlummin47
WOW! It looks like I am not the only one home in the middle of the day!
NY is a tough town right about now. I thought that we would be safe way out on the Island, but no.....next town over got hit pretty bad, so I am in for the duration.
Put the last pieces of leather in yesterday. Doesn't everyone need the overhead button and light cover thingamajig done up in Agate????...and the seat belt retractor covers?
Hey, look...If I'm gonna be buried in the car next month, I want it to look great!
On a more serious note. I did put the whole works back together, as I did not expect to hear from folks so soon.
It's nice enough outside now to wash the "Crock" for my partner in crime and get back to the "Gretchen" on Monday, after the rain.
That should give the WD a chance to work before I "loosen the studs" and dare to lower the jack.
I'll let you know
TonyD
Its like a bomb went off in NY right now. Crazy!! I have lots of friends there that are directly seeing or are impacted by this covid stuff. Stay safe and let us know of the outcome.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

I kick the tire hard. If it helps whistle the "Karate kid" theme. Found copious surface rust on both sides, cleaned it up with fine sandpaper and applied a thin coat of antiseize... Also noticed the bolts are rusting a bit.... I replaced those with longer ones for spacers anyway...

If you are worried about the tire falling off awkwardly, jam a garage/bath towel between the tire and fender, the kicked tire won't move much... I miss driving that car !!!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:15 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I kick the tire hard. If it helps whistle the "Karate kid" theme. Found copious surface rust on both sides, cleaned it up with fine sandpaper and applied a thin coat of antiseize... Also noticed the bolts are rusting a bit.... I replaced those with longer ones for spacers anyway...

If you are worried about the tire falling off awkwardly, jam a garage/bath towel between the tire and fender, the kicked tire won't move much... I miss driving that car !!!
I am bothered that you know the theme to the Karate Kid. Was there a theme song? Now I have to check. Argghhhh

I generally use the kicking technique, but do you prefer the Crane Kick? or a round house?

If that doesn't work I just loosen the lug nuts a 1/2 turn and 1) lower the car off the jack, and if that doesn't work I will 2) move the car back and forth about a 1 car length and that has been sufficient to allow the tire to come off the hub.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 PM
JustSlummin47
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911.
Its like a bomb went off in NY right now. Crazy!! I have lots of friends there that are directly seeing or are impacted by this covid stuff. Stay safe and let us know of the outcome.

Gov. just shut it down. Finally!!!
It should have been done three weeks ago with the police and Guard out on the streets getting people into their houses or shelters or wherever.
We should have taken some hints from the country which shall remain nameless and locked the place (the U..S.) down. But no, it's always the hunt for "Personal Freedoms" and the Almighty Dollar......
This rant is from a small business owner of Thirty Five years (+/- thirty-five employees). It will hurt us and them badly. We may not recover at the end of this, however, for the good of the Nation, it's time for everyone to close their doors and stay inside. ESPECIALLY N.Y Metro., Cali, N. Orleans and you better watch out, Texas and Fla!
Anyway, the Crock is clean and the rims, "S" style twenty inch-ers, are sparkling after being driven through the winter a few days a week with no "love".. Thank you Turtle Wax "Color Cure/Black", of all things.
Stay safe. Sorry we won't be seeing you in Colorado Springs.
JS-47
Omega4 (03-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Cannot break the rims loose from the drums!