Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushing Fluid From ABS Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021 | 04:13 PM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Opening a somewhat old thread.

I can see the need for actuating the ABS pump when you replace the brake lines or calipers. Air is in the system.

But, if you are bleeding from caliper and fluid is emptying from master reservoir and you don't introduce air, isn't fresh fluid flowing through the ABS pump?

If you never slam on the brakes and activate ABS, is that old fluid (filled from factory) just sitting in the pump waiting to be used?????
Old 07-30-2021 | 09:55 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Opening a somewhat old thread.
Me too.

I just installed AP Racing front calipers and Stiegler brake lines. I’m switching from Motul 660 to Endless and had an old 500ml bottle of Motul that I used to flush only the front lines using a Motive style pressure bleeder. I suspect that there’s still air in the system as the pedal was a bit spongey (not to mention I just came from 3 track days…).

I have an iCarsoft POR V3.0 which has an ABS Bleed option. How do we use such an option, be it in PIWIS or other tool? I understand that the ABS will kick in when you press on the brake pedal, but do we do that before the bleed? During the bleed of one of the calipers?

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 07-31-2021 | 12:37 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BOPE
Thanks for the note on Durametric's ABS flush capabilities. I contacted Autel Sales and Chris Moore with Autel regarding the capabilities of their tool, but unfortunately have not heard squat.

Jason
Chris Moore never got back to you?
Old 10-09-2021 | 09:23 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

So did we ever find out which Autel Tools have ABS Bleed capabilities and are compatible with the 991.1/.2 platform?

Old 10-10-2021 | 11:18 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
So did we ever find out which Autel Tools have ABS Bleed capabilities and are compatible with the 991.1/.2 platform?

Customer service from Autel and iCarsoft is quite horrible. Doesn’t not make you feel good about buying anything but the most basic device.
Old 10-10-2021 | 12:03 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
Customer service from Autel and iCarsoft is quite horrible. Doesn’t not make you feel good about buying anything but the most basic device.
Yes, I agree..... they do not seem responsive to answering product question prior to of after the sale.

I have an Autel Diaglink ($95 on Amazon) which works great for resetting the Oil Service, Air Bag & adjusting the Electric Parking Brake shoes (works on a 981 and 991.2). I would recommend this unit if that's all you need to do, yet Autel's Marketing literature on their products is poor at best. Very confusing on the functionality of their different tools. Products are good - Marketing Sucks!
Old 10-10-2021 | 04:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
Customer service from Autel and iCarsoft is quite horrible.
Same for Durametric.
Old 10-11-2021 | 09:42 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Same for Durametric.
I have called Durametric twice in the past year and a tech (yes, a live person) answered the phone both times. They answered my questions immediately. Not arguing…..just reporting my recent experience.
Old 10-11-2021 | 11:04 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I have called Durametric twice in the past year and a tech (yes, a live person) answered the phone both times. They answered my questions immediately. Not arguing…..just reporting my recent experience.
Maybe the key is calling on the phone, versus email.........
Old 10-11-2021 | 11:22 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Just curious, what kind of questions did they answer? How to download the software, connect or set up the Durametric, because that is easy.

I called them about a code I got in the Instrument Cluster: 41510 / a226 and they could not tell me. We provide the tool and codes it is for you to figure them out...kind of useless in my books. What kind of OBD code is that because as far as I know, it is not part of the standard OBD P, C, U, B codes that anyone would be familiar with. Why doesn't Durametric provide a list of Porsche specific codes that aren't part of the accepted OBD list.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-11-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2021 | 12:29 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Just curious, what kind of questions did they answer? How to download the software, connect or set up the Durametric, because that is easy.

I called them about a code I got in the Instrument Cluster: 41510 / a226 and they could not tell me. We provide the tool and codes it is for you to figure them out...kind of useless in my books. What kind of OBD code is that because as far as I know, it is not part of the standard OBD P, C, U, B codes that anyone would be familiar with. Why doesn't Durametric provide a list of Porsche specific codes that aren't part of the accepted OBD list.
Called about trading my Enthusiast model in on a Professional model. But my point was that a live person did answer the phone both times.

That is a code for an instrument cluster warning light. Not sure but I think a226 or a221 might be the oil overfill warning. Hope you locate an answer. Best wishes.

Last edited by Fullyield; 10-11-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2021 | 01:15 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Called about trading my Enthusiast model in on a Professional model. But my point was that a live person did answer the phone both times.
I did the same thing and sold my Enthusiast model to a local owner for 2/3 (since 1 VIN was used) of the price which at the time got me what I paid for it due to the exchange. The Professional model is great in that if you are looking for a used Porsche, you can check them all out for over-revs, etc.

That is a code for an instrument cluster warning light. Not sure but I think a226 or a221 might be the oil overfill warning. Hope you locate an answer. Best wishes.
I take it that is just a guess or do you have a source? It was overfilled once back in 2018 since these damn things do not have a dipstick , but it was drained immediately. Besides, once the codes are deleted, that one kept coming back. I only see it when getting the Durametric out to do an oil or maintenance reset. No signs at all on my dash indicating a code of any type.
Old 10-11-2021 | 02:20 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

I did the same thing and sold my Enthusiast model to a local owner for 2/3 (since 1 VIN was used) of the price which at the time got me what I paid for it due to the exchange. The Professional model is great in that if you are looking for a used Porsche, you can check them all out for over-revs, etc.

I take it that is just a guess or do you have a source? It was overfilled once back in 2018 since these damn things do not have a dipstick , but it was drained immediately. Besides, once the codes are deleted, that one kept coming back. I only see it when getting the Durametric out to do an oil or maintenance reset. No signs at all on my dash indicating a code of any type.
Durametric will give full credit for your original purchase price if you want to trade up from Enthusiast to Professional model. Another RL member on here mentioned it so I called them and confirmed. This is a great community! My Enthusuiast model had no VINs left on it before trade in.

Source is Porsche. I was looking at buying a CPO vehicle from dealer. Same code popped up during inspection so balked and asked Porsche Service Manager for explanation. His response was that it was a stored code indicating instrument cluster warning light was activated for oil overfill. I have since seen it on other Porsches since then.

Last edited by Fullyield; 10-11-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2021 | 02:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Source is Porsche. I was looking at buying a CPO vehicle from dealer. Same code popped up during inspection so balked and asked Porsche Service Manager for explanation. His response was that it was a stored code indicating instrument cluster warning light was activated for oil overfill. I have since seen it on other Porsches since then.
I am about to do an oil and filter change within the next month. There are 4 bars between the MIN and MAX lines. This time, I'll fill it to the 3rd bar and run the Durametric by clearing and running a scan to see what happens. I usually fill it to the 4th bar on the display for an all-Green MAX indication.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Flushing Fluid From ABS Circuit