Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY18 - 991.2 GTS - PDK all over the place at start up/low speed (kind of...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021 | 11:14 AM
Frank996

Default MY18 - 991.2 GTS - PDK all over the place at start up/low speed (kind of...)

I did a search on PDK Unresponsive (w/o knowing any better wording to use) but didn't get any hits...

Lately, I have noticed that the gear shift is not very smooth when driving off after a cold start, almost like a driver not quite being used to the clutch in a new car. The revs seems to go up (and then down) and it's almost like jumping back and forth and this keeps going on for a good while. This happens maybe 1 to 3 out of 10 start ups and only very sporadic.

Not sure if this is anything to "worry" about as I think I had something similar in my old (now sold) 997.2 and was more of an annoyance than anything else - I have warranty until Jun 2022 and service coming up now towards the end of October.

Anyone with similar experiences(s) and what was done 8-if any)? I don't push the car to it's limits and tbh, haven't driven much this year so mainly 5-10 min drives once every 2 weeks or so...
Old 10-11-2021 | 11:41 AM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

It being sporadic could be due to the ambient temperature - it would be more likely for this to occur in colder temps.

Have you ever changed the PDK fluid? Since you’re under warranty, they’ll take care of it - but it sounds like the trans either needs a fluid flush and/or a PDK relearn.
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021 | 02:32 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My '17 is clumsy when cold, and clutch wear calibration helped but didn't resolve it. That said my situation was fairly unique -- I had a new PDK put in, and as far as I could tell, the clutch wear was not recalibrated when they did that. Note, this procedure is not a "PDK Relearn" or "PDK Reset" where you turn on the ignition for 30 seconds without starting the engine, then turn it off. The clutch wear recalibration is specifically a PIWIS-or-similar adaptation procedure that takes some ten minutes to do on a level surface at specific fluid temperature ranges.

A year later it still does it, and as temps are dropping it's getting worse again, but as mentioned in the thread what I've learned is that it shifts a LOT smoother if I simply give it more throttle. Nothing into boost, nothing over 3k RPM, nothing damaging to the car in any way... just accelerating as if I'm on a city street instead of like being in a busy parking lot.
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (10-11-2021)

Quick Reply: MY18 - 991.2 GTS - PDK all over the place at start up/low speed (kind of...)