Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How magical are glass repair shops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 10:53 AM
Fred Wallis
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How magical are glass repair shops?

I have a few foot long hairline scratches in the windshield. Prob described as if you took a razor to the windshield, it is that minute but also just slightly dug in. I can just barely catch my nail in them. For something like this are good glass shops likely able to fix them perfectly (ex. not notice them at all), or more likely need to replace an entire windshield? Any comments are helpful.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:59 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

I am going in for that this week, so I will let you know....
Old 03-10-2020, 11:54 AM
zojirushi
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious to know as well, I made a huge mistake trying to clean bird poop off the windshield and scratched it.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:18 PM
Fred Wallis
Intermediate

I much prefer to not have to replace an entire windshield, but I cannot in my mind at least imagine they could remove these scratches to my satisfaction. Although I know little of how good they are and why I was asking.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

If you can live with the damage then try to avoid it. I've replaced many windshields in my life and never been happy with he outcome. My BMW hates new windshields, the rain sensor never reads accurately through the lower quality glass used by windshield companies.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:44 PM
Fred Wallis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
If you can live with the damage then try to avoid it. I've replaced many windshields in my life and never been happy with he outcome. My BMW hates new windshields, the rain sensor never reads accurately through the lower quality glass used by windshield companies.
That certainly is a concern of mine if having to replace an entire windshield. Seems like some have had lingering issues.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

They can make scratches look a little better but the clarity will not be there...I know this for a fact as I tried. Who knows, there may be some some new glass tech but the distortion was too noticeable for me, especially when the sun hit it.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:00 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a deep scratch in the windshield of my my Macan, I didn’t want the hassle of replacing the windshield because sometimes there’s problems afterwards.

I did lots of google searches and found this chain:

https://novusglass.com/us/en/locations/

They have a special machine that polished the glass with a solution of cerium oxide - the machine is self contained so the cerium oxide is not spraying all over your car. It cost me $200 to have the scratch removed and i was 100% satisfied.

Here’s a pic of the process.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:29 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

I’d replace as I have never seen a repair disappear. Also for $140 bucks or so, I’d rather just get a new one. In my other non Pcar I used the same shop that the dealer uses and it looked EXACTLY like OEM. If you have some kind of sensor that looks out of your windshield, you would want to make sure that glass will work with that sensor.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:09 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

For what its worth I am on my 4th windshield - I always seem to get a crack when doing PCA back road tours because we are following pretty close to each other. Never had an issue with the swap and I always went with Safelite because my insurance covered it. You can ask for their master installer but I found that they assign a more experienced person anyway because of the car. Moral of the story - when my windshield gets pitted, I do a back road tour so I can get a new windshield .

Curious to hear how the scratch repair goes though it sounds like from Bob's experience, it is not great.
The following users liked this post:
Dgags (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Fred Wallis
Intermediate

If you get OEM glass, or aftermarket, will they both come with the antennas built in? Is there anything related to LCA or Rain Sensor that is affected by replacing a windshield, and if so, is this easily taken care of by any reputable glass shop?
Old 03-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

You can polish windshields... A friend of mine picked that up as a side biz... IT works but even he admits there might be a halo effect in certain conditions afterwards...
Old 03-12-2020, 01:08 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred Wallis
If you get OEM glass, or aftermarket, will they both come with the antennas built in? Is there anything related to LCA or Rain Sensor that is affected by replacing a windshield, and if so, is this easily taken care of by any reputable glass shop?
In my case they asked specific questions about which windshield I had, down to the tint color at the top of the window, antenna, rain sensor, etc. In every case the windshield I got was actually an OEM part; however when I asked for the Porsche specific windshield that would have cost me much more money out of pocket. Odd that it was the exact same part anyway.

Quick Reply: How magical are glass repair shops?