Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T / 991.2 Track brake pad recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020 | 09:40 AM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

Default Carrera T / 991.2 Track brake pad recommendations

Good Morning. My 996 GT3 is gone, and the Carrera T will begin to see some track duty this season.
Anyone have any Carrera T track experience / brake pad recommendations? cheers!
Old 03-05-2020 | 09:47 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Why not the same pad/compound you used on your 996? What compound did you run on that car?

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-05-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2020 | 02:43 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

For my T I'm thinking of putting on some Essex/AP 350mm discs with new pads, bolts, carriers, fluid, on the stock caliper as a few other members are running. Interchangeably the Girodisc is another rotor option in the caliper retention model. That seems like a good middle ground of brake upgrade for a largely street driven Carrera. Which pad is a good question, i'm not sure. I have not had a chance to look into what pads are available. Any suggestions are welcomed.

That modest brake tweak along with 19 inch wheels, seats (I have 4-ways), rear cage, harness would/should make for a decent low volume DE experience. That's before you even get to suspension or a tune, which obviously have tons of potential. The balance of both of those stock calibrated components feels nice to me at the moment, but the fact that the 3.0 engine can make strange power is compelling. I vaguely envision a distressed appearance Carrera T, half cage, bucket seats with houndstooth inserts, sport cats (or not), and an engine making 700 horsepower. At that point maybe the larger brakes are needed.
Old 03-05-2020 | 10:23 PM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

I ran Pagid Yellow pads on my GT3...
But a GT3 is not a Carrera T. Certainly very different dynamics.
And I'm interested to see if anyone has spent some serious track time with a Carrera T. And if so, what are there actual experiences with a stock Carrera T on track?
Not to be rude here, but has anyone actually spent any serious track time in a Carrera T? I don't want to change the suspension, the brake rotors, etc...etc.. etc...
Or I would have kept the GT3..... Thanks for your consideration!
Old 03-05-2020 | 10:27 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

The following 3 users liked this post by tgavem:
ColoradoGT3 (03-06-2020), Oracle911 (04-06-2021), tosha (06-03-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 10:38 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

so I read your post again. The T is a great car. In stock form it will understeer pretty bad. The 4S tires will chunk because not enough camber up front.
i also came from a 6GT3. I ran pagid yellow on the 6 and I continue with pagid yellow. Happy with them. As you can see in the video, no issue w stopping power But I did some mods. Happy with them and car is still a great DD or weekend driver.
in stock form and 4S tires the T would run same lap times as the 6 with R888 tires. Because on the understeer in the T I would drive it like my 6, ie easy in and fast out and use throttle to steer and exit corner
Mods:
I did some research and I found that GiroDisc is the only company that makes 350mm for our 4 piston calipers. Others use S size copies. Because we have 4 piston, our sweep area is different. So call GiroDisc and get their 350mm rotors for the base model if you decide to change.

For easy brake maintenance I installed Spiegler GT3 6 piece braided lines, caliper studs and brake line bracket studs from Tarett. SRF fluid. Recommend this since you plan to change pads.

I have a DSC box from DSC Sport for suspension.
In stock you can only get 1.5 camber in front so I installed GT3 lower control arm. Now run 2.4 front and 1.9 rear. This improved cornering and turn in tremendously. Still fantastic on the street, really no compromise. I also ordered rims with custom offset so I have 9” up front w 265 tires for track
The following users liked this post:
roketman (11-13-2022)
Old 03-05-2020 | 10:49 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
I did some research and I found that GiroDisc is the only company that makes 350mm for our 4 piston calipers. Others use S size copies. Because we have 4 piston, our sweep area is different. So call GiroDisc and get their 350mm rotors for the base model.

i also came from a 6GT3. I ran pagid yellow on the 6 and I continue with pagid yellow. Happy with them. As you can see in the video, no issue w stopping power.

For easy brake maintenance I installed Spiegler GT3 6 piece braided lines, caliper studs and brake line bracket studs from Tarett. SRF fluid.

I have a DSC box from DSC Sport for suspension. In stock you can only get 1.5 camber in front so I installed GT3 lower control arm. Now run 2.4 front and 1.9 rear. This improved cornering and turn in tremendously. Still fantastic on the street, really no compromise. I also ordered rims with custom offset so I have 9” up front w 265 tires.
in stock the car would understeer.
in stock with Michelin 4S tires I ran about same time as the 6 with R888 tires, but now the T is faster and so much more relaxing to drive. Not constantly driving on knife edge like with the 6.
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...-replace-330mm

Old 03-05-2020 | 10:53 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Creepe, I edited my post.

per Essex, these are not ready to ship yet. GiroDisc are and I got their set 18 months ago. I was their prototype.
Old 03-05-2020 | 11:04 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

so I read your post again. The T is a great car. In stock form it will understeer pretty bad. The 4S tires will chunk because not enough camber up front.
i also came from a 6GT3. I ran pagid yellow on the 6 and I continue with pagid yellow. Happy with them. As you can see in the video, no issue w stopping power But I did some mods. Happy with them and car is still a great DD or weekend driver.
in stock form and 4S tires the T would run same lap times as the 6 with R888 tires. Because on the understeer in the T I would drive it like my 6, ie easy in and fast out and use throttle to steer and exit corner
Mods:
I did some research and I found that GiroDisc is the only company that makes 350mm for our 4 piston calipers. Others use S size copies. Because we have 4 piston, our sweep area is different. So call GiroDisc and get their 350mm rotors for the base model if you decide to change.

For easy brake maintenance I installed Spiegler GT3 6 piece braided lines, caliper studs and brake line bracket studs from Tarett. SRF fluid. Recommend this since you plan to change pads.

In stock you can only get 1.5 camber in front so I installed GT3 lower control arm. Now run 2.4 front and 1.9 rear. This improved cornering and turn in tremendously. Still fantastic on the street, really no compromise. I also ordered rims with custom offset so I have 9” up front w 265 tires for track

per Essex, these are not ready to ship yet. GiroDisc are and I got their set 18 months ago. I was their prototype.
Gotcha. The Girodisc looks like a nice rotor as well. Responding to the OP's question about T track time, I've not had the Carrera T on the track at all yet, personally.
Old 03-06-2020 | 12:06 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Can you confirm part number for the arms? What did you end up doing with the rear? Just left it standard?

are you using stock Carrera T springs?

and finally are you using an off the shelf DSC map?

sorry for all the questions!
Old 03-06-2020 | 12:14 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

GT3 arms from Tarett, give me a day or two to look up part number. Rear I left stock

yes, using stock/ OEM spring.

for the DSC sport, Tom at TPC developed a special T map I am using.

Old 03-06-2020 | 12:27 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Thanks for the response, part number or link would be really helpful!
Old 03-06-2020 | 12:42 AM
Onad
Rennlist Member

I tried using the OEM brake set-up on the T at the track, but I quickly found I missed the bite and confidence of the Pagid Yellows. The upgraded pads and high-temp fluid made a big improvement.

For reference: I've been doing HPDEs for about five years, averaging 15-25 days a year. Over the winter I added the DSC suspension box, so I'm eager to see how that changes the car on the track, as I haven't felt much of a difference in daily driving.
InvestElevate (10-14-2020)
Old 03-06-2020 | 07:38 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ceepe,
We have the necessary components on the shelf to build and ship a set of the 2-piece Essex/AP Racing Discs in a day or two. We don’t always keep all our discs fully built in inventory, as many of them share the same iron. We follow more of a just-in-time build program with the discs, which offers us some additional flexibility. We have a note right next to the “add to cart” button on our site stating that. Just call us at 704-824-6030 and we can get you fixed up with AP discs, Spiegler lines, fluid..whatever you need, Thanks!👍

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 03-06-2020 at 08:30 AM.
F1SML8R (03-07-2020)
Old 03-06-2020 | 09:14 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Ceepe,
We have the necessary components on the shelf to build and ship a set of the 2-piece Essex/AP Racing Discs in a day or two. We don’t always keep all our discs fully built in inventory, as many of them share the same iron. We follow more of a just-in-time build program with the discs, which offers us some additional flexibility. We have a note right next to the “add to cart” button on our site stating that. Just call us at 704-824-6030 and we can get you fixed up with AP discs, Spiegler lines, fluid..whatever you need, Thanks!👍
Awesome. Thank you for clarifying JRitt. I am in no rush and I plan to run the AP disc that you guys offer. I will place an order in the coming months as i beat up these stock 330mm's a little more. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Carrera T / 991.2 Track brake pad recommendations