Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons: C2S vs C4S vs Targa 4S vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 11:43 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
The color does not hurt, like my Miami Blue Targa; however, it is getting attention when the top is retracted and the wrap around back glass, which one cannot find on any other 911 - Targa are not just any 911. And by the way, with the SmartTop module the top can be operated when moving up to 10mph, via the key fob and it has many other neat features.
So you’ve installed SmartTop? Any concerns by you or the dealer about whether it could damage the mechanism? I think it’s one of the first things I’d add if I get the Targa.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Stalker
So you’ve installed SmartTop? Any concerns by you or the dealer about whether it could damage the mechanism? I think it’s one of the first things I’d add if I get the Targa.
Zero issues or concerns with the SmartTop, and many here have them for their Targa and Cabs - check out their web site...they make them for many makes/models for years: http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&

I bought the SmartTop before my car was even delivered! The US is the only country that regulates when the top cannot operate. Not trying to be rude but why would I ask the dealer? It works great and it does not do anything that can damage anything.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:53 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Zero issues or concerns with the SmartTop, and many here have them for their Targa and Cabs - check out their web site...they make them for many makes/models for years: http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&

I bought the SmartTop before my car was even delivered! The US is the only country that regulates when the top cannot operate. Not trying to be rude but why would I ask the dealer? It works great and it does not do anything that can damage anything.

i didn't mean for permission...I meant only from a warranty perspective. Good to know it doesn’t create issues.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

i didn't mean for permission...I meant only from a warranty perspective. Good to know it doesn’t create issues.
I know what you meant. If you don't want the answer don't ask the question. Like many mods to any car, if you change something and what you changed breaks they will not cover it under warranty. Of course that does not mean if you change the headers and your radio stops they will still warranty the radio. In the case of the SmartTop if something happens to the top (not sure what could) unplug the SmartTop and take it to the dealer!
Old 02-26-2020, 04:15 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Though I appreciate the response, I’ve already been researching this for several months, have driven each of the cars I’m looking and am not asking which car I should buy. I’ll make that decision myself after I’ve concluded my analysis. I understand that that not everyone goes about car buying decisions this way, but I’m a data junkie and prefer to look at things from multiple angles and would like to learn from other peoples’ experiences as much as my own independent research.

I expect this purchase (which is the fulfillment of a decades-old dream) to be one that I live with for many years, so I want to give myself the absolute best chance of getting it as right as possible. Could I be happy with any of the choices? Probably. Could I be more thrilled for years to come by nailing it with some extra diligence? You bet.

So...what I’m actually asking for here is constructive owner input from people who have the opportunity to live with these cars on a daily basis and who may have gone through a couple of different models. I hope to get their feedback on specific real-world advantages/drawbacks that I may not be considering since my perspective is constrained by whatever online research I can do and a few test drives.

It’s OK if you’d rather not share your personal perspective, but please don’t pass judgment on what I’m doing, how I’m doing it or what “silly” stuff I’m thinking about because it’s different than how you would go about it. With all due respect, I’d rather hear from members who are interested in providing helpful comments.
In this decades old dream, you surely had a specific trim in mind. No multi-decade Porsche dream could be as broad as just a 911. Mine was a Turbo S. And thats what I based my decision on. I knew in my heart that the TTS was the trim I had always wanted. So it really only came down to what options, color combos, etc I wanted.

I would advise you do the same, as long as you wouldn’t be stretching yourself thin financially (not implying that you would be with any models).

Life is too short to worry about which part of your analyses is most suitable for your DREAM!
Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Had a 991.1 c4s, had a 996 c2, had a 997.1 tt, have a 991.2 tt.

Don’t know if a c2 with 4 wheel steering is available, but I’d get that if I couldn’t afford a tt. Never had a problem with the c2 in winter (NJ). The 4 wheel steering makes the car feel much smaller and more fun. Make sure you budget for a second set of wheels and winter tires.

By the way CPO will pay for itself in my experience of owning three CPO cars.

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons: C2S vs C4S vs Targa 4S vs Turbo