Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons: C2S vs C4S vs Targa 4S vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:11 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pros & Cons: C2S vs C4S vs Targa 4S vs Turbo

Hey all - this got a little long, so you may want to skip it if you don't have the tolerance for a detailed read.

I've got another thread going in this forum because I'm in the process of shopping for a pre-owned 2017-18 991.2 but I'd like some broader input as I try to narrow down the variant/trim that'll be best FOR ME. I'm posting this particular question here because I don't think it's specifically generation-dependent and is more about the platforms/trims/variants that have spanned multiple generations for years.

I know that buying a P-car can mainly be an emotional decision, but I'm an analytical type and make significant decisions with my head more than my heart. I'm trying to weigh all the pros and cons for each variant so I minimize the chance of stumbling on a surprise gotcha after I've bought one. My budget is very flexible (I expect to be between $80k-$120k) and is dependent on me deciding which variant/trim I really want - I want to get the most value for my buck that I can. Also, I'm not trying to start an argument about which one car is generally better than another - I know everyone has their opinions and will tend to prefer what they have.

Quick relevant background: I live in the Chicago suburbs, work from home (minimal actual commuting), I plan to use the car as my main vehicle but will also keep my AWD SUV for severe weather or passenger/cargo needs. I generally drive for work meetings, daily errands/running around, taking my wife out to dinner, etc - I expect that I'd add in more driving just for fun once I have this car. Expected usage is probably 60% suburban/local highway driving, 25% city driving, 10% road trips (maybe a few 4-10 hour trips per year), <5% track (maybe a few days per year). I also expect to keep the car for a long time and will be retiring to a warmer climate in about 6 years.

I've Ben Franklin-ed this thing to death and here's the gist of what I have so far. FWIW, I'm not concerned with the number of points under each heading...it's more about the qualitative aspects of each since some are more important than others. What am I missing?
  • C2S Pros:
    • Lowest cost option (assuming comparable specs): $85-$90k
    • More 'fun' to drive aggressively
    • Maybe the truest sports car driving experience
    • A lot of pre-owned units available
  • C2S Cons:
    • Simplest styling - not bad, just not as good as the others in my mind
    • I don't really need to be trying to break the back end loose
    • Would definitely have to buy snow tires for winter use
  • C4S Pros:
    • Can get a lot of car for around $95k
    • AWD will provide better year-round traction
    • More stability - easier to drive fast during (infrequent) track sessions and spiritedly on back roads
    • Love the wide body styling
  • C4S Cons:
    • If I'm gonna go AWD, should I just make the ~$15k-$20k jump into a Targa 4S?
    • Will I regret not getting a Targa or TT?
  • Targa 4S Pros (includes all AWD pros):
    • Provides a combination of coupe and open-air
    • I've always loved the Targa styling since I was a kid
    • Uniqueness - I don't see many Targas in our area
    • Seem to hold their value best out of all these (even though resale isn't a primary concern)
  • Targa 4S Cons:
    • Prices take me to $110-$120k
    • I'm not really an attention-seeker...I want a nice car but will the Targa draw too much unwanted attention?
    • Worried about squeaks and noises from the top - seeing conflicting experiences here on RL
    • Complicated Targa mechanism - potential problems down the line
    • The possibility that some a-hole might cut the top or dump crap into the car while it's parked (I know: be mindful of where I park it, but still...)
  • Turbo Pros (includes all AWD pros):
    • Top of the performance "food chain" for the cars I'm considering
    • The most aggressive styling
    • Seems like I can get a lot of car for the money based on depreciation vs MSRP
  • Turbo Cons:
    • Most expensive - is it really worth it for my uses?: $120-$130k
    • Probably too much car for how I'd typically use it
    • No factory PSE option - would have to add aftermarket to get a little more robust sound
    • Does the more powerful engine have higher maintenance costs?

For anyone wondering about other variants/trims: I don't want a convertible, so cabs are out. I don't want Alcantara or black wheels, so most GTS are out. I don't want CL, so TTS (and again, most GTS) are out. I want more of a GT car with comfort & convenience features, so the T is out.

Thanks for any input on other pros/cons I should be thinking about.

Last edited by 911Stalker; 02-25-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-25-2020, 02:12 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I've driven the GTS and Turbo models at the Porsche PTX track at some speed, and own a C4S.

They are similar in the way they drive, the extra 30 HP of the GTS doesn't feel that much different than my car. The Turbo is a big step up in performance, feels more opulent, is quite refined and AWD handles all conditions as my C4S does.

The main difference as noted, the AWD won't swing the back end around, it stays planted. For my everyday street driving and the wet, the AWD is very competent. Question is, how often are you going to slide that tail?

Targas or sunroof cars were a negative for me, didn't want the extra weight and mechanisms that come with those options. Owners of those cars will definitely disagree. If open top is a must have, you just decide which Targa you want.

Unless you're experienced tracker, any Porsche you're considering will gratify. On track days, the driver, not the car, is usually the main reason for faster times.

As to horsepower, the base 911 has enough to get you arrested and license cancelled. Its limits can only be approached on a track. Same goes for all the subsequent models.

My choice, C4S, next choice Turbo.

You will enjoy whichever one you buy. Good luck.

PS
Only attention I've had is positive, complimented by a wide variety of individuals who recognize the Porsche brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by BSO:
911Stalker (02-25-2020), Yojeffo (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:12 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

IMO, I think this is actually pretty easy to decide. Do you want RWD or AWD? RWD will be a little more toss-able and probably a little better steering feel. If you want RWD, your choice is made. If you want AWD, do you want open air or not? If you want open air, Targa is the only option. If you're just a power junky, Turbo is the only way to go.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

You are making this way too complicated! You are basically asking us which Porsche you should be buy! You have to narrow it down if you expect anyone to provide meaningful information; however, you need to do some research first and come back after you have. But if you are worried about silly stuff like someone putting something in your car if the top is down, or cutting it if it is up, maybe you need to consider something else entirely.
the_buch (02-27-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:33 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You are making this way too complicated! You are basically asking us which Porsche you should be buy! You have to narrow it down if you expect anyone to provide meaningful information; however, you need to do some research first and come back after you have. But if you are worried about silly stuff like someone putting something in your car if the top is down, or cutting it if it is up, maybe you need to consider something else entirely.
Though I appreciate the response, I’ve already been researching this for several months, have driven each of the cars I’m looking and am not asking which car I should buy. I’ll make that decision myself after I’ve concluded my analysis. I understand that that not everyone goes about car buying decisions this way, but I’m a data junkie and prefer to look at things from multiple angles and would like to learn from other peoples’ experiences as much as my own independent research.

I expect this purchase (which is the fulfillment of a decades-old dream) to be one that I live with for many years, so I want to give myself the absolute best chance of getting it as right as possible. Could I be happy with any of the choices? Probably. Could I be more thrilled for years to come by nailing it with some extra diligence? You bet.

So...what I’m actually asking for here is constructive owner input from people who have the opportunity to live with these cars on a daily basis and who may have gone through a couple of different models. I hope to get their feedback on specific real-world advantages/drawbacks that I may not be considering since my perspective is constrained by whatever online research I can do and a few test drives.

It’s OK if you’d rather not share your personal perspective, but please don’t pass judgment on what I’m doing, how I’m doing it or what “silly” stuff I’m thinking about because it’s different than how you would go about it. With all due respect, I’d rather hear from members who are interested in providing helpful comments.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:43 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

Good points.

AWD performance is year round. If the car keeps you on the road better, you can probably drive it harder.

Targa was a no go for me. Don't care for top down driving. Panoramic sunroof is plenty of light.

In my opinion, taking value and desired options, GTS was the sweet spot for me. 4 GTS in the end. Has the power and handling that works for me. Daily driver in Colorado.
911Stalker (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:57 PM
Waterloo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

You can't go wrong with any of your choices, so I'm no help whatsoever. I started down a similar path this time last year. Quickly narrowed it down to a C4S for the wide body, full width brake light and awd for Canadian winters. Then I found a stripped down, manual, Targa 4 that a customer ordered and walked away from. Beautiful car in Guards Red. Couldn't get it out of my head. Long story short, bought a Targa (not the red one) and have loved every minute of it. Had the top down over the weekend. Can't beat the look and the open air. No squeaks and rattles for me yet.

The following 2 users liked this post by Waterloo:
911Stalker (02-25-2020), ErikinSC (01-14-2023)
Old 02-25-2020, 04:00 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Waterloo
You can't go wrong with any of your choices, so I'm no help whatsoever. I started down a similar path this time last year. Quickly narrowed it down to a C4S for the wide body, full width brake light and awd for Canadian winters. Then I found a stripped down, manual, Targa 4 that a customer ordered and walked away from. Beautiful car in Guards Red. Couldn't get it out of my head. Long story short, bought a Targa (not the red one) and have loved every minute of it. Had the top down over the weekend. Can't beat the look and the open air. No squeaks and rattles for me yet.
That actually is helpful. Good to hear the targa hasn’t presented any noises so far.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:08 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

@BobZ I’m not trying to pick a fight. You provided some good input in one of my other posts and I appreciate it. This process has proved to be more daunting for me than I originally thought it would be, so I’m seeking all the input I can get.

Unfortunately, I want four different cars and have to narrow it down to one.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:21 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Stalker
@BobZ I’m not trying to pick a fight. You provided some good input in one of my other posts and I appreciate it. This process has proved to be more daunting for me than I originally thought it would be, so I’m seeking all the input I can get.

Unfortunately, I want four different cars and have to narrow it down to one.
First off you should decide if you want a hardtop or drop top. I have had a few P cars and all of my sports cars has to be a drop top of some kind. I sold a C7 since the turbulance in the cockpit was too brutal at higher speeds (and some other reasons) and there is none of that in the Targa. I drove a Cab beforehand and that has a tiny back window, etc. and did not look as nice as the Targa. None of the newer Cabs or Targas have true softtops since they have panels underneath the fabric so if someone wanted to cut into them they would have to find the seams between the panels, which at that point they would probably give up and key the car before they left. Otherwise, a couple tiny rattles I fixed myself but the car has been great and I have no regrets. I thought about buying a new Speedster when they came out but I have done so much to my car that I am content with what I have, for now.. I tend to change cars a lot and for now I have no plans for something different. Finally, I would not buy one without a manual since I love to shift as part of the total experience, which always involves 3 pedals and no paddles.

Better?

Last edited by Bob Z.; 02-25-2020 at 05:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
911Stalker (02-25-2020), goldduster (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 05:10 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts

Get a 4S, its the middle of the pack and you wont be wishing you got a different one.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:42 PM
Saffron
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently bought a 991.1 4S absolutely love the widebody.
The 400 hp is plenty for me, but definitely wouldn’t go any lower level and that. the turbo was out of my budget.
A friend of mine got a C2, after seeing my widebody 4S he’s now in the market to trade his in for a GTS.
911Stalker (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 05:45 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Stalker
Hey all - this got a little long, so you may want to skip it if you don't have the tolerance for a detailed read.

I've got another thread going in this forum because I'm in the process of shopping for a pre-owned 2017-18 991.2 but I'd like some broader input as I try to narrow down the variant/trim that'll be best FOR ME. I'm posting this particular question here because I don't think it's specifically generation-dependent and is more about the platforms/trims/variants that have spanned multiple generations for years.

I know that buying a P-car can mainly be an emotional decision, but I'm an analytical type and make significant decisions with my head more than my heart. I'm trying to weigh all the pros and cons for each variant so I minimize the chance of stumbling on a surprise gotcha after I've bought one. My budget is very flexible (I expect to be between $80k-$120k) and is dependent on me deciding which variant/trim I really want - I want to get the most value for my buck that I can. Also, I'm not trying to start an argument about which one car is generally better than another - I know everyone has their opinions and will tend to prefer what they have.

Quick relevant background: I live in the Chicago suburbs, work from home (minimal actual commuting), I plan to use the car as my main vehicle but will also keep my AWD SUV for severe weather or passenger/cargo needs. I generally drive for work meetings, daily errands/running around, taking my wife out to dinner, etc - I expect that I'd add in more driving just for fun once I have this car. Expected usage is probably 60% suburban/local highway driving, 25% city driving, 10% road trips (maybe a few 4-10 hour trips per year), <5% track (maybe a few days per year). I also expect to keep the car for a long time and will be retiring to a warmer climate in about 6 years.

I've Ben Franklin-ed this thing to death and here's the gist of what I have so far. FWIW, I'm not concerned with the number of points under each heading...it's more about the qualitative aspects of each since some are more important than others. What am I missing?
  • C2S Pros:
    • Lowest cost option (assuming comparable specs): $85-$90k
    • More 'fun' to drive aggressively
    • Maybe the truest sports car driving experience
  • C2S Cons:
    • Simplest styling - not bad, just not as good as the others in my mind
    • I don't really need to be trying to break the back end loose
    • Would definitely have to buy snow tires for winter use
  • C4S Pros:
    • Can get a lot of car for around $95k
    • AWD will provide better year-round traction
    • More stability - easier to drive fast during (infrequent) track sessions and spiritedly on back roads
    • Love the wide body styling
  • C4S Cons:
    • If I'm gonna go AWD, should I just make the ~$15k-$20k jump into a Targa 4S?
    • Will I regret not getting a Targa or TT?
  • Targa 4S Pros (includes all AWD pros):
    • Provides a combination of coupe and open-air
    • I've always loved the Targa styling since I was a kid
    • Uniqueness - I don't see many Targas in our area
    • Seem to hold their value best out of all these (even though resale isn't a primary concern)
  • Targa 4S Cons:
    • Prices take me to $110-$120k
    • I'm not really an attention-seeker...I want a nice car but will the Targa draw too much unwanted attention?
    • Worried about squeaks and noises from the top - seeing conflicting experiences here on RL
    • Complicated Targa mechanism - potential problems down the line
    • The possibility that some a-hole might cut the top or dump crap into the car while it's parked (I know: be mindful of where I park it, but still...)
  • Turbo Pros (includes all AWD pros):
    • Top of the performance "food chain" for the cars I'm considering
    • The most aggressive styling
    • Seems like I can get a lot of car for the money based on depreciation vs MSRP
  • Turbo Cons:
    • Most expensive - is it really worth it for my uses?: $120-$130k
    • Probably too much car for how I'd typically use it
    • No factory PSE option - would have to add aftermarket to get a little more robust sound
    • Does the more powerful engine have higher maintenance costs?

For anyone wondering about other variants/trims: I don't want a convertible, so cabs are out. I don't want Alcantara or black wheels, so most GTS are out. I don't want CL, so TTS (and again, most GTS) are out. I want more of a GT car with comfort & convenience features, so the T is out.

Thanks for any input on other pros/cons I should be thinking about.
I have owned a 911Turbo Cab, and now a new (2019) Targa 4 GTS as of last month. I don't track the car so I didn't care about the extra weight of a sunroof or targa roof etc. I too live in the Chicago suburbs, so I needed AWD, but I have always liked the open air experience. I had a 911Turbo Cab for 4 years. I realize that where we live it makes zero sense to have a cab but I wanted one so I got it. I used it with the top down rarely. I thought it was too noisy and windy with the top down and most of the time it was too cold out. I went to sedans for a few years (Panamera turbo most recently) but I got the itch for a 911 recently. I have always liked the look of the Targa and you are correct that there are not very many here in our area. I liked the idea of having some top down driving, but it was definitely less windy and quieter? than what I experienced in the cab (top up and top down). Also in the Targa the rear visibility is awesome.
I like spirited driving (non-track), but felt that the turbo was just too much power for my use, and I never really tapped into it.
AWD was an absolute must for me. I spoke to a friend who had a Targa 4S and he wished he could have gotten a GTS.
This is a car I intend to keep for >10 years.

So my needs were: AWD, partial open air experience (didnt want a cab), didnt need a turbo but GTS appealed to me (I like black wheels) - pretty easy for me to go with a Targa. I think for me it is at various times: a looker, a fast car, a "comfortable" car, a daily driver, a fun weekend car, I can drive it top up or down. It is not too flashy at all (any more than a Porsche 911 can be). Resale not important for me but nice to know the Targa holds its value well.

I agree that your decision point is RWD vs AWD
if AWD - C4S is fine if you dont care about sunroof/open driving
I personally did not feel the 911 Turbo the way I drove it is much different that my current Targa GTS.

Anytime you want to test drive my car let me know...
The following 3 users liked this post by pmiddy:
911Stalker (02-25-2020), ErikinSC (01-14-2023), goldduster (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 05:49 PM
MDelaney
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 4S, PDK - All the choices you had, I was able to eliminate each option pretty quickly. Couldn't do manual because I needed my wife to be able to drive it. Wanted backseat. (those 2 rule out the car I've been really drawn to - gt3 touring - but then I'd be at turbo pricing) I couldnt do the Targa because I transport a bike fairly regularly, and a Targa makes that challenging. I wanted a .2 for the carplay and I couldnt afford a .2 Turbo. I needed the allwheel drive for a daily driver where I am ruling non 4 variants. From a functional standpoint, yes the Turbo would check all the same boxes, but not where I was at from a price-point or for that matter, vehicle availability. Also, mine is Lava Orange which really jumped out at me and was a big factor for this specific car.

Reading your original post and follow up, maybe we aren't the same in the way we make decisions, but after identifying all the characteristics I knew what the car had to have - after looking around, online and at dealers - when I saw my car in person the first time, I knew it was the one - the connection was there almost immediately.
The following 2 users liked this post by MDelaney:
911Stalker (02-25-2020), the_buch (02-27-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 06:46 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Something to keep in mind, the 991.2 Carrera can be modded to Turbo power (or more) easily.

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons: C2S vs C4S vs Targa 4S vs Turbo