Sponsored by:

Need advice ... 2018 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 11:39 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket
I would personally shy away given the combination of the mileage plus accident.
I have difficulty understanding this reasoning. Unless you're just talking about resale value, where there are definitely lots of buyers prejudiced against either.

Neither should affect the actual ownership experience of the car in any way. With a lot of fender benders, you're it's just the replacement of a single part: the body panel (or panels) involved. Once the panel is replaced there's no functional difference. And 30k miles? Since when is 30k miles a serious amount of wear on a car built to Porsche's standards? Sure, it's more than average, but does anyone believe the cars are that fragile?

None of this should remotely be considered a red flag for ownership. The issue is only the perception of value for the next owner. Which I absolutely grant is a thing - just look at this thread as an example of how maybe 70% of the potential buyers will turn away if you turn around and resell it in a couple of years. A tendency I expect changes with the age of the car, people view 14+ year old cars differently than 4 year old cars.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:56 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I have difficulty understanding this reasoning. Unless you're just talking about resale value, where there are definitely lots of buyers prejudiced against either.

Neither should affect the actual ownership experience of the car in any way. With a lot of fender benders, you're it's just the replacement of a single part: the body panel (or panels) involved. Once the panel is replaced there's no functional difference. And 30k miles? Since when is 30k miles a serious amount of wear on a car built to Porsche's standards? Sure, it's more than average, but does anyone believe the cars are that fragile?

None of this should remotely be considered a red flag for ownership. The issue is only the perception of value for the next owner. Which I absolutely grant is a thing - just look at this thread as an example of how maybe 70% of the potential buyers will turn away if you turn around and resell it in a couple of years. A tendency I expect changes with the age of the car, people view 14+ year old cars differently than 4 year old cars.
I think the point being made was that the mileage is high and the car was in an accident. Neither is a plus. Maybe not a bug negative to some but definitely not a plus. Negative to many. The price might not reflect these 2 factors sufficiently to make this a gray deal. You can get a great deal if you are patient.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:00 AM
pbeezy
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadaab Kazi
New Member here.. looking to purchase my 1st Porsche.

Found a 2018 911 GTS in Carmine Red that has about 31K miles on the odometer. When I checked the CarFax it revealed a minor accident (front). Thing is the car was Certified and is being offered for sale as a CPO. When I ask the dealer to present the repair report they didn't have anything to share. The sales rep said "The previous owner had the repairs done and that our CPO process is extensive so you should have no concerns."

Listing has been active for over 180 days and dealer has dropped the value 15K since the first listing. Car is attractive and well optioned out but I fear the asking price is still high given that it's been in an accident ($91K) and if I wanted to ever resell it down the road, it would be a nightmare.

Thoughts? Should I stay away? I don't think they'd be open to a PPI but do you think that'll reveal anything?
I looked at that car. Ask them to show you the repair records. The damage was anything but minor. Over $20k. That dealership wasn’t exactly forthcoming about the repairs, either. That car is nice from far but far from nice.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:46 AM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
I think the point being made was that the mileage is high and the car was in an accident. Neither is a plus. Maybe not a bug negative to some but definitely not a plus. Negative to many. The price might not reflect these 2 factors sufficiently to make this a gray deal. You can get a great deal if you are patient.
it is priced $20k lower than anything that is not a PSDS car. If that enough? I’m not sure, but based on how long they have had it I bet another 4-5k off isn’t out of the question.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 AM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought a Cayman once that had an accident. Inspection was good, I wanted it (first Porsche) so I bought it. It ended up being difficult to sell. After18k miles it also had a transmission issue. I repaired it and then unloaded the car at a porter low price. I won’t buy used Porsche’s again unless looking at super low miles. So many have some story.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:32 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve been following the GTS market and this particular car as well. I didn’t look further into its specifics because I wasn’t a fan of the interior color and 14-Way seats. The mileage didn’t bother me. The price got my attention for sure. Now we know why. That’s why RL is great .
Old 02-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Shadaab Kazi
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbeezy
I looked at that car. Ask them to show you the repair records. The damage was anything but minor. Over $20k. That dealership wasn’t exactly forthcoming about the repairs, either. That car is nice from far but far from nice.
I did and was told that the original owner got the car repaired and didnt share the repair records. The fact that the car has been on the lot for over 100 days says a lot. No to mention the gradual price decrease it's seen. The dealership keeps touting the fact that it's CPO as the reason to not think twice.

How did you learn that it was over $20K in damage? Either way I'm no longer considering this car .

Old 02-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I did and was told that the original owner got the car repaired and didnt share the repair records. The fact that the car has been on the lot for over 100 days says a lot. No to mention the gradual price decrease it's seen. The dealership keeps touting the fact that it's CPO as the reason to not think twice.

How did you learn that it was over $20K in damage? Either way I'm no longer considering this car .
Maybe have them state in writing that they will cover anything that goes wrong. The person that traded it took a loss on trade in because of the car accident for sure. Maybe they had a diminished value claim so they were made right. But the dealer doesn’t take in cars with accidents and then pays top dollar. Or another possibility is that the car was bought at auction and the price they paid reflects the damage. I know you said that they dealt with the owner of the car. I would not take this as the truth. If you really want to buy the car ask them to give your info to the original owner and have them call you. If they won’t make that happen, then it’s an auction car. I think people wouldn’t mind talking to a buyer of their car even through a dealer to explain the accident and repair. I will guess that you will never speak with that owner. Either they died, changed their cell number, or are in prison. At least per the dealer.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Dirty Jacket
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Please comment on this car based on your observations:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1180332/page3
Your car is awesome dude. I think it is priced competitively relative to dealerships but the challenge I think is for basically the same price there are a couple of slightly higher mile (sub 15k) examples with a CPO. If 110k was my price point I’d be deciding between yours and one in the southeast that I am enamored with.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:36 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 765 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket
Your car is awesome dude. I think it is priced competitively relative to dealerships but the challenge I think is for basically the same price there are a couple of slightly higher mile (sub 15k) examples with a CPO. If 110k was my price point I’d be deciding between yours and one in the southeast that I am enamored with.
Thank you!

I am open to all reasonable offers.

Given the tire-kicking, I am probably 48 hours from just taking the listing down and keeping the car.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:24 AM
pbeezy
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 41 Posts

They have the records - they did the repairs. I asked to see the records expecting to just see some normal maintenance. I was taken aback. This was just the first page. I think the next page was close to 18k. What they are doing at that dealership ain’t right

Old 02-09-2020, 01:58 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pbeezy
They have the records - they did the repairs. I asked to see the records expecting to just see some normal maintenance. I was taken aback. This was just the first page. I think the next page was close to 18k. What they are doing at that dealership ain’t right

And there we go. So 29k of damage to the car. Vehicle is pulling to the right. Mounted and balanced 3 wheels. No big deal. Just replace the parts and do an alignment and it will be a great car.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:01 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I feel like the Porsche market is overly sensitive to minor accidents. They happen, and usually they're completely repairable to the point that there's absolutely no difference between the repaired car and any other car of the same age and mileage.

I did a search on Autotrader, and I believe I found the car in question: https://www.porschewest.com/certifie...a455acf60b.htm
VIN: WP0AB2A90JS122192

The "build sheet from VIN" link doesn't work anymore, or I'd post that.

It's unlikely there's anything wrong with the car, particularly as a CPO. If you're talking purely about how much car you get for your dollar, you're not going to see any other 2018 GTS for anything close to that price, and it's going to drive exactly the same. The next-closest 2018 GTS in an Autotrader search is $109k.

The main question is how long do you plan on holding the car, and if you think you'll end up selling it, how much of a hit you'll take. I think what you really need to ask yourself is: "is this my ideal car?" Leaving aside the accident issue, how would you feel about the car otherwise?

I bought a used 2014 4S in 2016, and had some misgivings about it. The things I didn't like were purely subjective, such as the interior color, and I thought I'd get over them. I didn't. I ended up selling it after 18 months, and took about a $20k hit. Conversely, I have no such qualms about the GTS that replaced it, because the replacement is exactly the car I wanted.

If it's not your ideal car, pass. If you think you can genuinely love it and hold on to it for 10 years, go for it. Though I think Luv2Sleep is right that you probably have some negotiating room, just because of how other buyers will view the car.
Read my previous post above this one. Still think “It's unlikely there's anything wrong with the car, particularly as a CPO?”
Old 02-09-2020, 11:16 PM
Shadaab Kazi
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
And there we go. So 29k of damage to the car. Vehicle is pulling to the right. Mounted and balanced 3 wheels. No big deal. Just replace the parts and do an alignment and it will be a great car.

Wow!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:25 AM
obTurbo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love Carmine Red this would be tempting for the price if I was ready. After looking through the posts I think I would be more concerned about the 20-30k curb hit than the minor accident 2 years prior. Curious with the Houston market how this is still there even with the accident on CarFax considering the price.....

Quick Reply: Need advice ... 2018 GTS