Sponsored by:

2018 GTS, slick roof, 5-lug, 6970 miles

For Sale

Old 02-06-2020, 12:39 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
I tried (and failed) to sell a 991.2 here last spring; 2017 C2S, superb build, 12k miles, 130k MSRP. I couldn't get anyone to take it off my hands at $4k over wholesale, so I wholesaled it. Hopefully you have better luck than I did, but with these falling so quickly in value and not really in demand (they made a ton and there are a ton for sale right now), you may have trouble getting a decent price. Not to mention that everyone on here, no matter the car, low-***** and wastes your time. To get max value, I would either price it $5-6k above trade-in value (assuming you aren't trading it in and the tax credit does you no good, or you have an Oregon/Montana residency and therefore don't pay tax), or find a great high-end shop to consign it for you.

Look at how many Carrera T models are listed here. Granted, most are listed at or over retail (sellers don't want to admit they got snookered into drinking the phantom "T will be worth a ton" juice and probably overpaid at some point, but the market is the market and they are falling just as quickly as every other 991.2 Carrera model, but still; has a single one sold? It would be nice to see someone price a car "to sell" and see what actually happens.

I have had better luck over on the PCA site, but your ad there needs a lot of work, or at least it did when you posted it last week. You should post the VIN at a minimum, and describe the options much better, or those that people really pay attention to, such as non-CL wheels/Tranny/RWS/seats/interior color. I saw it immediately and wanted to know more, but I had to see the car listed here to get that info. People will assume it is in great shape, so don't waste time talking about how clean it is: that is what phone calls and follow ups are for.

Good luck!
All of the above makes sense.

I had trouble getting the PCA site to cooperate. That is why I added a link back here. My PCA ad is absolute TRASH...will have another go at fixing that posting.

Last edited by dmk2; 02-06-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 845 Likes on 442 Posts

I tried (and failed) to sell a 991.2 here last spring; 2017 C2S, superb build, 12k miles, 130k MSRP. I couldn't get anyone to take it off my hands at $4k over wholesale, so I wholesaled it. Hopefully you have better luck than I did, but with these falling so quickly in value and not really in demand (they made a ton and there are a ton for sale right now), you may have trouble getting a decent price. Not to mention that everyone on here, no matter the car, low-***** and wastes your time. To get max value, I would either price it $5-6k above trade-in value (assuming you aren't trading it in and the tax credit does you no good, or you have an Oregon/Montana residency and therefore don't pay tax), or find a great high-end shop to consign it for you.

Look at how many Carrera T models are listed here. Granted, most are listed at or over retail (sellers don't want to admit they got snookered into drinking the phantom "T will be worth a ton" juice and probably overpaid at some point, but the market is the market and they are falling just as quickly as every other 991.2 Carrera model, but still; has a single one sold? It would be nice to see someone price a car "to sell" and see what actually happens.

I have had better luck over on the PCA site, but your ad there needs a lot of work, or at least it did when you posted it last week. You should post the VIN at a minimum, and describe the options much better, or those that people really pay attention to, such as non-CL wheels/Tranny/RWS/seats/interior color. I saw it immediately and wanted to know more, but I had to see the car listed here to get that info. People will assume it is in great shape, so don't waste time talking about how clean it is: that is what phone calls and follow ups are for.

Good luck!
There was one T with minor scratches but gorgeous specs for sale last year. LWB PCCB RAS with cpo & 5k or so miles, sold within days the seller dropped the price to 90k. I tried to coax my buddy into that one as well, he hesitated a bit and boom it's gone. Now he really regrets that missing opportunity and every other candidates I sent to him is compared to that one & he/we hasn't find a better deal yet.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:53 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

GTS is a more well rounded car than the T. No scratches on this one.

He may regret letting this one go as well.

I know I might.

Patched up my PCA ad. Thank you for mentioning that. You are limited to no more than 5 photos and 375 characters of text.

Last edited by dmk2; 02-06-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

If each click/view for this ad donated $10 to my GT4 fund I could reduce the price to an even 100k
Old 02-06-2020, 04:25 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Posting the car here is one of the more interesting things I have done in a long time.

The open responses and the private messages have been a study in human behavior.

The auction sites get a a lot of attention, as do Mecum etc...

It is not clear to me why one would want to bid on a site like BaT, PCARMARKET, or EBay instead of identifying and purchasing within the community?

Is there some intrinsic value in paying fees at auction or a premium to a retailer?

Presumably the pool of potential buyers stays the same.

So why do the behaviors change?

Last edited by dmk2; 02-07-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:23 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

I think BaT gets many more views, and I think a lot of folks like the anonymity but...

I sold my 993 here a few years back - and sold it within a week at asking price (which was fair), with several firm offers on the table. You are right that many of the PMs were, to be polite, "interesting" - but there were also some very respectful and courteous folks. The member that bought my car actually called me and we spoke at length for several hours over several days and through the PPI. When the deal was done I had not just a buyer, but a new friend. Be patient -- you'll get it sold.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:31 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
I think BaT gets many more views, and I think a lot of folks like the anonymity but...

I sold my 993 here a few years back - and sold it within a week at asking price (which was fair), with several firm offers on the table. You are right that many of the PMs were, to be polite, "interesting" - but there were also some very respectful and courteous folks. The member that bought my car actually called me and we spoke at length for several hours over several days and through the PPI. When the deal was done I had not just a buyer, but a new friend. Be patient -- you'll get it sold.
Hope for the above is why I opted to list here 😀

Last edited by dmk2; 02-07-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:05 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
GTS is a more well rounded car than the T. No scratches on this one.

He may regret letting this one go as well.

I know I might.

Patched up my PCA ad. Thank you for mentioning that. You are limited to no more than 5 photos and 375 characters of text.
Yes, the photo and text limitations for the classifieds on the PCA site are silly. Assuming that PCA members are quite knowledgeable, you’d think that the site would allow a seller to provide much more detail and many more pictures for the car they are selling. I’ve got my 993 listed on PCA and while I’ve gotten a number of hits, there’s more back-and-forth with prospective buyers because of the ad limitations.

I’m actually in the market for a .2 GTS and this one is quite nice, but gotta sell the 993 first! GLWS...
Old 02-08-2020, 11:12 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MielsOnWheels
Yes, the photo and text limitations for the classifieds on the PCA site are silly. Assuming that PCA members are quite knowledgeable, you’d think that the site would allow a seller to provide much more detail and many more pictures for the car they are selling. I’ve got my 993 listed on PCA and while I’ve gotten a number of hits, there’s more back-and-forth with prospective buyers because of the ad limitations.

I’m actually in the market for a .2 GTS and this one is quite nice, but gotta sell the 993 first! GLWS...
I too wish the PCA site was better. Perhaps we could ask for what we want. There is no question the resources are there for improvement.

Good luck selling your 993!

Happy hunting for a GTS. The hunt is half the fun!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:25 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Have been debating taking down the ad here and posting on BaT or PCARMARKET.

I am really not convinced that those sites will get the job done.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:01 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anything with the auction sites, you'll know that you'll be getting whatever the "market" is at that time. Respectfully, while clean and nice, it is missing some of the stuff that GTS owners are looking for like Alcantara, centerlock wheels, etc.. Without those, some may prefer a well optioned S and may be offering accordingly. Good luck on the sale though, car is a beauty!
Old 02-08-2020, 01:16 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

No offense taken.

The ethos for this build was obviously more grand touring than GT3.

I was shooting for more traditional 911 driving dynamics without the headaches of center lock wheels, PCCBs, heavy sunroof, and fuzzy Alcantara.

Its a nice comfy build that filled a void left by its garagemates
Old 02-08-2020, 01:41 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Posting the car here is one of the more interesting things I have done in a long time.

The open responses and the private messages have been a study in human behavior.

The auction sites get a a lot of attention, as do Mecum etc...

It is not clear to me why one would want to bid on a site like BaT, PCARMARKET, or EBay instead of identifying and purchasing within the community?

Is there some intrinsic value in paying fees at auction or a premium to a retailer?

Presumably the pool of potential buyers stays the same.

So why do the behaviors change?
Unfortunately, not many people hang around here that are in the market for cars. Most people want something for nothing: of course they will buy it for less than wholesale, but you will have to get luckly to find someone actively looking for a car like this. BAT has much more exposure and odds are higher you will find that person. Alternately, a lot of people who shop at dealers either don't look on private party sites or don't care if they overpay. Dealers are convenient and will take their trade. For a lot of Porsche buyers, saving $10k isn't worth the hassle of doing a private party transaction and the due diligence required. I am always shocked to see how people can just throw money away like that, but I like finding hidden gems from enthusiasts and not going through dealers. When I tried to sell my gorgeous, enthusiast-spect 991.2 C2S last year, I had tire kickers galore. I ended up wholesaling it for more than the "best offer" I got here. The dealer marked it up $11k and sold it in 2 weeks.

I doubt you will get over $100k on BAT, honestly. The 991.2 market isn't that strong, and with dealer prices dropping to around this for GTS models (with CPO), considering the "lean" build, you are also competing against S models, which with this mileage, are private party mid to high 80's right now for a 2017 (add $5k for each year newer to get apples to apples). The 991.2 pricing structure seems to be converging with the 991.1; no doubt the 991.2 is the better car, but people may prefer the NA engine as they tend to be priced strongly all things considered.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:43 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Selling a car private party can be a PITA. Have you thought of consigning it? I think I may have mentioned it earlier. I just consigned my GT3, and the dealer sold it less than 2 weeks after listing it. They took $5k in consignment fees, which isn't bad at all for a $110k car.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:45 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately, not many people hang around here that are in the market for cars. Most people want something for nothing: of course they will buy it for less than wholesale, but you will have to get luckly to find someone actively looking for a car like this. BAT has much more exposure and odds are higher you will find that person. Alternately, a lot of people who shop at dealers either don't look on private party sites or don't care if they overpay. Dealers are convenient and will take their trade. For a lot of Porsche buyers, saving $10k isn't worth the hassle of doing a private party transaction and the due diligence required. I am always shocked to see how people can just throw money away like that, but I like finding hidden gems from enthusiasts and not going through dealers. When I tried to sell my gorgeous, enthusiast-spect 991.2 C2S last year, I had tire kickers galore. I ended up wholesaling it for more than the "best offer" I got here. The dealer marked it up $11k and sold it in 2 weeks.

I doubt you will get over $100k on BAT, honestly. The 991.2 market isn't that strong, and with dealer prices dropping to around this for GTS models (with CPO), considering the "lean" build, you are also competing against S models, which with this mileage, are private party mid to high 80's right now for a 2017 (add $5k for each year newer to get apples to apples). The 991.2 pricing structure seems to be converging with the 991.1; no doubt the 991.2 is the better car, but people may prefer the NA engine as they tend to be priced strongly all things considered.
Looks like that’s the direction this car may be headed in as well.

It will stay in my garage and have a new friend if it comes to that.