Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with PPF on black cars..expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020 | 11:23 AM
kuma1416
Racer

No PPF will ever be perfect. If an installer tells you they leave no debris or bubbles under the film, they are not being truthful or else need a pair of glasses. Having said that, if the contaminants are easily visible from more than a few feet away, that's not a good job (sort of defeats the purpose). Sunlight is the best place place to check for imperfections. I just did my BMW recently and it looked great in the garage when I finished but when I took it outside, as expected I saw bubbles (and a few fine white hairs courtesy of my little pup). Hard debris you have to live with or re-do. Bubbles may disappear (if liquid) or can be aspirated with a hypo needle (if air or liquid). Unfortunately black is the color which will show these more than just about any other.
Old 02-08-2020 | 11:34 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kuma1416
No PPF will ever be perfect. If an installer tells you they leave no debris or bubbles under the film, they are not being truthful or else need a pair of glasses. Having said that, if the contaminants are easily visible from more than a few feet away, that's not a good job (sort of defeats the purpose). Sunlight is the best place place to check for imperfections. I just did my BMW recently and it looked great in the garage when I finished but when I took it outside, as expected I saw bubbles (and a few fine white hairs courtesy of my little pup). Hard debris you have to live with or re-do. Bubbles may disappear (if liquid) or can be aspirated with a hypo needle (if air or liquid). Unfortunately black is the color which will show these more than just about any other.
Eloquently put.

Only comment I’d like to expand on, proper lighting will show FAR more than the sunlight.

our dedicated ppf room has nearly 160000 lumens of light at a very precise color tone and wavelength. These bulbs have chips and lenses made in Japan and were custom designed by the lighting engineer for our specific tolerance and application.

our standards in this room...almost anything we notice and see in this room, you’ll never see outside. For our production installations, 1-5% installation defects we see in this room, 99% unnoticed in sunlight at 1-3 inches away. That’s one of the highest standards of excellence in the industry, and world

View this post on Instagram
Old 02-08-2020 | 12:05 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
Not really, in fact the statement I hear all the time is “Amazing work, I can’t even tell it’s wrapped” Use a great installer and have ALL the edges wrapped.
Not for me. Would never put an inch of it on any of my cars. Totally lame in every way.
Old 02-08-2020 | 12:17 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Eloquently put.

Only comment I’d like to expand on, proper lighting will show FAR more than the sunlight.

our dedicated ppf room has nearly 160000 lumens of light at a very precise color tone and wavelength. These bulbs have chips and lenses made in Japan and were custom designed by the lighting engineer for our specific tolerance and application.

our standards in this room...almost anything we notice and see in this room, you’ll never see outside. For our production installations, 1-5% installation defects we see in this room, 99% unnoticed in sunlight at 1-3 inches away. That’s one of the highest standards of excellence in the industry, and world

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8MSgrxl...d=w6urzsbaxe75
Impressive. Like.
Old 02-08-2020 | 12:23 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I had never had a black car until my DD S550 in Obsidian Black. Turns out I liked it. When I ordered this car, I went with Jet Black Metallic thinking that pure black would be impossible. I have PPF on all painted surfaces and am very happy with the results overall. Perfect? No but close enough for me as I drive the car about every week year round and don't enter any Concours events.
I had a couple spots where the PPF was coming up on the back and, to his credit, the installer redid the entire rear bumper without charge.
Nice thing about PPF is I don't worry about spot cleaning with a dry wash product like Blackfire. And have been putting Beadmaker on as a sacrificial layer once a month or so. It's all good enough for me.
Old 02-08-2020 | 12:30 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Eloquently put.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8MSgrxl...d=w6urzsbaxe75
You NEED to set up a shop on the east coast Moe!
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020 | 04:10 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Yeah, just haven’t gotten around to installing the center radiator. Haven’t needed it yet.
Paint shop did a remarkable job. Painted in July, sat for 45 days while I was out of the country, PPF in September.
i use Swiss Vax. It’s not cheap, but it gives the best shine and a jar lasts a couple of years.
i drive it! Has 44K on it in 6 years.
The spoilers are TechArt, front and rear.
Which Swissvax wax are you using? I use their leather condition and have used a couple of their waxes in years past.
Old 02-08-2020 | 04:44 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Which Swissvax wax are you using? I use their leather condition and have used a couple of their waxes in years past.
I use Zuffenhausen about 4 times a year. I use the cleaner with a buffer once a year. No swirl marks😀😀
Old 02-08-2020 | 05:10 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I use Zuffenhausen about 4 times a year. I use the cleaner with a buffer once a year. No swirl marks😀😀
Thanks! Your car looks great! Guessing you use the Cleaner Fluid regular? I need to get more info if that fills or removes swirls. As much as I like to remove swirls through traditional polishing, I would be happy with filling.
Old 02-08-2020 | 05:18 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

PPF and ceramic coating look like glass.
Old 02-08-2020 | 06:04 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

The reality is, there’s no such thing as a perfect installation. Most installers and owners would like to believe it’s “perfect” but you’ll always find something somewhere given the correct lighting and discerning eye.

installing ppf is management of debris, correct manipulation of the ppf material, and setting realistic expectations for yourself as installer and conveying that to the owner. You’re putting a giant sticker on a complex surface and time is of the essence.

the standard of excellence will vary from shop to shop, and most importantly, installer to installer. Remember this one caveat...an experienced and crafted installer knows EVERY imperfection He/she has left behind. If they’ve left it behind it’s been either strategic, or lack of attention/intentional.

I’ll give you an example...at our shop, our standard of excellence is among the highest, if not the highest, in the industry. I’m psychotic that way and enjoy the pain...it’s a disease, I need help, but I digress 😆😆

Let’s say on a black 911 I have 2-3 particles on a bumper. If these particles are not able to be cleaned out, and are say near an area that’s not noticeable unless one crouches down and tilts his/her head, but rest of the installation is clean and void of imperfections, we’ll
leave the particles there. Logic behind that; we want the best product for the client but know if we redo an entire bumper and spend 3-4 more hours, what if we get another debris in a more obvious area?

same situation as above, but say the particles are on the top/middle bumper area, and white particles on a black car. Well, if we cannot remedy the problem with favorable results, we redo the entire installation on bumper.

we can afford to do so in such circumstances because we charge accordingly and it’s our business model. I cannot say the same for other shops if they’re competing on price, and you can understand why.

so, long answer, were you over-promised and under-delivered? Or, do you have something that’s the best your installer can perform?

if you share photos of what you’re concerned about, I can better help navigate your concerns

Old 02-08-2020 | 06:06 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

There are prob 9-10 tiny air bubble marks on the hood for example. They are very hard to photograph but I tried. Installer is like you, there is a point where pulling it off a oanek can not necessarily be the best idea. They did that on the bumper so I know they care. As I said before prob with black I guess is these marks stick out so much more.
Old 02-08-2020 | 06:34 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thanks! Your car looks great! Guessing you use the Cleaner Fluid regular? I need to get more info if that fills or removes swirls. As much as I like to remove swirls through traditional polishing, I would be happy with filling.
As they say a picture tells the story. Black is not a color, it’s an obsession! I use the cleaner with a buffer once a year. 3 or 4 times a year with the wax. Love this stuff. Takes out any swirl marks.

Old 02-08-2020 | 06:59 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

OK, a couple pics. I drive it every week to 10 days, but it’s been cold and pretty crappy the last week or so. The Benz is filthy.

Old 07-07-2020 | 02:45 AM
iloveporsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by Keadog
OK, a couple pics. I drive it every week to 10 days, but it’s been cold and pretty crappy the last week or so. The Benz is filthy.

Looks great! Is that solid or metallic black?

Quick Reply: For those with PPF on black cars..expectations?