Sponsored by:

Cleaning Satin Black Finish Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020 | 08:14 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Just saw this so you know I have to respond:
I would spend $15K (or $11k or whatever your math says) on fixing the need to respond. Thats hundreds of sessions with a professional.. Its an investment that will pay dividends throughout your life and will help you in a million different ways.
Personal growth trumps $$$, assets and accomplishments 10X over.. Just a thought
Old 06-09-2020 | 08:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
991.1GTS (06-19-2020), calijax (06-09-2020), desmotesta (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020 | 08:53 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Anyway, back to the topic. I just bought a set of 22" Matte Black G63 wheels and I am thinking about ceramic coating them myself since my build has been delayed (was going to have them coated with the rest of the vehicle): anyone tried an east at home ceramic coat for the matte wheels?
I was able to keep my Carrera satin black wheels looking pretty nice with the following regimen.

CarPro Quartz Dlux wheel and trim coating when new and then a nice clean and reapplication every year.
Wash with Griots brilliant finish car wash (I choose this because the smell is pleasant), foamed onto the wheel then agitated with boars hair brush
I'd use Griots Iron and fallout remover every 2nd to 3rd wash (clings well to the surface of the wheel)
Another quick wash with the car was soap
If I wanted to sit an admire the car afterwards I would spray the wheels down with Griots black satin tire coating and wipe off the excess to an even sating finish. Only downfall as this stuff has a tendency to attract dust.
Old 06-09-2020 | 09:21 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
I was able to keep my Carrera satin black wheels looking pretty nice with the following regimen.

CarPro Quartz Dlux wheel and trim coating when new and then a nice clean and reapplication every year.
Wash with Griots brilliant finish car wash (I choose this because the smell is pleasant), foamed onto the wheel then agitated with boars hair brush
I'd use Griots Iron and fallout remover every 2nd to 3rd wash (clings well to the surface of the wheel)
Another quick wash with the car was soap
If I wanted to sit an admire the car afterwards I would spray the wheels down with Griots black satin tire coating and wipe off the excess to an even sating finish. Only downfall as this stuff has a tendency to attract dust.
Thanks much, and after spending some time last might looking into products I think it is best to just have my PPF/Ceramic guy do them when he does the entire vehicle after it arrives, just like he did my Targa, And I really do not like to get my hands dirty.

On the otherhand, desmotesta appears to be the one with issues here since he seems to have no clue about my sense of humor here.
Old 06-09-2020 | 11:22 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks much, and after spending some time last might looking into products I think it is best to just have my PPF/Ceramic guy do them when he does the entire vehicle after it arrives, just like he did my Targa, And I really do not like to get my hands dirty.

On the otherhand, desmotesta appears to be the one with issues here since he seems to have no clue about my sense of humor here.
Starting with brand new wheels is ideal. A good wash is all that is likely needed. Iron and Tar removers shouldn’t be needed. I like Gyeon products. You could apply 2 layers of Gyeon Mohs with min 1 hour wait in between followed by a min 4 hour wait and then 1 or 2 layers of Gyeon Can Coat. Still want to love the wheels a bit more, use Gyeon Wetcoat. Wetcoat is a spray on and rinse of layer. You now have a wheel that will look really rich and will be easy to wash. And the Mohs Quartz coating has some added protection over it. Or just pay someone to do it if you know they will do a stellar job. If you do it yourself, you know it will be done right and you want it done right since the wheels do take a good bit a abuse from the elements.
Old 09-30-2020 | 11:29 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Just saw this so you know I have to respond: Your math is just a wee bit off. I did just as much for the looks as not dealing with brake dust, and I almost made out the same compared to the cost if I had ordered them when I had the car built. I bought a set of PCCB rotors/calipers, etc. for about $11k, $750 more in needed parts, sold my Reds takeoffs for $3500 and paid $250 to swap them so I think I made out pretty well.

Anyway, back to the topic. I just bought a set of 22" Matte Black G63 wheels and I am thinking about ceramic coating them myself since my build has been delayed (was going to have them coated with the rest of the vehicle): anyone tried an east at home ceramic coat for the matte wheels?
Just saw this now, just busting *****. I would have PCCB's too if I had the means.

--------------------------------------------

Regarding cleaners, I had bought the 5L container of Sonax (old formula). I thought it was just OK, wheels needed more agitation then I would like to really get clean. Maybe the new formula is better. Might give Car Pro Iron X a try next time.

I had good luck with the Gyeon Pro kit on my HRE's. The Kamikaze kit looks nice too. I can't speak to matte finish with it though as mine are glossy.
https://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-rim-pro-kit/

I also use Car Pro Elixir detailer on my wheels, as well as the rest of the car. I LOVE this stuff. So many people ask me how I keep my black car so clean. This is the answer.
https://www.carpro-us.com/quick-deta...er-500ml-17oz/

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 09-30-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-30-2020 | 11:47 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Lots of good info here. Thanks everyone. Looking to keep these babies clean although the color of these wheels helps prolong the cleaning intervals.

Old 09-30-2020 | 11:58 AM
Highyo
Pro

Beaselys goes on white and you really have to get your cleaning instrument or rag on every inch it hits. this one is really tough but 80% of the look is really good. 20% extra will take so much more time, and as soon as you heavily break you'll have to start over. ceramics are definitely not to be viewed in a vacuum. think of all the time you save never having to clean your wheels. it's worth something.

for me, best method I have used is:

rinse with water
sonax wheel cleaner
scrub with boars hair brush and woolie for the interior of the wheels
rinse
run car wash soap over wheels after the final rinse
armor all wheel protectant (or sonax has one thats much more expensive but broadly similar performance wise)
while armor all is wet, use microfiber to spread around (and it removes any dirt missed)

that's pretty complete.
Old 10-02-2020 | 02:45 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

+1 for Dr. Beasley's matte wheel cleaner. https://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-wheel-cleanser.html

I tried out a whole lot of cleaners and approaches two years back. Dr. Beasley's was the only one that seemed to really do the job.

I spray it on and then clean the wheel with brush, terry-covered sponge, etc dipped in water bucket with matte paint soap.

Still have to blow dry or drive promptly so brake disc rust doesn't end up back on the wheel.
Old 10-02-2020 | 03:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I forgot that the my detailer gave me a bottle of Cool Guy and it worked wonders on the P-car before I got PCCBs but I tried in on the new G550's matte Black wheels after about 600 miles of new brake dust and it worked just as well: https://shinesupply.com/products/cool-guy

Quick Reply: Cleaning Satin Black Finish Wheels