Old 01-29-2020, 01:40 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
2018 911T
Now in mid 80’s
Check AutoTrader and Cars.com
This one has been on the market since October..... https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=527717625
Or this one ....https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=537609655
OP - given your draw to GT-class cars, I don't think you can go wrong with the 911 T. While it isn't a GT car to be clear - it is a fantastic and raw ride. If you're concerned about turbos, you shouldn't be in this car. I would encourage you to test drive one and see for yourself.

That said, the two listed here are interesting. I personally think the first one is a bit overpriced given the mileage and the second is pretty good but you have to be ok with yellow (nothing wrong with yellow, just need to want/love it!).

Edit: Yellow is PDK, so it's out...
Old 02-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments. Sorry for going silent but I've been busy oogling cars on car websites!

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/
Thanks for the link. It's funny but I have multiple cars saved on Autotrader and Autolist that just dont show up on this site. Makes me wonder if this is an official Porsche sponsored site? If so, I think something is not quite right with it. I could give explicit examples if anyone here is affiliated with the site.

Originally Posted by BSO
It all boils down to budget and availability of the model/equipment you want.

Compromise is key, I looked at the used market and found nothing that suited me, two popular options that I definitely didn't want, black interiors and sunroofs, cut down on possible candidates very sharply. Ordered one instead.

One option I wasn't willing to forego was AWD, so it was a C4 at first but ended up with a C4S and I'm quite happy with the choice.
How true. Funny I too would prefer non-black interior but what I'm discovering is that the black interior seems to show less wear with age so I'm slightly coming off of that requirement. As I've been searching more, I'm raising my requirement for two things:
1 - multifunction wheel. I cant imagine driving a car these days without being able to change the volume etc instinctively with my thumb on the wheel. I use it extensively on the Pana.
2 - sport chrono. Turns out the auto-blip was only on chrono-optioned cars. I have to think the clutches on these will be far superior on used cars?

Originally Posted by BSO
The .2s have had issues with the water pumps, a topic that has been covered in the forum. Other concerns, that the .1s have experienced (the .2s are similarly equipped), are failed change-over valves, some PDK failures, as well as manual trans reverse light failures (the switch is buried inside the transmission and Porsche says that the transmission is replaced as a fix, ridiculous as that sounds) and door panels where the panel lifts away (located on the inside, top of the door panels).
Thank you. This is precisely the information I was looking for.

Originally Posted by B Russ
I have a 18 Pan turbo and recently got a 2017 911 4s but its PDK. Im very happy with it but the Pan seems faster.
I suspected the Pana would feel faster than a 991.2s. I presume you mean throughout the power band. I don't care about 0-60 launches, and frankly I have never launched my Panamera. What I do care about, however, is torque from 2,000+ RPM, which is why I'd be looking to tune the 991.2. Have you considered that on your 911? I've convinced myself number-wise (power-weight ratio) that a tuned 911.2s would feel the same/faster than the 18 Pana turbo. Granted numbers != butt feel.

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
The base car has plenty of grunt for me. NA vs. Turbo has been done a lot in various threads; get what you want. Before I owned my 911, I had a '14 Cayman S with the NA 3.4l, so I get where you are coming from. It was a very lively car if you spun it through the rev range. But I am normally a pretty laid back driver, and not a track guy, so take this with a grain of salt, but I can't perceive any turbo lag in the 3.0lT. So vs. the 3.4 in my Cayman, it makes a more satisfactory daily driver. If you need to dart past some slow traffic on the freeway, downshift a gear of two and BAM you are gone. It is strong from 1,500 to redline. I suspect a tune on a 991.2 would be a hoot to drive.

Good luck! The search for the right car is a lot of fun.
Thanks, good to hear. Comments like these are making me drop my NA requirement. I can get so much more torque (post-tune) with the turbo, and its frankly another reason to work the manual transmission into the right gear!

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Just curious: if comfort is important, and you really are inclined to GT use, then why consider models like the GT3 and GT4? Those are more like track toys that might get old after a few hours on the road. And don't dismiss turbo models, bit T or little t, without trying some.
I'm starting to question my definition of Grand Tourer. To me, GT has meant top luxury and performance for longer-range driving (touring!). Whereas I think you're right, it seems to be used across the industry for just top performance. The one exception seems to be how Porsche uses "Touring" in the GT3 touring package, where you get leather, manual, and understated design (like deleting the fixed wing).

Originally Posted by spiderv6
There is only one 2016 (last year of NA), manual 4S for sale in the country according to cars.com. Slim pickings!

A couple of GTS listed at <100K as well.

I didn’t realize supply was quite that tight. Maybe that’s why the email campaign is in full swing!
Yes I've been eyeing a couple of the GTS's, probably the ones you see.

What I've found interesting is that there seem to be more cabriolet's than coupes available. I had thought coupes considerably outnumbered cabs, but at least in the current market (granted wintertime), there are lots of cabs out there. I never wanted the cab, but I'm starting to think it might be cool as the summer fun car I intend to use it for. Take this as an unofficial data point, but it almost seems like the cab premium (13k new?) is gone in the secondary market. Or maybe - while the overall car might depreciate 30% in 3 years, the 13k premium for cabs depreciates 70%. Would be interested to see data on this. I suppose I'm indifferent as long as all the other boxes are checked.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up here in the midwest before heading out for a couple test drives. I look forward to posting pictures
Old 02-07-2020, 12:17 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Go see and drive a 50th Anniversary 911, the X51 power kit is 430 hp and yes you can get a CPO. The only issue on your list may be the leather but the rest of the package more than makes up for that, IMHO.

Enjoy your search.

Picked this one up last month - CPO w/ 6k miles

Hot damn, that is nice. There seem to be a few available nationwide. Nothing within 600 miles though.

One chalk or grey one in particular. And it appears to be cloth seat inserts, which I am cool with, just need to avoid alcantera.

Quick Reply: Advice on used 991