Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple green and matte black (or any) wheels: Bad idea? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020 | 12:47 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Default Simple green and matte black (or any) wheels: Bad idea? Alternatives?

In my continuing hate-fest with keeping my wheels from degrading over time I'm bailing out of Simple Green I think. There is an aircraft version Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and another called Pro HD.

Any thoughts from you folks?

This thread is interesting: https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...-aluminum.html

Old 01-26-2020 | 05:38 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Simple green definitely corrodes and degrades aluminum. I used it years ago to clean my BMW wheels and it made my calipers (unfinished aluminum) look like they spent a year in sea water. I have never used it again!
Old 01-26-2020 | 05:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I asked my PPF guy when I had my car done if I could use Simple Green when the brake dust built up and he almost passed out! No, do not use it, even if diluted a lot since there are many other things to use. I use OptiRinse albeit my car was coated with OptiCoat. Then again there was really nothing that kept the brake dust other than getting PCCBs.

Here are a few suggestions: https://autowise.com/brake-dust-cleaners/
Old 01-26-2020 | 06:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Simple Green for wheels? No, and it's also pretty awful stuff to send down the drain—this despite its name.

Most wheel people I have spoken to seem to like the same soap used to wash a car's body...in other words, mild stuff. Some other good solutions listed above. I may check some out…
Old 01-26-2020 | 06:35 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I asked my PPF guy when I had my car done if I could use Simple Green when the brake dust built up and he almost passed out! No, do not use it, even if diluted a lot since there are many other things to use. I use OptiRinse albeit my car was coated with OptiCoat. Then again there was really nothing that kept the brake dust other than getting PCCBs.

Here are a few suggestions: https://autowise.com/brake-dust-cleaners/
Very helpful article. One question I am left with: What, if any, affect do these cleaners have on brake parts...and particularly PCCB rotors and pads?
Old 01-26-2020 | 07:19 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I’ve been using this stuff (but not from this place - I bought a bunch late last year during Autogeek’s sale):

https://clean-garage.com/p-s-detaili...16oz-4-towels/
Old 01-26-2020 | 07:26 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

The best I have found for regular and normal cleaning of wheels is P21s total auto wash diluted 50/50 with water in a spray bottle.

I hit the wheels and tires. Wheel well liners. And also I hit the exhaust pipes. I let it soak a few minutes and mix a 1/2 wash bucket with car wash solution and hit the wheels, tail pipes etc.

If things get really cruddy my next attack is Sonax full effect but I always start with the P21S. The Sonax is more aggressive.

Most important thing is to either use a second bucket for body washing or make a clean bucket after the wheels are washed.

P21s can be used on paintwork, and is great when you are doing a full detail or trying to remove tar or bugs. However it strips most wax and sealants so I wet the car down before spraying the wheels and keep overspray down. (good practice with any wheel cleaner)
Old 01-26-2020 | 07:38 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Very helpful article. One question I am left with: What, if any, affect do these cleaners have on brake parts...and particularly PCCB rotors and pads?
Some of these products are really bad for wheels and aluminum parts.

On my Mustang, the Meguires hot wheels in the pink bottle destroyed a set of aluminum wheel spacers and etched my winter wheels pretty bad. There were some chips in the coating on the wheels and basically the cleaner ate from the chip outward. I also have seen other similar “safe” cleaners Turk aluminum suspension parts white.

Sonax or P21s wheel cleaners are the only ones I use at this point. Even then, I only grab them when I am trying to get baked in brake dust off the hubs and wheels.

The Sonax will turn rotors purple while washing as the product reacts with iron but causes no long term effect.

End of the day, best option is to wash often to keep the dust from attaching, and use something mild. I like the P21s total wash since it is a degreaser and cuts the “greasiness” of the brake dust.

The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020 | 09:25 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Simple Green makes a wheel specific product

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-G...1024/207156629

Old 01-26-2020 | 09:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There were some comparison tests done on YouTube a few years back and this stuff won. I get for a $1 per bottle at my local One Dollar Zone store. Works perfectly, brake dust slides right off the wheel.

Old 01-26-2020 | 10:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
There were some comparison tests done on YouTube a few years back and this stuff won. I get for a $1 per bottle at my local One Dollar Zone store. Works perfectly, brake dust slides right off the wheel.

$1 products to be used on the car kind of scare me. Can you get an MSDS for this. Just curious.
Old 01-26-2020 | 10:33 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Check out P&S Brake Buster. It’s cheap, works extremely well and can be diluted in a foamer.
The following users liked this post:
rchaas (02-02-2020)
Old 01-26-2020 | 10:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
$1 products to be used on the car kind of scare me. Can you get an MSDS for this. Just curious.
Brake dust doesn't know how much the car is worth. I have been using the stuff for years on far more expensive cars than a 991.

Check out their website for MSDS. http://www.lastotallyawesome.com
Old 01-26-2020 | 11:55 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I don't know to much about black wheels but I just starting using this on my silver wheels and it's great besides the smell. Smells horrible.

https://adamspolishes.com/products/a...hoCpeUQAvD_BwE
Old 01-27-2020 | 12:09 AM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Brake dust doesn't know how much the car is worth. I have been using the stuff for years on far more expensive cars than a 991.

Check out their website for MSDS. http://www.lastotallyawesome.com

I didn't see any info or MSDS. I do know that Totally Awesome makes some incredible products and sells them crazy cheap. I'll buy some and do a PH test on it. I bought some of the Aircraft simple green that's aluminum safe I haven't received it yet but will check it too. I think it says it's 8-9.5 PH

Quick Reply: Simple green and matte black (or any) wheels: Bad idea? Alternatives?