Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple green and matte black (or any) wheels: Bad idea? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 12:42 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

I'd always just used the same bucket from the car wash with soft brush or two.
Once in a while hit them with Sonax full effect, amazing for the tougher stuff and leaves the entire suspension/carrier/caliper like new.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:03 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

This is the best stuff for matt wheels. Had matt HRE's on a previous 4S and this stuff worked great.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
flatsixfanatic82 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:52 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I was expecting this thread to mention the chalky finish that Simple Green leaves on wheels and paint work. I used it once 15-20yrs ago, and that was the last time.

For maintenance cleaning, we generally like to use the same soap that we use for the rest of the car when possible. P21S TAW is an excellent product to provide a bit more cleaning power. P21S has been our long-time go-to all-purpose cleaner for many years.

If the wheels aren't protected with ceramic coating or wax/sealant, we'll use a pH-neutral (ie NOT acid-based) cleaner like Sonax Wheel Cleaner or Gyeon Iron to safely dissolve the embedded iron-heavy brake dust. But if you're noticing that the brake dust is building up on your wheels and not washing off easily, you need to give the wheels a thorough cleaning and apply a quality ceramic coating (best) or wax/sealant (good, but needs frequent reapplication) to provide a protective layer on the surface. After this, you'll notice the brake dust will accumulate much more slowly and you'll be able to wash the wheels clean without any harsh cleaners or scrubbing.

Originally Posted by stout
Very helpful article. One question I am left with: What, if any, affect do these cleaners have on brake parts...and particularly PCCB rotors and pads?
Hi Pete - we generally try to keep the chemicals off the rotors and pads as much as possible by aiming any spray product away from the brake components and when cleaning the calipers we apply the product to our brushes to control where the cleaners go. I wouldn't fuss too much over this if you're using the types of cleaning products I've suggested above, but I would NOT suggest using any of the "wheel acid" products. Those do get things incredibly clean, but they're incredibly aggressive on the materials exposed to it. It's kind of like using a chemical sand-blaster. You can get exceptional results without using noxious chemicals.

In terms of damaging your PCCB components, brake systems are designed to be exposed to a lot of things: heat, chemical and physical contamination, debris. The pads have some iron ingredients, but even if the pad surfaces start oxidizing slightly from the wash process you'll find it rubs off immediately when you use the brakes again.

I hope this helps!

- Gerard

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Porsche_nuts (01-28-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I bought a PH meter and checked few things. Note: It was not calibrated, but for the sake of comparison it's accurate enough.

I checked Simple Green, Simple Green Extreme which is supposed to be safe for aluminum, and Totally Awesome wheel and what's interesting is Simple Green measured 9.2 and the Extreme which is supposed to be aluminum safe was 10.54 and Totally Awesome was 11.46

Old 02-02-2020, 12:30 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

P&S Brake Buster seems to be a decent product unless everyone on YouTube drank the koolaid. It foams super well and diluting it for use in a foamer will make it go a long way. A gallon for $22 and diluteable and nonacid and with rust inhibitors, seems like it worth trying.
rchaas (02-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Simple green and matte black (or any) wheels: Bad idea? Alternatives?