Sponsored by:

911 991 vs M4 vs CS63 AMG S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:07 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

I disagree.

I think you can buy a very nice 991 for $50-$55k and use it as a daily driver, and although maintenance may be little more than for the BMW and Merc you will more than make this up when you sell as the 991 won't depreciate as much.

Last summer I paid $51.5k for a Certified 2013 991 C2, fairly low spec (not stripped), with 48k miles. Condition was close to new inside/out.

It got totaled so I replaced it with another 2013 991, this one loaded, and with 28k miles. Paid $52k. Not Certified but I added a Fidelity warranty so total cost was $55k.

This is now my DD and it's running great, looks pretty much new inside and out.

The following 2 users liked this post by sr5959:
flgfish (01-22-2020), Infectionitus (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Well, you may be right. I went down this path with a different (non-Porsche) car and it didn't work out so well, but you are a much better negotiator than I am
The following users liked this post:
Infectionitus (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 08:17 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Well, you may be right. I went down this path with a different (non-Porsche) car and it didn't work out so well, but you are a much better negotiator than I am
Ha! I think I'm pretty good, but in both of these purchases I got very little discount off the advertised price. Just have to watch the ads daily and make a quick decision when you see a good deal.
Infectionitus (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 08:44 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
based on what I am reading if you get into a 50k+ car its a stretch, financially. I would not even look at 911's purely from that aspect of it. I honestly would not even be looking into any of the cars that you are thinking of buying.

If I had to get one of the three, it would likely be an F80M3, non comp and heres why. I really dont think the 911 is financially the best move for you, the Merc will depreciate the most and so that is ruled out. The F80 wasnt a full production run car, just like the E90M there will be less of them on the road. Pending the options/color (think stripper model) these cars will be desirable in the future. You also can easily mod these cars to make up for the things the non comp F80M doesnt have. And out of pocket should be the least.
totally see it the same way, even though a 911 would be a great car, it is less practical for a daily and if you drive a lot of miles you're just taking a larger hit depreciation and maintenance.
f80's have been relatively bullet proof (get a crank hub mod if you are going to mod the engine to be safe).
Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 PM
Infectionitus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah im checking car max and auto trader every day for 911 991's and m4's. I want a Black convertible competition m4 with red seats if I get an m4, I could maybe settle for non competition. If I get a porsche I want it to be grey, silver, or black and the interior I dont care about. I am coming from a bmw 328i 2007 coupe so either one of these cars I know I'll be happy with honestly.

I dont even know a single person who owns a sports car or a true high end luxury car where I live, so which ever car I get will be impressive to everyone I know including myself. Most the people I know don't even understand the value of porsche and think the M4 is way cooler.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:58 PM
Jartin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Infectionitus
Yeah im checking car max and auto trader every day for 911 991's and m4's. I want a Black convertible competition m4 with red seats if I get an m4, I could maybe settle for non competition. If I get a porsche I want it to be grey, silver, or black and the interior I dont care about. I am coming from a bmw 328i 2007 coupe so either one of these cars I know I'll be happy with honestly.
I'd also be checking Autotempest and CarGurus.
passat774 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 10:56 PM
Infectionitus
Intermediate

What do you guys think about this porsche? It's a 2012 911 S $58,000, 27,000 miles, 3 owners, and no accidents.

The vin is: WP0AB2A91CS121460

Old 01-21-2020, 11:00 PM
997c2sla
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It has sport exhaust which is nice.
It is missing paddle shifters, deal breaker for me.
It does not have sport chrono package.
110k msrp

i like agate grey color.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

What do you guys think about this porsche? It's a 2012 911 S $58,000, 27,000 miles, 3 owners, and no accidents.

The vin is: WP0AB2A91CS121460
Do you live in Charlotte? My Son worked for these guys for years, one of top salesman. I can see what he can work out. If you aren't in Charlotte I can go check it out. I have my own detailing business and wrench my own Porsches thus I have a fair amount of knowledge. Do get a PPI with these guys OK.

This car probably does not have a backup camera if that is important to you.

PM if you need help.
Infectionitus (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:39 PM
Infectionitus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Do you live in Charlotte? My Son worked for these guys for years, one of top salesman. I can see what he can work out. If you aren't in Charlotte I can go check it out. I have my own detailing business and wrench my own Porsches thus I have a fair amount of knowledge. Do get a PPI with these guys OK.

This car probably does not have a backup camera if that is important to you.

PM if you need help.
I live in Oregon, Im not sure if I want to buy this exact car yet but I'll definetely PM you if I need any help. I really appreciate the offer for help though.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Maybe just take Uber and Lyft?
Old 01-22-2020, 02:51 PM
Infectionitus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Maybe just take Uber and Lyft?
Lol I think I would have to fly there. I need to figure out how to buy a car out of state. I'm not sure how I would get a mechanic to check the car out down there. I wonder if a porsche dealer ship down there could inspect a car for me if I paid them.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:07 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Lol I think I would have to fly there. I need to figure out how to buy a car out of state. I'm not sure how I would get a mechanic to check the car out down there. I wonder if a porsche dealer ship down there could inspect a car for me if I paid them.
It’s easy! When you find a car you want to have a PPI done on, just ask here on Rennlist for recommendations for someone in the local area. But if you decide to buy I definitely recommend flying out and inspecting the car yourself as well.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:51 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
totally see it the same way, even though a 911 would be a great car, it is less practical for a daily and if you drive a lot of miles you're just taking a larger hit depreciation and maintenance.
f80's have been relatively bullet proof (get a crank hub mod if you are going to mod the engine to be safe).
Spot on!

I dont even know a single person who owns a sports car or a true high end luxury car where I live, so which ever car I get will be impressive to everyone I know including myself. Most the people I know don't even understand the value of porsche and think the M4 is way cooler.
Thats why I said none of those cars are a good fit for you. E46M and E9XM would be worlds ahead in performance but on par with interior. F3X 335 would be a natural progression and not blow out your wallet.

Little back story; When I was 18-19 I saw a 2004 E46M for sale local to me. Guy was selling cause the E9XM was coming out the following year. He had it price fairly well. But I still could not afford it. I stay in touch with him but I also valued being debt free once I was done with my undergrads. Fast Forward about 8-9 months and he texts me saying his car is due for delivery at the local dealer any time and asked if I was still interested. Came down to my price point, I could "afford" the purchase of the car but not even close to being able to enjoy it let alone the full maintenance. So against my better judgement I pulled the trigger and bought it, cash.. stupidest decision I made in my life. I now had to work like crazy just to pay off college/books/ect and all cause I was driving a awesome car. I started to really resent my purchase because 1- I was driving it and it was a DD and miles were adding fast, 2- I had very little time to spend with anyone due to extra hours I was taking to work more, to keep focused on my goal and set aside 2-3k a year for car maintenance/unexpected and 3- (this was the worst) all the new friends I made (who were much older and in better positions, financially) were able to truly afford similar cars. Thus they can splurge and mod them. But I couldnt, or I would have to sacrifice somewhere to do so. Anyway long story long, if I could redo it, I wouldnt have made that same purchase 12 years ago. I learned a lot from it but it wasnt worth it. To me take your budget and multiply it by 1.5-2 and if you can drop that much on it, then you can truly afford it. It's not worth the decrease in quality of life just to be driving X car. Where a 5-10k Honda S2K will give you the same if not WAY more feels.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Infectionitus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911.
Spot on!

Thats why I said none of those cars are a good fit for you. E46M and E9XM would be worlds ahead in performance but on par with interior. F3X 335 would be a natural progression and not blow out your wallet.

Little back story; When I was 18-19 I saw a 2004 E46M for sale local to me. Guy was selling cause the E9XM was coming out the following year. He had it price fairly well. But I still could not afford it. I stay in touch with him but I also valued being debt free once I was done with my undergrads. Fast Forward about 8-9 months and he texts me saying his car is due for delivery at the local dealer any time and asked if I was still interested. Came down to my price point, I could "afford" the purchase of the car but not even close to being able to enjoy it let alone the full maintenance. So against my better judgement I pulled the trigger and bought it, cash.. stupidest decision I made in my life. I now had to work like crazy just to pay off college/books/ect and all cause I was driving a awesome car. I started to really resent my purchase because 1- I was driving it and it was a DD and miles were adding fast, 2- I had very little time to spend with anyone due to extra hours I was taking to work more, to keep focused on my goal and set aside 2-3k a year for car maintenance/unexpected and 3- (this was the worst) all the new friends I made (who were much older and in better positions, financially) were able to truly afford similar cars. Thus they can splurge and mod them. But I couldnt, or I would have to sacrifice somewhere to do so. Anyway long story long, if I could redo it, I wouldnt have made that same purchase 12 years ago. I learned a lot from it but it wasnt worth it. To me take your budget and multiply it by 1.5-2 and if you can drop that much on it, then you can truly afford it. It's not worth the decrease in quality of life just to be driving X car. Where a 5-10k Honda S2K will give you the same if not WAY more feels.
The situatuion I am in right now basically is that I have a trust fund invested in bonds through a financial advisor with a full time job, the trust matches whatever money I make a month. So including my money being matched I get about $4,700 a month. If I buy the car I'll put down about 35k cash right now and finance the rest. I get about $130,000 in a year and a half from now from getting 1/3 of the trust, once I get that I'll pay off the rest of my car. I also was left a house that the land has quadroupled in value and is worth about $2,000,000 according to multiple realistate agents and should be selling in the next 1 to 3 years, I've been getting lots of low ball offers. When the house does sell I'll be buying my mother her own house and also a house for myself, and putting the rest in stocks and bonds. At the moment I have zero debt and live in this house with my mom because I'm to frugal to pay $1500 a month for a appartment lol.

So I am in a good position to buy a nice car but I am trying to control my self and put a limit of between $40,000 to $65,000. I don't feel like im spending to much on a car for my situation but maybe my mental grasp on how hard it is to earn money is not completely right since I in all honesty inherited everything I have. This might be to much info but I figured it would put my mental thought process more into perspective for people so I don't sound like I'm over extending myself to much. I listen to a lot of Dave Ramsey financial advice and stuff but it only helps so much.

Quick Reply: 911 991 vs M4 vs CS63 AMG S