Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to add a MF steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 03:31 AM
Pwannabe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is it possible to add a MF steering wheel?

I have a 2017 4-GTS with manual transmission and the GT sport steering wheel. Unfortunately, I have contacted 4-5 dealerships across my neighboring states, as well as some well-known indy shops, to figure out who can help me with this, but so far no luck. The GT sport multifunction wheel is available, and I need an additional wiring harness, steering column housing piece to account for removing the current "control stalk", but apparently the issue is in the software coding.

After working on it for a bit, every dealership (Vancouver BC, the 3 in Washington, and 2 in Oregon) have given up. But when I call Suncoast, they claim it's easy.

Is this not possible?? Do you know of anyone who has successfully done this?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Search this forum and you will find what you need.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Pwannabe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Search this forum and you will find what you need.
Thanks Bob Z, have tried over the past 6 months digging across the internet for this but haven't actually found anyone who has done it. Rennlist has numerous threads for putting a MF 991.2 steering wheel on Panameras, 991.1, and 997s, but actually no one has posted success on a 991.2. The coding is very different and Porsche has made it harder than before; that's why no Indy shop would do it regardless of price. There's a foreign youtube video that has done it but it sounded like quite a custom job.

I was hoping that the lack of found solutions does not confirm that it's not doable, but since /some/ dealerships have claimed success, I was hoping someone here could share their experience.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Sorry, I could have sworn I have seen threads here where people have done it.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:24 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

It can be done-I have successfully
done it to my car with no issues. Search for threads started under my name and you will find it. Let me know if you have any specific questions once you take a look.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:09 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Hmmm... odd one. Porsche Centre Vancouver removed my 991.2 multi-function buttons, replaced with plain, added a forth-stalk clockspring and wiring harness and reprogrammed it and it works fine. I did lose the heat button function and have considered taking it back but haven't had the time. I can't see why they can't do it to a 991.1, unless the programming is different for some reason. Did you speak with Rob, the parts manager?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to add a MF steering wheel?