Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa 4S vs Targa 4GTS differences (especially suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM
2001_S15
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Targa 4S vs Targa 4GTS differences (especially suspension)

Hello folk,

I'm considering ordering a 991.2 Targa 4S or 4GTS. I'm curious about the differences between the models, other than the obvious appearance and standard equipment as visible through the configurator. The reason I'm doing this comparison is that similarly optioned the GTS is ~$5k more than the 4S and so it seems like it might be worth it for a little more power & exclusivity.

I'm aware of the differences in hardware in the engine department.
I'm specifically curious if there are differences to ride/suspension. I understand the GTS coupe has the Sport PASM but that seems not to exist in the Targa models. Basically I'm curious if the Targa 4GTS will ride like a 4S with PASM/Sport Chrono, or if there are additional changes not reflected in the spec sheets - i.e. from a ride perspective is the GTS Targa variant just a bundle of standard 4S options & some extra appearance kit?

Additionally, folk with the SportDesign front lip, do you have any issues clearing driveways that meet the street with standard rolled curbs? (i.e. no cutout)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 657 Posts

I think the front fascia on the GTS lowers the clearance in front; I don't know of any other suspension differences.
Do you have an allocation for either/both? My dealer, albeit smaller than the big boys, did not have a first round Targa GTS allocation for me to change to from my Targa 4S order and I was told I was first to ask for one. They got a GTS coupe and cab allocation but not a Targa.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Differences:
1. Powerkit (few extra HP)
2. Aesthetics
a. Interior package
b. Exterior sport kit + centerlocks

Think of the GTS as a bundle for certain options. You can get a non GTS with the same options but pay more a la carte for the same thing.

No difference in suspension.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:53 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Not to compare apples and bananas, but when we were spec'ing our .1 Targa, the GTS package wasn't for me. We felt the Targa was a classic/timeless look and I wanted the trim to reflect that. I like today's blacked-out look but I'm not sure how it will age... and we intend to keep our Targa forever. The GTS package was a great value at the time, but it bought stuff we didn't personally want... so we passed. If it's what you want, it's probably a no-brainer. But if its not what you want, saving a few bucks on features you don't care for might not matter.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Targas are quite rare and a GTS Targa even moreso. When in doubt spend the extra coin and step up to a GTS. You'll be glad you did unless you hate a few extra hp, CL wheels and alcantara
Old 02-03-2017, 10:40 PM
2001_S15
Advanced

Talking

Thanks for the thoughts all - I decided to take my chances on the Targa GTS! Placed the deposit this evening for delivery slated June. This is the most expensive thing I've ever bought (other than the house) and 2x the cost of my S6 so a bit scary.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 PM
parealtor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001_S15
Thanks for the thoughts all - I decided to take my chances on the Targa GTS! Placed the deposit this evening for delivery slated June. This is the most expensive thing I've ever bought (other than the house) and 2x the cost of my S6 so a bit scary.
congrats.. one good thing about the targa is the depreciation isnt as severe as other 911 models.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Congrats. My .1 GTS Targa cost MORE than my first house. Gotta pay to play. Welcome to an exclusive and fortunate club. Post up a build sheet once you lock the build!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 657 Posts

Are you going to post your build? It would be nice to see it.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Go for the Targa GTS- it is such a beautiful car, even more so in person. Driving my MT with the top down and hearing the sport exhaust is one of life's great pleasures.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:53 PM
slm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. I also have a .1 Targe GTS. I have had many Porsches including a GT3, GT3 RS, and a GT4. All are gone and I have kept the Targa GTS. I think it may be the best all around car Porsche produces.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:04 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slm
Congrats. I also have a .1 Targe GTS. I have had many Porsches including a GT3, GT3 RS, and a GT4. All are gone and I have kept the Targa GTS. I think it may be the best all around car Porsche produces.
+1. Gorgeous, sporty, comfortable, unique and super rare.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Targa GTS is the Best version. Old school look with all the updates!!! And I have the GTS interior....very cool......and by the way....Torquechap's GTS is very special......
Old 02-04-2017, 06:20 PM
2001_S15
Advanced

I haven't posted the config yet because i've claimed the allocation but not quite locked the config down.

I'm mostly torn on color combo. Things I've been considering:

Agate gray/Black+Bordeaux/Silver targa bar
White/Black+Bordeaux/Black targa bar
Sapphire blue/???/Silver targa bar

The white+black bar looks super hot but the huge down side for me is it mutes the key design element of the car to the point of it almost being invisible. So as cool as it looks I don't think I can do it. Also I have an Ibis White Audi S6 now with black optic and when it gets dirty it looks too much like a rental car!

I'm a bit concerned about the gray having the titch of brown to it, and just generally most porsches being silver/gray/black/white.

My favorite exterior color by far is Sapphire. But I love the red interior and that seems too daring. I have a black interior now and it's boring - no sense of luxury or rarity to it. Not interested in the alcantara either. Maybe some other color combo would go with Sapphire.... black/luxor or espresso/cognac? Or are those too much too?

This is very vexing!
Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 PM
rodney2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Expresso/Cognac would look classy with the sapphire blue. LTS total cognac would be stunning for sure, if Porsche would do it.
The following users liked this post:
goldduster (01-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Targa 4S vs Targa 4GTS differences (especially suspension)