991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durability concern with my 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020 | 07:45 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Both of my current cars have had more issues than any other vehicles I've ever owned, yet they're my two favourites.

991:
  • reverse lights no longer work (7 MT/known issue) PNCA denied warranty
  • Driver tail lamp delamination. PCNA denied warranty
  • Gas tank pads squeaking. PCNA denied warranty, although dealer lubricated and noise hasn't come back since.
  • Squeaks and rattles from sunroof area. DIY fixed 95% of it
  • Driver washer fluid nozzle hose cracked. Given it's a $20 part and a 5 minute job, and my horrible track record with PCNA, I just did the repair myself.

There are probably items I am forgetting but the car is parked for the winter and I can't recall at the moment.

Still plan to keep this car for a long time as I truly love it.
​​​​​​
Meanwhile, my daily driver (2016 Golf R) has had $10k in warranty work completed without any fight from VW. Way better experience than with PCNA. I would never buy another Porsche with any sort of new/CPO warranty as I can't even trust they'd help me.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020 | 07:52 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Knock on wood only one issue with my CPO '17 I've owned for about seven months (well aside from buying a lot of lip balm from all the grinning I do driving it heh )

On return from Long Island NY to Tampa, en route I developed a fault depressing the throttle in 6th to get around a slower car. The fault persisted through several (10?) stop / starts then went away. I didn't see it again until several weeks later, accelerating on the local freeway, I got the same fault.

I made an appointment with my local dealer, Reeves here in Tampa. I took it in for DX and they concluded some part or other in the fuel control system (not sure) needed replacing. This took about a day while I borrowed one of their Macans loaners. Car has not had this fault since.

Otherwise, no problems. Just put on new Michelin PS4S all around. Love the car so far. It's only a base model but I really really like it. One of the reasons I bought my '14 Cayman S was Porsche's reliability reputation, for example being cited as on par with Lexus at the top of their brand reliability ratings. My Cayman had no issues and I hope that my 911 continues to run well. I am glad I have a CPO and with the timing on mine I have four more years of warranty left basically. I am unsure if I'd keep a 911 after the warranty runs out. For the moment though I am trying to drive it like I stole it.
Old 01-18-2020 | 03:21 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Odd that this topic isn't a sticky already. The issues I've come to understand are mostly the mundane but pricey fixes, e.g. electrical. I've had none in the infancy failure period of 10k miles but then my Macan had two electrical issues in that period.
For engine and trans I'm going with statistics showing great reliability and I've custom tuning in progress, with my mundane but spendy items covered by warranty.

Quick Reply: Durability concern with my 991